Global warming - Is it for real?

Talk about politics here.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.

Is global warming really happening?

Yes
77%
No
13%
I'm not sure
10%

Total votes: 79

kunio
Civilian
Favourite Animorph: Rachel

Re: Global warming - Is it for real?

Post by kunio » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:37 am

Post my 2 cents. I voted "no" to global warming in the sense that we aren't heading for catastrophic warming as Al Gore, Bill Nye, and many other climate scientist and politicians would have people believe. The evidence is clear that the models they have produced and used to predict future climate states haven't panned out. Yes there has been some warming, but that's to be expected in this time period because we're still coming out of the Ice Age that happened long ago. Another hole i'll point to is that the Climate is a coupled nonlinear chaotic system and that prediction of future climate states is not possible. The IPCC has even stated this in their reports, yet they look at statistical ensembles (which are very prone to error, bias, and manipulation) to try and create their models.

Think of it this way, roll a ball down a hill with little bumps and depressions in it from from 1 starting position, and then roll another from about 1 cm either to the left or right. The balls will not end up near each other at the end, they will take different trajectories. That my friends is Chaos (Chaos Theory). Basically means our ability to predict things further and further our diminished because of error in our calculations (which compounds as the system proceeds in time, ie ball rolls down the hill), either due to not enough information or because of measurement error. We've known this for years in Weather forecasting, yet the climate models are still prone to this error because the Weather (over a long period of time) "essentially" makes up the climate.

Final note I'll make about the models is that they are severely biased in that they only predict warming year over year. They are somewhat bounded not to grow exponentially and make predictions of say 150 degrees F, but they are geared to only show warming, which is a fatal flaw.

Hope this clears some stuff up for people!

Emilyrose
Gedd

Post by Emilyrose » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:58 pm

I think this global warming hype is a ridiculous distraction from real issues. This planet has been going through natural weather fluctuations for its entire existence, and it will continue to do so.

Spencer
Rampant AI
Rampant AI
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Post by Spencer » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:31 pm

Spencer wrote:Up until a few years ago, not using fossil fuels wasn't an option, because the current generation hybrid vehicle's batteries are worse than fuel. But with the relatively recent addition of hydrogen fuel cells we can finally move away from petrol and towards a more Eco friendly future. Just because I think global warming is a scam doesn't means I don't believe in treating the planet half decent. The less negative impact we have on the planet the better.

I don't have to feel guilty about using electricity because I live in Oregon. The vast majority of our power comes from hydro electric dams. Very little negative environmental impact there.
Amazing what over six years of time can do to your outlook. How it can change your views.

I'm a lot less conservative than I used to be, and I don't think of global warming as a scam anymore. I think it's a serious issue, and I hate how its basically just a political talking point.

Yes, the stuff in An Inconvenient Truth back in the day was way overhyped. Climate change isn't going to happen overnight, but it is a long term problem that we need to keep an eye on.

mainstreet52
Civilian

Post by mainstreet52 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:57 pm

Climate change is real. Climate change is a long-term problem, but not so long that the majority of us in the Animorphs generation might not deal with the effects of it.

We're already seeing some effects. For instance, a big part of the causes of problems in the Sudan and a few other places in the middle east is a drastic water shortage caused in part by rising temperatures and a more arid climate. The effects of climate change are far more numerous and subtle than they appear.

The problem isn't catastrophe "oceans swallow everyone"... at least, not directly.

If the sea level rises a foot in Florida, millions of people will be homeless.

Whether humans are a factor in causing climate change is in fact the biggest red herring that has ever been discussed.

IT. DOESN'T. MATTER.

If we do nothing to combat climate change, over the next 50 years, we'll have many millions of people lose their homes, trillions of dollars in property losses, and deaths in the thousands or possibly even into the millions, depending on what you count as a climate change impacted death. I don't CARE if we caused it, we better damn well be stopping it. Because, you know, I want to not die. We must not give in to fatalism. Even if we don't succeed, we have a moral obligation to try our hardest and try to save lives.

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Post by Tobias_Marco » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:02 pm

<One funny argument is "What if climate change is a lie and we do all this work to save the planet for nothing?", and effort to make the world a better place will not be wasted. If we all switch from plastic bags to paper or cloth bags, or from paper bags to cloth, and we all stop buying paper plates and bowls, and plastic forks, knives, and spoons, and instead use metal ones that we wash and reuse, we all started collecting rain water for home use and we all put solar panels on our roofs to power our homes? How could any of that possibility make things worse?>
<Please somebody write me a realistic story about a future where everyone does all these things, yet it makes things worse. And businesses going bankrupt doesn't count.>
True education, true science, true religion is the search for truth.
Matthew 28:16-20, John 3:14-20

crosenbauer2112
Gedd
Favourite Animorph: Ax

Post by crosenbauer2112 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:56 am

I'm pretty sure global warming is happening. But I do believe that it's a natural thing, at least a little. Humans have just exacerbated the process to an extreme.

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Post by Tobias_Marco » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:00 pm

<Even if that is true, and it may very well be true. How could our efforts to save the planet possibly make things worse?!?>
True education, true science, true religion is the search for truth.
Matthew 28:16-20, John 3:14-20