Gone by Michael Grant

Discuss about books other than Animorphs (written/not written by K.A. Applegate)
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
tobias_cool
Aristh
Aristh
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Gone by Michael Grant

Post by tobias_cool » Mon May 21, 2012 6:39 pm

Hi guys. Anyone have read this series "Gone" written by our dear KA Applegate's husband Michael Grant? I'm planning on reading it but thought I'd look for opinions first? :hi: :hi:
Tomorrow is an empty canvass, white and spacious, full of promise, what will you paint on it?

http://thereformedprocrastinator.blogspot.com

kebrennan
Aristh
Aristh

Re: Gone by Michael Grant

Post by kebrennan » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:21 pm

I've read the first two books in the series, and I highly recommend them. It's kind of like "Lord of the Flies" but with superpowers and monsters and nuclear waste, and is therefore a lot more fun. The main character reminds me a little of Jake--a more interesting Jake with insecurities and failings and deep, dark secrets. And superpowers. There's a lot of action and the plot moves right along. I'm trying to get my hands on the next two books right now.

BabelFish42
Admiral
Admiral
Favourite Animorph: Cassie

Post by BabelFish42 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:28 pm

Yes! Great books! If you like Animorphs, you'll almost certainly like Gone as well.
Anifan on Reddit: "Do you realize you're one of the reasons why I write fiction in my free time?"
KA: "So sorry to get you into writing. What a horrible thing to inflict on you. Should have just sold you crack."

tobias_cool
Aristh
Aristh

Post by tobias_cool » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:46 am

It's been some time since I opened this thread. I'm already on the fifth book now (Well, I'm looking for it)! Such an amazing series.
Like kebrennan said, Sam's personality is almost identical to Jake's (to Everworld's David as well). Reluctant leader. Fearless leader.
Then Quinn reminded me of Marco (Everworld's Christopher). Then we can say Everworld's Jalil is like Gone's Astrid in terms of intelligence.

It's amazing. Every animorph fan should give it a try.
Tomorrow is an empty canvass, white and spacious, full of promise, what will you paint on it?

http://thereformedprocrastinator.blogspot.com

BabelFish42
Admiral
Admiral
Favourite Animorph: Cassie

Post by BabelFish42 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:02 pm

Hmm... interesting analysis of the characters. I half agree. There are some similarities between all the ones you mentioned, but they are differences too. David's a much more flawed leader than Sam and Jake (though Jake becomes a bit rougher/darker towards the end, and Sam seems to be going a little bit in that direction too). And Sam... he seems to wear a less confident face than Jake, somehow. Jake might be overwhelmed and terrified on the inside, but he never let it show; Sam seems to let it show a bit more. Astrid is also kind of like April in the way that she starts off very idealistic, but drastically changes over the course of the series; they've also both got a dangerous and incredibly powerful sibling (though so does Sam, and in some ways, Jake). Marco is braver than Quinn, and also more intelligent and loyal.

Anyway, very fun to analyze them, and compare/contrast the different series :) I heard Applegrant's releasing a new book soon called something like Eve and Adam. I definitely want to look into that too.
Anifan on Reddit: "Do you realize you're one of the reasons why I write fiction in my free time?"
KA: "So sorry to get you into writing. What a horrible thing to inflict on you. Should have just sold you crack."

Walrus
Gedd

Post by Walrus » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:50 pm

I read them. I liked them a lot. Very interesting characters and Brianna really reminds me of Rachel