K A Applegate's other stuff?

Discuss about books other than Animorphs (written/not written by K.A. Applegate)
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
onegirlrevolution
Civilian
Favourite Animorph: Rachel

Re: K A Applegate's other stuff?

Post by onegirlrevolution » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:16 pm

I've read the first Everworld book, I thought it was really good. I have the first Remnants book, although I haven't read it yet.

SnnowW
Gedd

Post by SnnowW » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:27 am

I've read the Everworld series. It's good, and I like mythology.

ladykreanna
Gedd

Post by ladykreanna » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:29 pm

did she finish her other series? after Animorphs, I just couldn't imagine picking up another epically long series like that, especially as I'd started Robert Jordan (which still hasn't finished!)

Kes
Gedd

Post by Kes » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:08 am

As someone going back to some of K. A. Applegate's books at an older age I found Remnants very compelling. I read them when I was 10 first, and enjoyed them well enough, but this time around I think they're great. More reading and scifi experience has made a lot of the themes and nuances more evident. I agree with everyone who's said the ending is lacking, but I do think the lack of explanations was fitting even if the actual end was not. I also agree that Applegate reuses a lot of the same character archetypes, but I think Remnants did a better job than Everworld did when it came to unique characters. That being said, I haven't read Animorphs or Everworld in over a decade, so.

moonie_knifey
Civilian

Post by moonie_knifey » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:55 pm

I loved Everworld. I usually find fantasy more compelling than science fiction, and the way Applegate used all those mythological concepts was really brilliant. Also, Everworld has that slight touch of madness that I adore; I remember talking to my friend about it, I said something like "There are trolls. And dwarves. And Aztec heart-eating gods. And Galahad. And there ancient Greeks, fighting with aliens. And then there are Amazons fighting with crocodiles sent by an Egyptian god, and a dragon comes in, and then a witch summons a guy with an automatic gun, and..."

So yeah, Everworld was really fun to read (perhaps with the exceptions of two books near the end of the series, which were ghostwritten :x ) And I loved the characters, as well. All of them have their flaws and can be infuriating sometimes, but something made me really care for them. Like the Animorphs, they had their problems and dilemmas, maybe on a different, more individual level. And since Everworld series never sprawled into a 60-book behemoth like the Animorphs, there are no filler books! Don't get me wrong, I love Animorphs, even some of the silliest fillers, but it's nice to see something more cohesive.

As for Remnants, I quite liked the first three or four books for their weirdness, but the ending was terrible. The series went downhill after book 10 or so, the writing got lazy, interesting plots were abandoned, stupid plots were introduced, etc.

As for Applegate having always the same basic set of characters in her books, I must disagree. It's true they often share some general traits, but they are always different people. For example, all three series have a "leader" character, but:

In Animorphs, Jake is a natural leader. Others look up to him, they trust him (he's often described as somebody you instinctively ask for help if there is any trouble) and accept his leadership without any doubt. It's Jake who questions his leadership abilities and angsts about making bad decisions. He doesn't really want to assume a position of a mighty general (at least at the beginning of the series), but he does for the sake of others needing him.

In Everworld, David wants to be a leader. He wants to be seen as a tough guy, a hero who saves the world and all that. BUT there are many, many things that make it difficult for him: other people in the group don't really know him, so they have no reason to trust him; for most of the time, he is under a domination spell cast by the series' villain (sort of); at first, he doesn't really present himself as a particularly resourceful person. He is accepted as a leader only after proving himself worthy of this position (i.e., after lots of angsty "I WILL do the right thing, I WILL save them all, whether they like it or not, I must be brave and tough because it's a man's thing to do"). And even then others do not trust him like the Animorphs trust Jake.

In Remnants, there is Jobs, who is more of a scientist than a fighter. People do trust him, and some of them tell him he should assume leadership before some mean person proclaims himself a king, but he never does. He is not very sociable, and again: more of a scientist than a fighter.

So, in a nutshell, I don't think that using the same characters over and over is one of Applegate's sins. I agree there are similiarities, but it makes it more interesting for me to compare them and discover the differences among them.

(What I find very irritating, though, is the loose ends she never ties up. She does it in EVERY series. Grr.)

TL;DR : Everworld is awesome. Go read it. Remnants, not so much.
I'm rubbish at explaining stuff. As a result, frustration eats my head.

tobias_cool
Aristh
Aristh
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Post by tobias_cool » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:54 pm

The_Brigadier wrote:I didn't say that. It's just that I feel that she was going with a formula that works: Unlucky kids have to save the human race, and amongst our saviors are the traitor (David, Yago) the comic (Marco, Mo-Steel) the deep soul (Tobias, Billy), etc.

Those motifs are quite common, and since I read "Animorphs", I was more keen to pick on the similarities.

"Formula that works", you bet! Tell you what, that's what really got me when I started reading Everworld. I have the familiar feeling when I'm reading Animorphs. And just so you know, a series from her husband, Michael Grant, called "Gone Series Novel", has the same formula! And by comparing these books, we sure could learn a thing or too in creative writing:

- It's great to have the protagonist of the series a reluctant leader.
- You always need to have a funny character for comic relief (Animorph's Marco, Everworld's Christopher, Gone's Quinn).
- And when the law that governs the universe has been altered, you need to have a genius screaming and yelling "This is wrong!" (Gone's Astrid, Everworld's Jalil)
- And I guess you also have to have some so-so character for balance. (Animorph's Cassie, Everworld's April).
Tomorrow is an empty canvass, white and spacious, full of promise, what will you paint on it?

http://thereformedprocrastinator.blogspot.com

Zebalithe
Civilian

Post by Zebalithe » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:56 pm

I read the first two of the Everworld books, but couldn't really get into them. I've read the first three Remnants books, and am halfway through reading the 4th one online as I've not been able to find any hard copies.

