The Creative Writer's Guild

Discuss about books other than Animorphs (written/not written by K.A. Applegate)
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
BabelFish42
Admiral
Admiral
Favourite Animorph: Cassie

Re: The Creative Writer's Guild

Post by BabelFish42 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:57 am

capnnerefir wrote:I've been working on a historical-fiction book lately.

It's a biographical, telling the story of Sima Shi, a politician and general in the Wei dynasty. Since the major events of his life are easy to research (and, thus, not surprising), I decided to focus the story on the personal conflicts in his life - in particular, his falling out with his brother-in-law and a group of scholars with whom he was once friends. It's a more sympathetic view of the man that many historians usually take, but I also think it is a more accurate view.
Cool. Are you feeling like you need to do a lot of research to write it convincingly? Or do you already feel pretty comfortable writing something set in that time period and culture?

Also, how are things going with Colonists and Seven Towers? Any luck finding an agent/publisher?
Anifan on Reddit: "Do you realize you're one of the reasons why I write fiction in my free time?"
KA: "So sorry to get you into writing. What a horrible thing to inflict on you. Should have just sold you crack."

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Post by Tobias_Marco » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:42 am

<Just how does one get a good agent/publisher?>
True education, true science, true religion is the search for truth.
Matthew 28:16-20, John 3:14-20

capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator

Post by capnnerefir » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:55 pm

BabelFish42 wrote:Cool. Are you feeling like you need to do a lot of research to write it convincingly? Or do you already feel pretty comfortable writing something set in that time period and culture?
I definitely think a lot of research is required, but this is a part of history I've been studying extensively for many years. It's something I know a lot about, so I'm comfortable writing in this time period. There are some details that I don't know (little things like the particulars of clothing), but I've got some friends who are more knowledgeable in this area and can clear those details up for me.
BabelFish42 wrote:Also, how are things going with Colonists and Seven Towers? Any luck finding an agent/publisher?
They're on the shelf for now. I haven't been able to find an agent for them. I think a large part of this is due to the fact that both of those projects are too ambitious for a first-time author. Both of them are supposed to be the first of six novels, and no publisher or agent wants to commit to publishing six books from an author nobody has ever heard of. And because no publisher would sigh up for that, no agent wants to represent such a project.
Tobias_Marco wrote:<Just how does one get a good agent/publisher?>
Mostly by sending lots and lots of emails. There are numerous directories online with the email addresses of various literary agents. Every agent will have some submission guidelines, which are what they want from authors who are looking for representation. Usually they want the first 1,000 words or so of a work as well as a summary of it and a letter of introduction from you. You track down a bunch of authors, send them what they want, and wait (usually 3-4 weeks) for them to tell you if they want to represent you or not. You'll get rejected almost every single time, but that's just how it goes. Once you find an agent who thinks they can sell your story, they'll contact their friends at publishing companies (usually editors or executives). You'll be assigned to an editor who will help you refine your story (and your agent will probably help, too). Then they'll wrap it up, sell it, and in the mean time you get to work on your next one.

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle

Post by Tobias_Marco » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:33 pm

<That would be amazing to see a story I wrote on the book shelves.>
True education, true science, true religion is the search for truth.
Matthew 28:16-20, John 3:14-20