A song of ice and fire

Discuss about books other than Animorphs (written/not written by K.A. Applegate)
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
akaine
Gedd

A song of ice and fire

Post by akaine » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:38 pm

A song of ice and fire are a collection of books written by George RR Martin. They are fantasy books and are very good, I wanted to know if anyone in here likes them, because Iam a fan.

This is the link to the official website of the author: http://www.georgerrmartin.com/

freded21
War-Prince
War-Prince
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Re: A song of ice and fire

Post by freded21 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:34 pm

I've only read the first book, but I loved it. I think it's great, especially the characters. I hate most of the "bad" guys more than I normally do for other books, and I think that's a sign of how good these books are.
I <3 the Animorphs

I just had a AFF moment. My friends and I were talking about people who use others and I say:
"yeah it's like when someone only makes 5 posts then leaves and never comes back."
No one knew what I was talking about...

capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Post by capnnerefir » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:46 am

I find myself with an inexplicable resentment for that series. I'm really not sure why.

I think it's probably that part of me that wants to hate anything other people love. And my basic assumption that popular stuff is highly overrated.

freded21
War-Prince
War-Prince

Post by freded21 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:34 pm

Have you read them capn?
I <3 the Animorphs

I just had a AFF moment. My friends and I were talking about people who use others and I say:
"yeah it's like when someone only makes 5 posts then leaves and never comes back."

capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator

Post by capnnerefir » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:03 pm

I haven't. I've found myself with an irrational aversion to them. Until I get over that, I can't view the series objectively.

freded21
War-Prince
War-Prince

Post by freded21 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:36 pm

Well, I suggest you get over it as soon as possible. ;p
I <3 the Animorphs

jonwossy88
Gedd

Post by jonwossy88 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:41 pm

Its great fantasy writing, definitely worth a read if you like the genre.

Tarren
Gedd
Favourite Animorph: Cassie

Post by Tarren » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:09 pm

I read the first book a long time ago. I'm actually in the middle of rereading now after watching the first season of the show. I liked it a lot, and the show is awesome, but at the rate the books come out I wasn't in any particular rush to read the rest. I feel like I should read the second book before watching the second season, so I'll be getting to that one soon.

capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator

Post by capnnerefir » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:00 pm

Well, I finally got around to reading Game of Thrones. I just walked out of a particularly terrible trilogy (the Magister Trilogy. Don't read it, it's absolute trash) so I was feeling pretty neutral on the subject for a change (in the past, I've always been standoffish towards Ice and Fire).

I finished the book yesterday and I find myself surprisingly apathetic. I've really got no feelings on the book whatsoever. It had some things I liked and some stuff I didn't like. It fell into some of the usual genre holes and avoided some others. But nothing about it really seems worth the effort to comment on. I just...didn't care.

I think the biggest problem is the universe and the characters. Maybe it's because I'm a High Fantasy guy and it's a Low Fantasy world. I like my worlds full of magic and wonder, unique and interesting stuff that you just can't find in the real world. I like to see imagination and creativity. So I tend to stick to High Fantasy. Westeros was just..really boring to me. I've seen the Seven Kingdoms and Dothrak more times than I can count. I'm bored to tears.

And as far as the characters, there really weren't any that I cared about. At all. Most of them were completely lacking in personality and the ones who did have personalities all had personalities that I've seen in dozens of other books. There were some that I liked more than others and some that I disliked more, but there weren't any that I had any passion for. I didn't care one way or the other what happened to the Starks or Lannisters.

There are plenty of unresolved plot threads, which is fine given the length of the series. But some of the mysterious elements seem so painfully obvious that it makes me cringe, particularly the matter of Jon Snow's parentage. It seems pretty obvious that his parents are Eddard's sister and Rhaegar Targaryen. Eddard won't talk about it because of what happened to Rhaegar's other children. Dragging that mystery along is just insulting.

And if I'm wrong about it, I'll be mildly irritated. But, again, this isn't something I'm passionate enough to argue about or be too broken up about.

Ultimately...I just don't care. It's just another dark, low fantasy story in which I have no investment.

margam
Gedd

Post by margam » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:42 am

I used to be a fan. I started reading them in high school, when the Legends anthology came out. I bought that anthology for a Robert Jordan story, but I really enjoyed The Hedge Knight, so I started on ASOIAF. I devoured the first three. Then, i went to college, got out of college, started my career, worked at that for about a year. Then the fourth book came out. I read that in a day. Five years later, I got tired of waiting and when I Dance With Dragons came out, I just didn't care. If he finishes the series, I may go back and read it, but until then, I'll be satisfied with other things.