Realm of the Elderlings

Discuss about books other than Animorphs (written/not written by K.A. Applegate)
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
Ellimist
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Animorph: Jake

Realm of the Elderlings

Post by Ellimist » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:13 pm

I'd say one of the greatest discoveries for me last year was Robin Hobb (Margaret Astrid Lindholm Ogden) and the books in her Elderlings series. Her books were a fresh break from the boilerplate fantasy we are used to. She relies heavily on character-development and interactions and her books are one of the most satisfying to read. The way she blends characters from different series and the way the characters and the relationships develop, it's really commendable. I'm not really the most articulate, so I'll quote TheGreenReaper7 from /r/Fantasy.
The GreenReaper7 wrote:This series (up to the Tawny Man Trilogy) was some of the most intellectually developed and sophisticated fantasy since Ursula Le Guin's Earthsea Quartet. Hobb writes with a literary flourish that more modest authors (in both ambition and imagination) cannot hope to match. Her work is realised without reliance on historical emulation and feels all the more real for it. This is a series which revels in its medium, employing the kind of metaphysical chicanery which found such popularity in Rothfuss' The Kingkiller Chronicle. I came across this book after reading through the generic chaff that litters the bookshelves of fantasy and it was not mere wheat - it's gold.

This is a series about what it means to be human. This means that it is not a happy or easy work to read, in places, but I never thought it to be laborious. While it addresses huge philosophical concepts each is delivered in such an indirect fashion that you will be hardly aware of them until you must confront them. Hobb wears Fitz like a skin, and her employment of the third-person in the Liveship Traders Trilogy is competent and functional if not comparable to her first-person.

I do not recommend any fantasy series more highly than Hobb's Assassins Trilogy. In terms of scope, command of language, and execution it is undoubtedly one of the great works of modern fantasy.
This series was a whirlwind of emotions for me. I cried when Fitz had to leave Molly behind, laughed when Fitz and the Foot reunited, cried again when Molly, then Nighteyes, and even Burrich died. I cried, laughed, jumped in joy, held my friends close and cherished them. It really is a beautiful, beautiful series, and I'd really urge you to read it. Heck, I'd even send you the first book in the series, The Assassin's Apprentice, if you want. And I mean it.

The series comprises of 4 trilogies and 1 quadrology along with supplementary books (The Willful Princess and the Piebald Prince) - 16 books plus supplementary. I read all the books (except the quadrology) in the course of a month, and that should tell you how much I love it.

1. Farseer Trilogy
  • Assassin's Apprentice
  • Royal Assassin
  • Assassin's Quest
ImageImageImage

2. Liveship Traders
  • Ship of Magic
  • The Mad Ship
  • Ship of Destiny
3. Tawny Man
  • Fool's Errand
  • Golden Fool
  • Fool's Fate
4. Rain Wild Chronicles
  • The Dragon Keeper
  • Dragon Haven
  • City of Dragons
  • Blood of Dragons
5. The Fitz and the Fool
  • Fool's Assassin
  • Fool's Quest
  • Assassin's Fate (Releasing this year)
If you need any more reason to get them, the books have gorgeous covers. Plus, for a limited time I'll send a copy of the first book in the series to any interested readers who PM me and do not have the resources to obtain the book for themselves.