This is why humans absolutely must stop reproducing

Talk about politics here.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
Dr Sario
GIMPer
GIMPer
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Re: This is why humans absolutely must stop reproducing

Post by Dr Sario » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:39 am

capnnerefir wrote:And if anyone points out that I started making jokes before Snoopy got here, let's just blame it on my psychic powers.
Wow... ANOTHER psychic? ANOTHER person with a psi power? I'm a telepath; unfortunately, my ability decreases with the square of the distance.
"He who fights monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster."

Spencer
Rampant AI
Rampant AI
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Post by Spencer » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:28 am

Like gravity?

Dr Sario
GIMPer
GIMPer

Post by Dr Sario » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:11 am

Exactly.
"He who fights monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster."

TF.
Poke'mon Master
Poke'mon Master
Location: We can't tell you who we are. Or where we live. It's too risky... (Australia)

Post by TF. » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:42 am

Dr Sario wrote:Exactly.
Like the intensity of any field or of any radiation.

Also, I agree. At the same time, though, I do understand that some Western people aren't keen on the majority races of available kids (African or Asian I assume) which is pretty silly. Also, I think it's pretty instinctive for couples to want to produce their own children rather than accept others (an outdated instinctive need based on a subsistence tribal lifestyle which will probably destroy the planet).

*sarcasm*
Another solution- culling various ethnic groups. (insert swastika here)
Image Image Image Image

The_Brigadier
Captain
Captain
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Post by The_Brigadier » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:42 pm

I personally don't believe in Veganism, but if someone were to do that, I wouldn't hurt or tease them. Vegetarianism is more feasible solution seeing as humanity has ALWAYS depended on animals and animal products for survival, such as/but not limited too: meat, milk, clothes, homes, tools, protection, labor that is difficult/impossible for humans, companionship, eggs, currency, etc. I don't find it natural for humanity as a whole to stop using animal products.
♫When playin' Jazz you always has a welcome mat, cuz everybody digs a swingin' kat!♫

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle

Post by Tobias_Marco » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:56 pm

capnnerefir wrote:
<*)))< wrote: And :lol2: to the Modest Proposal link. Well played, good sir.
Thanks, Phish. I've found that, when I see Snoopy and The_African in the same political or religious thread, if someone doesn't jump in real fast and start making jokes, the place might explode.

And if anyone points out that I started making jokes before Snoopy got here, let's just blame it on my psychic powers.
<...so than what happens if Snoopy, The_African, and Tobias_Marco are all talking in the same political or religious thread?>

<The idea here is that there may or may not be some over crowding here on planet Earth.>
<As of this writing they are thinking about sending a small group to Mars, however this is not going to make a noticeable impact on the Earth's population.>
<For the sake of discussion lets say that this is a problem and Earth will not be able to support the Human race if it keeps growing at its current rate much longer.>
<There are three main ideas on how to deal with this; 1. We can limit the reproduction rate per person. 2. We can kill off some of the people, or at least in some way make it so that they can't reproduce. 3. Both.>
<I am reminded of a TV show called Sliders. On this show a group of four Humans traveled to other universes. In one of these universes birth control was sold as a soft drink, and the world wide population was less than a billion people. In that episode there was a lottery, you walked up to this thing and asked for as much money as you wanted. For every dollar you asked for your name was entered into the lottery once, if you won you got a shopping spree...right before you are put to death.>
<These people chose to be painlessly put to death as a form of population control, and were given anything they wanted for free as a thank you.>
<In the movie "Demolition Man" you aren't allowed to have children without a license.>
<In that movie sex is illegal, and people reproduce only by visiting a lab.>
<In the movie "Gattaca" many people are genetically engineered, anyone who isn't is a 2ed class citizen. The best job you can get is a custodian.>
<I don't think we are ever going to outlaw sex, however there may come a time when people are genetically engineered.>
<What would the world be like if we had to be married to have children, and even then we needed a license?>
<Going back to that idea that some people be removed from the gene pool, some have suggested that we limit who can and can't have children, however the hard part is choosing who would not be aloud to have children. The first step would be to remove criminals from the gene pool, however if they are criminals then they are not as likely to care if they break just one more law.>
<One way to deal with this is to force people to 'get fixed' so that they can't have children if they meet a given set of criteria. These people would probably include felons, and in at least one story I read somewhere a 3 strikes law, if you lost custody of three children than you would be fixed as well.>
<There is a book called "Among the Hidden (Shadow Children Series #1)" by Margaret Peterson Haddix. In this book it is illegal to have more than three children. You can choose to have less, however and any 'third child' found is put to death. I have read the first book, however not any of the others.>
<Giving a real life example I know of one city made abortions very easy to get, about 15 years latter their crime rate went down, at first they thought it was due to a better police force, however there realized that poor families that could not afford to have another child got the child aborted, and so the child didn't grow up in a family that could not afford them and they never had the chance to turn to a life of crime.>
<All of these are possible ways of dealing with over population.>
Last edited by Tobias_Marco on Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
True education, true science, true religion is the search for truth.
Matthew 28:16-20, John 3:14-20

GERALD710
Gedd

Post by GERALD710 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:57 pm

I do not see the human population as a liability.
Even the books tell it so.It is not so much that humans were useful to Yeerks because they had useful bodies,but because their numbers were enough for the Yeerks to launch a galactic conquest.
What we need is to expand beyond this planet.Terraform Mars for example and make it habitable again. Use our numbers to mine resources on Asteroids(with the help of robots of course) and go beyond!!

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle

Post by Tobias_Marco » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:36 am

<The biggest problem with this is that at this point the oldest Human to ever live (not counting records in Genesis) was about 122 when she died.>
<Lets say that every Human on Earth stopped having children by the end of next year, if I want a child after that then I need to adopt...exsept with NO new children born, after 122 years, the youngest Human on the planet will be 122...50 years later there are no more Humans.>
<Yes that's right. In the future we might live to be 172 or so.>
True education, true science, true religion is the search for truth.
Matthew 28:16-20, John 3:14-20