The Creative Writer's Guild

Discuss about books other than Animorphs (written/not written by K.A. Applegate)
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
The_Brigadier
Captain
Captain
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Re: The Creative Writer's Guild

Post by The_Brigadier » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:51 pm

Well, it's not like there's a sign-up sheet or anything, and the only requirement to be in the Creative Writer's Guild is to be a creative writer, so yeah! You are welcome to join the guild! ^_^

Have a cupcake.

♫When playin' Jazz you always has a welcome mat, cuz everybody digs a swingin' kat!♫

BSerAkafanofblake
Admiral
Admiral
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Post by BSerAkafanofblake » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:13 pm

Hopefully my acount won't be deleated if I say what I would write if I was able to.

The_Brigadier
Captain
Captain
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Post by The_Brigadier » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:18 pm

Do you ever feel anything physical when you're writing or thinking about writing?

Just the other day, I decided it would be in my best interests to not write a story and immediately, I felt my stomach, throat, and heart clench tightly. The discomfort didn't go away until an hour or so later.

This other time, I was trying to to get into a characters mind, but I felt a door slam in my face, a chill run through my body, and an image of him glaring at me.

I've cried so many times from the emotions and feelings of my characters that it is ridiculous.

Sometimes when I'm writing, I feel like I'm not going fast enough and the only way to get out what I need to get out is to vomit.
♫When playin' Jazz you always has a welcome mat, cuz everybody digs a swingin' kat!♫

capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator

Post by capnnerefir » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:09 pm

The_Brigadier wrote:Do you ever feel anything physical when you're writing or thinking about writing?
I'm feeling too mature to make a joke about sexual arousal right now, but I'm thinking it!

The following is dirty:
You'd be amazed how many times I've been writing Neomorphs and have been interrupted for sex.

On a serious note, I usually only feel emotions during emotional scenes.

Sassy_Cat
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Sassy_Cat » Thu May 24, 2012 7:18 pm

The_Brigadier wrote:Do you ever feel anything physical when you're writing or thinking about writing?
Not really, but occasionally when I'm explaining something about my writing to somebody, I start to actually understand how my characters are supposed to feel. Leads to a lot of rewriting. That's mental, though.
I've noticed that my heart beats faster when I'm thinking about writing and slows when I'm actually writing.
"Don't think. Thinking is the enemy of creativity. It's self-conscious, and anything self-conscious is lousy. You can't try to do things. You simply must do things."
- Ray Bradbury

My amazing blog- http://yasreadyas.blogspot.com/

capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator

Post by capnnerefir » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:49 pm

Hey y'all. Figured I'd let everyone know how my writing career is going.

Right now, I'm making some final revisions to a Sci-Fi story called Colonists of Laragor. I plan to search for an agent soon and try to get that published.

I'm also finishing up the first draft of a Fantasy novella. I intend for it to be the first in a long series of short novels. That, I plan to publish digitally.

You can read an excerpt from Colonists here and one from the fantasy story here.

BabelFish42
Admiral
Admiral
Favourite Animorph: Cassie

Post by BabelFish42 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:07 pm

I really like the plot for Colonists. Very intriguing. I was hooked just after reading the description. And the excerpt is well-written, as always. Pacing is nice - enough detail for me to picture what's going on, but not so much I get bogged down in it. Characters seem pretty believable too; I'd like to follow them around some more and get to know them better. All in all, I love it. I definitely want to buy a copy when it gets published. :) I'm excited to hear it's almost finalized. Congrats!

The description of Six Towers didn't grab my attention as much, to be honest. After reading it, my reaction was, meh, sounds like another fairly generic fantasy novel. If I didn't already know what an excellent storyteller you are, I wouldn't be interested in buying it. But the excerpt definitely caught my attention. Awesome world-building, very interesting characters. I don't think the description really does it justice.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Good luck with the agent search. Make sure and let us know when Colonists gets published so we can all run out and buy copies, okay?
Anifan on Reddit: "Do you realize you're one of the reasons why I write fiction in my free time?"
KA: "So sorry to get you into writing. What a horrible thing to inflict on you. Should have just sold you crack."

capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator

Post by capnnerefir » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:03 am

BabelFish42 wrote:I really like the plot for Colonists. Very intriguing. I was hooked just after reading the description. And the excerpt is well-written, as always. Pacing is nice - enough detail for me to picture what's going on, but not so much I get bogged down in it. Characters seem pretty believable too; I'd like to follow them around some more and get to know them better. All in all, I love it. I definitely want to buy a copy when it gets published. :) I'm excited to hear it's almost finalized. Congrats!
Thanks! I think all of my fellow Anifans will enjoy it - given my obsession with Animorphs, it's pretty obvious where my biggest Sci-Fi influence comes from.
BabelFish42 wrote:The description of Six Towers didn't grab my attention as much, to be honest. After reading it, my reaction was, meh, sounds like another fairly generic fantasy novel. If I didn't already know what an excellent storyteller you are, I wouldn't be interested in buying it. But the excerpt definitely caught my attention. Awesome world-building, very interesting characters. I don't think the description really does it justice.
In that case, I'll work on that description a bit. That is a very helpful thing to know. Thank you.

BabelFish42
Admiral
Admiral
Favourite Animorph: Cassie

Post by BabelFish42 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:42 pm

capnnerefir wrote:Thanks! I think all of my fellow Anifans will enjoy it - given my obsession with Animorphs, it's pretty obvious where my biggest Sci-Fi influence comes from.
Very true. :) It does feel like a story with some KAA influence. And I mean that as a huge compliment.
capnnerefir wrote:In that case, I'll work on that description a bit. That is a very helpful thing to know. Thank you.
My advice would be, put more emphasis on what makes your story unique. “While trouble grows” is vague and not very original. And “an ancient prophecy”? “The destruction of the world”? My reaction, if I wasn’t already familiar with your work, would be, yawn, been there, read that. That’s typical fantasy fodder. But dangerous, blood-drinking wizard-elf-vampires? Now there’s something I’d pay to read about.

Good luck! I know a couple aspiring authors trying to get published. It's not easy. You've clearly got the talent though, so I hope it works out for you, sooner rather than later.
Anifan on Reddit: "Do you realize you're one of the reasons why I write fiction in my free time?"
KA: "So sorry to get you into writing. What a horrible thing to inflict on you. Should have just sold you crack."

capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator

Post by capnnerefir » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:50 am

BabelFish42 wrote:My advice would be, put more emphasis on what makes your story unique. “While trouble grows” is vague and not very original. And “an ancient prophecy”? “The destruction of the world”? My reaction, if I wasn’t already familiar with your work, would be, yawn, been there, read that. That’s typical fantasy fodder. But dangerous, blood-drinking wizard-elf-vampires? Now there’s something I’d pay to read about.
That's very helpful. After thinking about this for little bit, I've decided to alter the summary to emphasize the characters. Thanks again!