BabelFish42
Admiral
Admiral
Favourite Animorph: Cassie

Post by BabelFish42 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:13 am

moonie_knifey wrote:I loved Everworld. I usually find fantasy more compelling than science fiction, and the way Applegate used all those mythological concepts was really brilliant. Also, Everworld has that slight touch of madness that I adore; I remember talking to my friend about it, I said something like "There are trolls. And dwarves. And Aztec heart-eating gods. And Galahad. And there ancient Greeks, fighting with aliens. And then there are Amazons fighting with crocodiles sent by an Egyptian god, and a dragon comes in, and then a witch summons a guy with an automatic gun, and..."

So yeah, Everworld was really fun to read (perhaps with the exceptions of two books near the end of the series, which were ghostwritten :x ) And I loved the characters, as well. All of them have their flaws and can be infuriating sometimes, but something made me really care for them. Like the Animorphs, they had their problems and dilemmas, maybe on a different, more individual level. And since Everworld series never sprawled into a 60-book behemoth like the Animorphs, there are no filler books! Don't get me wrong, I love Animorphs, even some of the silliest fillers, but it's nice to see something more cohesive.

As for Remnants, I quite liked the first three or four books for their weirdness, but the ending was terrible. The series went downhill after book 10 or so, the writing got lazy, interesting plots were abandoned, stupid plots were introduced, etc.

As for Applegate having always the same basic set of characters in her books, I must disagree. It's true they often share some general traits, but they are always different people. For example, all three series have a "leader" character, but:

In Animorphs, Jake is a natural leader. Others look up to him, they trust him (he's often described as somebody you instinctively ask for help if there is any trouble) and accept his leadership without any doubt. It's Jake who questions his leadership abilities and angsts about making bad decisions. He doesn't really want to assume a position of a mighty general (at least at the beginning of the series), but he does for the sake of others needing him.

In Everworld, David wants to be a leader. He wants to be seen as a tough guy, a hero who saves the world and all that. BUT there are many, many things that make it difficult for him: other people in the group don't really know him, so they have no reason to trust him; for most of the time, he is under a domination spell cast by the series' villain (sort of); at first, he doesn't really present himself as a particularly resourceful person. He is accepted as a leader only after proving himself worthy of this position (i.e., after lots of angsty "I WILL do the right thing, I WILL save them all, whether they like it or not, I must be brave and tough because it's a man's thing to do"). And even then others do not trust him like the Animorphs trust Jake.

In Remnants, there is Jobs, who is more of a scientist than a fighter. People do trust him, and some of them tell him he should assume leadership before some mean person proclaims himself a king, but he never does. He is not very sociable, and again: more of a scientist than a fighter.

So, in a nutshell, I don't think that using the same characters over and over is one of Applegate's sins. I agree there are similiarities, but it makes it more interesting for me to compare them and discover the differences among them.

(What I find very irritating, though, is the loose ends she never ties up. She does it in EVERY series. Grr.)

TL;DR : Everworld is awesome. Go read it. Remnants, not so much.
Wow. AWESOME analysis, and very interesting for someone like me who only read random bits and pieces (whatever I could find in the school library) of Everworld and Remants. Thanks!
Anifan on Reddit: "Do you realize you're one of the reasons why I write fiction in my free time?"
KA: "So sorry to get you into writing. What a horrible thing to inflict on you. Should have just sold you crack."

steamphunk
Civilian

Post by steamphunk » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:10 pm

I loved Everworld. It's what initially introduced me to K. A. Applegate. Well, besides the, er... well, TV show. After that, I collected as many books as I could. Unfortunately, Schoolastic was starting to discontinue printing them so I never managed to get a full collection. Several libraries near me had whatever I didn't, thankfully.

As a whole, Everworld is interesting. It's more fantasy than anything else. It can be hard to get into but once you're in, let's just say one might stay there forever. It's a highly compelling read about four mismatched teens brought into Everworld, a magical place where the gods of old and their loyal followers worship them.

It deals with a lot of things Animorphs and Remnant couldn't get into, like drinking and other... interesting things that really shouldn't be mentioned in polite company. That is what really drew me back in when I was in high school.

The use of similar characters is one of my favorite things Applegate has done. I like seeing similar characters react to different situations. It helps some readers connect to a certain character.

Remnants I only read once and I'm not quite sure why. I remember that I enjoyed it but it wasn't the best thing that I had ever read. I don't remember much about it either, it's been far too long.

Reading Animorphs, Everworld, and Remnants as an adult is a completely different experience. You notice so many more things and you appreciate all the little details. All of them are worth checking out if you have the time.
What use is fighting when you have nothing to fight for?

kinzygirl1213
Gedd

Post by kinzygirl1213 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:06 pm

I spent idk how long trying to remember the name of the Everworld series. I actually read it when I was younger but never finished it, unfortunately. Which is why I'm re-reading the series now.