WHY I HATE HARRY POTTER

Discuss about books other than Animorphs (written/not written by K.A. Applegate)
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
Dr Sario
GIMPer
GIMPer
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Re: WHY I HATE HARRY POTTER

Post by Dr Sario » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:12 am

capnnerefir wrote:If you're referring to WoT, you probably do what I do: check the internet every day for updates.
Actually I'm referring to Ringworld. (Ringworld's Children.) (AMAZON, HURRY UP! I ORDERED THE f***' PAGKAGE IN EASTER!!) Also to HHGTTG. Douglas Adams died when the sixth book was being written. :( :cry: :cry:
"He who fights monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster."

fdragon010
Warrior
Warrior
Location: Somewhere north of the South Pole and south of the North Pole

Post by fdragon010 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:08 pm

I am actually most angry about the Wheel of Time, mostly because the guy dragged the series so much that I actually dropped out around book twelve from sheer frustration, and now he's dead. Annoying. I'll never know what happens now...not that I knew what was going on anyway. At some point it just got so freaking convoluted. Shame to, I really did like the series for the most part.
Image Dracula: Because real vampires do not sparkle...unless you want me to laugh at them.

Dr Sario
GIMPer
GIMPer

Post by Dr Sario » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:24 pm

To get back on topic...
"He who fights monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster."

capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator

Post by capnnerefir » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:15 pm

fdragon010 wrote:I am actually most angry about the Wheel of Time, mostly because the guy dragged the series so much that I actually dropped out around book twelve from sheer frustration, and now he's dead. Annoying. I'll never know what happens now...not that I knew what was going on anyway. At some point it just got so freaking convoluted. Shame to, I really did like the series for the most part.
While I won't speak on the subject of it being convoluted (jumping all around the world and switching between the POVs of SO many characters in so many diverse environments is bound to confuse most readers, especially during the middle of the series when most of the action was the political maneuvering, particularly in the White Tower and Andor), I can say that you will, in fact, get to know what happens. Brandon Sanderson took over the writing and recently put out book 12 (which I just recently finished). He's writing the final two books and unless the cruel hand of fate strikes him dead, we'll get to know how it ends.

Spencer
Rampant AI
Rampant AI
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Post by Spencer » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:38 am

I heard an interesting thing on the radio of the car I just drove up. Some intellectual type (didn't catch her name) claimed that Harry potter was a great book because it was encouraging kids to read again. Now, I'm just a simple valet, what do I know, but it seems that crediting one book series with that kind of influence is a little farfetched. If anything, I would credit the entire fantasy genre. Not just one series. One that Isn't even that good. The radio broadcast annoyed me a bit. Just saying.

The thing that annoyed me the most is that the lady said that because lots of people read the book that that made it good. A book should be judged on it's writing, not by how manyread it.

capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator

Post by capnnerefir » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:30 pm

spencer1519 wrote:A book should be judged on it's writing, not by how many read it.
Absolutely agree with you there, Spencer. Sometimes, popular opinion is a good indication. But when it comes down to using popularity as a measure of quality, I just can't help but remember that Hitler was popular, too.

Just because millions of people like something doesn't mean it's good.

I also agree that it's absurd to credit one series or author with that much influence.

Luna May
GPC Tamer
GPC Tamer
Favourite Animorph: Cassie

Post by Luna May » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:57 am

capnnerefir wrote:Sometimes, popular opinion is a good indication. But when it comes down to using popularity as a measure of quality, I just can't help but remember that Hitler was popular, too.
:clap2:

Avv © Culpeo-Fox

*hi fives Blu*

Isn't quite sure how I feel about anything at the moment.

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle

Post by Tobias_Marco » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:45 pm

Speaking of Hitler, I wonder what would happen if someone wrote "The idot's guide to suicide" and what if THAT book became an even bigger hit then Harry Potter, Twilight, Lord of The Rings, and Star Wars combined.

Whould that same person say that THIS "was a great book because it was encouraging kids to read again." or would they ask that all copies of the book be distroyed?
True education, true science, true religion is the search for truth.
Matthew 28:16-20, John 3:14-20

capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator

Post by capnnerefir » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:35 pm

I think that would depend on how good their publicist is.

Dr Sario
GIMPer
GIMPer

Post by Dr Sario » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:29 am

Actually, the Idiot's Guide to Suicide might be a good book - get rid of all those idiots out there!