K A Applegate's other stuff?

Discuss about books other than Animorphs (written/not written by K.A. Applegate)
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
TF.
Poke'mon Master
Poke'mon Master
Location: We can't tell you who we are. Or where we live. It's too risky... (Australia)

Re: K A Applegate's other stuff?

Post by TF. » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:34 pm

It said someting 'bout KA on it. Intro by KA. KA's 'about the author'. It seemed right yet wrong to me!
'Right yet wrong'?

Do not understand.
Image Image Image Image

Sassy_Cat
Admiral
Admiral
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Post by Sassy_Cat » Fri May 13, 2011 9:39 pm

You don't have to.
"Don't think. Thinking is the enemy of creativity. It's self-conscious, and anything self-conscious is lousy. You can't try to do things. You simply must do things."
- Ray Bradbury

My amazing blog- http://yasreadyas.blogspot.com/

The_Brigadier
Captain
Captain
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Post by The_Brigadier » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:50 pm

I read some of the books of "Remnants", never got to the end, and I honestly don't care.

I felt that Mrs. Applegate was just copying-and-pasting character personalites (Mo-Steel=Marco) and some basic plot-points (the fate of humanity rests on a bunch of very unlucky kids) into the story, because after she finished Animorphs, what was there to do?

The battles and climaxes of "Remnants" were nowhere near as epic as that of "Animorphs" (good luck toping the David Trilogy and The Beginning). Even when I re-read Animorph books, my heart is thumping and I'm ripping through pages to reach the resolution of the adventure. My heart is still touched by the agony and atrocities that the characters of "Animorphs" go through (the end of the Return really made me cry). I never got those feelings with "Remnants".

I never heard of "Everworld" so maybe I'll give that a shot, but I don't have high expectations.
Last edited by The_Brigadier on Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
♫When playin' Jazz you always has a welcome mat, cuz everybody digs a swingin' kat!♫

Sassy_Cat
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Sassy_Cat » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:55 pm

So, in other words, K.A has no imagination for plot ideas and character ideas?
"Don't think. Thinking is the enemy of creativity. It's self-conscious, and anything self-conscious is lousy. You can't try to do things. You simply must do things."
- Ray Bradbury

My amazing blog- http://yasreadyas.blogspot.com/

The_Brigadier
Captain
Captain

Post by The_Brigadier » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:16 pm

I didn't say that. It's just that I feel that she was going with a formula that works: Unlucky kids have to save the human race, and amongst our saviors are the traitor (David, Yago) the comic (Marco, Mo-Steel) the deep soul (Tobias, Billy), etc.

Those motifs are quite common, and since I read "Animorphs", I was more keen to pick on the similarities.
♫When playin' Jazz you always has a welcome mat, cuz everybody digs a swingin' kat!♫

sds2
Gedd
Favourite Animorph: Rachel

Post by sds2 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:29 am

Couldn't get into Remnants. I loved Everworld though. Ver awesome concept. She des tend tp reuse character personalities though. David and Jake more or less felt like the same person to me.

The_Brigadier
Captain
Captain

Post by The_Brigadier » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:49 pm

David and Jake more or less felt like the same person to me.
Er, care to explain?

capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator

Post by capnnerefir » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:53 pm

AlbinoBlackSheep wrote:
David and Jake more or less felt like the same person to me.
Er, care to explain?
If she's talking about Everworld, then I can kind of agree. The major difference being that David (no connection to Animorphs David) acted the way he did due to childhood trauma and a military upbringing while Jake acted similarly due to his own internal moral code and sense of responsibility.

Perhaps, though, it isn't recycling characters so much as the authors' own views on things.

Perhaps, for example, KAA has a well-defined opinion of what qualities an effective leader needs to possess. Consequentially, her leader-type characters all share those same qualities. Each character is built in its own way, but the end result is still the same.

It's kind of like taking a different route to your favorite restaurant?

The_Brigadier
Captain
Captain

Post by The_Brigadier » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:13 am

Oh, okay. I thought she was talking about Animorphs David.

I read up the summary for Everworld, and boy, does that series sound interesting! :D

It is, however, a bit dissapointing that she created the same result for her characters. But hey, what am I going to do? KAA is a very successful and published author and I'm just a fan.

Creative writing is more difficult to create than to critique.

Janewwwu
Civilian
Favourite Animorph: Rachel

Post by Janewwwu » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:21 am

On a slightly off-topic note, has anyone heard of gobzrk? It's an interactive story on the internet promoting Michael grant's new book, BZRK, which is coming out in 2012.