The Wheel of Time

Discuss about books other than Animorphs (written/not written by K.A. Applegate)
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
CorDarei

The Wheel of Time

Post by CorDarei » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:42 pm

Hey all of you Animorphs fans! One of my favorite series that I have read recently is called the Eye of the World series. It was by a man named Robert Jordan. I find the series to be fantastic although I will warn you ahead of time there are many long books involved. Unfortunately Robert Jordan passed away before being able to finish the final book so the plot he outlined is being written by a ghost writer. You should all check it out!
Last edited by capnnerefir on Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic should have been retitled long ago.

darkflame91
Admiral
Admiral
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Re: Eye of the World

Post by darkflame91 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:29 pm

Its actually the Wheel of Time series...
Eye of Time is the name of the first book...
I got the whole collection, but didn't read more than a few pages...seemed to be too much of the typical sword-and-sorcery fantasy stuff...
----
This ex-moderator is almost never online. Noob AFF'ers, I AM THE GHOST EX-MOD. FEAR ME. Also happens to be the first member of this forum to use xkcd in their signature. =D
----

maxonennis
Warrior
Warrior
Favourite Animorph: Jake

Post by maxonennis » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:42 pm

I love the WOT series, I'm waiting for fall of 2009 when Brandon Sanderson--who is writing the last book for Jordan who passed away about a year ago--relieses the final book. But a fair warning: Jordan had about fifty main charactors, and a few hundred secondary charactors, and he writes from any given one at any time in the series. And on top of that, the plot can be really confusing. For those two reasons most people read the first two to five books and never pickup another.
A common problem that people have after reading the first few books, they believe that this is a book series about a man who saves the world--and this it typical of most books like tWOT. That's completely wrong, it's a book series about how the world deals with the coming ending. If you keep that in mind, it will help with the rest of the books. And don't be suprised if in the later books Rand seems not to get any face time, he isn't the main charactor.
As for the poster above, at the time he wrote the first novel the only kind of fantasy there was was the Tolkinques. He started his first few chapters of his first novel much like any other fantasy novel so it would sale, but after about ten chapters he completely takes the story somewhere different. The problem is that so many writers have straight copied a lot of his stuff from his first book, that it now--eighteen years later--looks like a typical fantasy novel.

Mibu

Post by Mibu » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:55 pm

I've been reading them off and on for a while now, plan on finishing them sometime but I've been sidetracked lately. Everything I've read so far has been good though.

kookook
Gedd

Post by kookook » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:32 am

I only survived till halfway of book 9.

Book 10 and 11 got so - complicated and there were just so many people that I had to flip back to old books to read who was who and I missed the main characters and it felt a lot like I was studying and needed a reference book... :?

He should have stopped the series at the 6th book, max. Less maybe but no more. WOT was decent till then.
It had a lot of potential to be amazing - it really did. What a pity...

slyven

Post by slyven » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:10 pm

Lets not pull any punches:
WoT has some bad writing. Its like Jordan got a little high after the 7th book and went crazy with plots and stories, calming down only when he got to the 10th book.

But that aside this is one of the series that simply draws me. I have read it through2 or 3 times and I was on my 3rd or 4th reread when I had my exams. Its like fictional crack. Its not particularly 'art', but its soooo good. I don't even care Jordan isn;t writing the last book much. As long as Bradon has the complete notes I should be happy. He is not going to tell us which part is his and which part is Jordan so the book will be made or broken by how seemlessly the 2 styles interchange.

mustangs62
Gedd
Favourite Animorph: Rachel

Post by mustangs62 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:08 am

The Wheel of Time series is pretty fantastic. Jordan created an incredibly deep and detailed fantasy universe for the reader to inhabit. However, that same depth is blended with an increasingly convoluted plot that can make reading the (long) books a bit confusing at times. Nonetheless, this is an excellent series.

capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Post by capnnerefir » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:13 pm

maxonennis wrote:I'm waiting for fall of 2009 when Brandon Sanderson--who is writing the last book for Jordan who passed away about a year ago--relieses the final book.
Ever since I heard of Jordan's death (P.S. Robert Jordan wasn't really his name. I won't speak his name out of respect. If he had wanted me using his real name, he would have published under that name, but I thought you might like to know it's a pseudonym if you didn't know it already) I have been waiting for some word. It's so tragic that he died before he completed his masterpiece. WOT is one of the greatest fantasy epics ever written. Jordan was a literary genius. No one, to the best of my knowledge, has ever crafted such a real-feeling world or characters.
Sadly, few appreciate Jordan's genius because they either 1.) don't get it or 2.) are intimidated by the length of his books or 3.) it isn't what they're expecting so they read the series the wrong way. What I mean by number three is this: Jordan writes High-Fantasy. HF isn't about the traditional fantasy narrative. It's more about life itself than some epic quest. It's about people trying to get by in that world. That's why some people don't read the books right. Usually, everything in a fantasy story comes down to a fight. Jordan isn't like that. Some of his books (especiallly those in the middle of the series and especially those dealing with the succession of the throne of Andor [I hope I got that name right, it's been quite a while since I read WOT]) are more about politics, so things are settled by words and devious plots rather than bloody slaughter. Not that I'm not a fan of bloody slaughter, of course.

maxonennis
Warrior
Warrior

Post by maxonennis » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:34 pm

capnnerefir wrote:
maxonennis wrote:I'm waiting for fall of 2009 when Brandon Sanderson--who is writing the last book for Jordan who passed away about a year ago--relieses the final book.
Ever since I heard of Jordan's death (P.S. Robert Jordan wasn't really his name. I won't speak his name out of respect. If he had wanted me using his real name, he would have published under that name, but I thought you might like to know it's a pseudonym if you didn't know it already)

Lol. Everyone already knows James Rigney's his real name. When he started writing, as an inside joke, he wanted a different pseudonym for each book series he had published. He went by Reagan O'Neal for his Fallon series, and Jackson O'Reilly for his western novel Cheyenne Raiders.

You should, if you already haven't, read Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy. Very good read.

Fizban
Civilian
Favourite Animorph: Rachel

Re: The Wheel of Time

Post by Fizban » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:08 pm

Wheel of Time has so many characters it can get bogged down, and for about 3-4 books in the middle it's all politics, then after that it's all setting up for the end game, which takes forever because of the number of characters (ex: the first few books were about a year each character time, but I think the last was maybe 2-3 months, cause there were 5 times as many perspectives to cover). In spite of this, it is awesome. A lot of people complain about him ripping off other books (Lord of the Rings, Dune, and tons of others I couldn't even name), but the thing is, he does it well. Sure the Fades are basically suped-up ringwraiths, and the Aiel are totally Fremen, but it all works, and has it's own stuff that makes it all come together (or if it's not original, it's masterfully put together). I'm a bit apprehensive about the next book, but I'll be reading it for sure: my main concern is just how it could end to my satisfaction in only one book (it can't, but we'll see how close it gets).