The Creative Writer's Guild

Discuss about books other than Animorphs (written/not written by K.A. Applegate)
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
Blueberry Chicken
Admiral
Admiral
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Re: The Creative Writer's Guild

Post by Blueberry Chicken » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:06 pm

It's the first day of NaNoWriMo everybody! Is anyone else (besides me) competing?
"Sass, back before you, me, Blu, Vulf and BB used to roll together.We were tighter than emo jeans."
-Dest

The_Brigadier
Captain
Captain

Post by The_Brigadier » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:25 am

I'm not. I'm too much of a square to come up with stuff on the spot. I need time and preparation to write. And by time I mean months unto years. I say that with no shame.
♫When playin' Jazz you always has a welcome mat, cuz everybody digs a swingin' kat!♫

The_Brigadier
Captain
Captain

Post by The_Brigadier » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:52 am

How do you write women without being too sexist or making her too much of a feminazi bull-dyke?
♫When playin' Jazz you always has a welcome mat, cuz everybody digs a swingin' kat!♫

Blueberry Chicken
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Blueberry Chicken » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:16 am

Well, I can't say I've perfected the art, but I've got a basic idea. In http://figment.com/books/24576-Modifications, Aster isn't submissive, but she doesn't go around saying that she's superior because she is a wimmenz. None of the other characters (so far, Aster's the only female) seem to mind it, either.
"Sass, back before you, me, Blu, Vulf and BB used to roll together.We were tighter than emo jeans."
-Dest

The_Brigadier
Captain
Captain

Post by The_Brigadier » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:54 am

I don't know. It's so hard to find the balance between someone's feminine side and their masculine side.

With female characters, authors usually try to get the right mixture, but often the character winds as a too much of a ball-busting b*tch (Nynaeve from the Eye of the World), or too submissive, dependent, and pathetic (any chick from V.C. Andrew's work). It's a bit sad that male characters are hardly ever experimented on. Men are usually an uber-masculine man, average, or a conyving faggot (if you'll notice, the feminine guy tends to be on the darkside and has to be crushed by Mr. Manly Man or Sir Average).

How do the rest of you write your ladies?

capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Post by capnnerefir » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:34 pm

The_Brigadier wrote: the character winds as a too much of a ball-busting b*tch (Nynaeve from the Eye of the World)
But we love Nynaeve for that! Besides, those guys all require ball busting ever now and then. Otherwise they'd end up as insufferable assholes (*glares at Matrim*) or do something stupid like rid up to Shayol Ghul and try to punch the Dark One in the face (*glared at Rand, Lan, and a good 30% of the characters*).
The_Brigadier wrote:How do the rest of you write your ladies?
I really don't write them any differently than I write men. When you get right down to it, the differences between men and women really aren't very important. I've found it helps if I don't sit down and say "I need to write this woman" so much as, "I need to write this character".

The_Brigadier
Captain
Captain

Post by The_Brigadier » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:59 pm

capnnerefir wrote:
The_Brigadier wrote: the character winds as a too much of a ball-busting b*tch (Nynaeve from the Eye of the World)
But we love Nynaeve for that! Besides, those guys all require ball busting ever now and then. Otherwise they'd end up as insufferable assholes (*glares at Matrim*) or do something stupid like rid up to Shayol Ghul and try to punch the Dark One in the face (*glared at Rand, Lan, and a good 30% of the characters*).
What do you mean we? I thought she was an annoying b*tch who needed to shut the f*ck up and get with the program. The "war" between the sexes is completely irrelevant when lives are on the line.

As for the whole writing females, I don't think I ever escape the whole balancing act between her yin and yang. I'm so paranoid about making her too much a *shudders* Nynaeve or a (oh merciful heavens) Catherine Dollanganger.

Hm. Now that I think about it, KAA did a great interpretation of females in Animorphs. Rachel appeared to be outwardly feminine, but even before the war, she was harboring a bold side that turned into something more psychotic. Cassie was actually quite the opposite, being outwardly non-feminine, but displaying the archetypes of the healer, empath, and mother.

Sorry for bothering you guys, but gender analysis has always piqued my interest.

The_Brigadier
Captain
Captain

Post by The_Brigadier » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:08 pm

Hey, capn. Since you're an English major, can I ask you these questions?

capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Post by capnnerefir » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:43 pm

Well, I'm not technically an English major anymore, since I left college years ago, but I might still be able to help. Shoot.

The_Brigadier
Captain
Captain

Post by The_Brigadier » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:00 pm

A little birdie told me that Western literature has taken a shift. Awhile ago, writing a story was about asking a question, proposing an answer to a question, or challenging society. At the moment, literature is more focused on plots, settings, and characters, rather than philosophy or picking a fight with the world.

From your studies and literary range, have you noticed the shift between "philosophy being the most impotant aspect of a piece" to "plots, settings, and characters being the most focused upon part"?