What is the best fiction book you've ever read?

Discuss about books other than Animorphs (written/not written by K.A. Applegate)
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
Skttrbrain
Civilian
Favourite Animorph: Ax

Re: What is the best fiction book you've ever read?

Post by Skttrbrain » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:46 am

For you guys complaining about An Inconvenient Truth. go out and hunt up a copy of The State of the Planet by David Attenborough. It was made in 1999 and yet is a far better investigation into the question of an environmental crisis and it's possible solutions.

Anyway I wont say more so back on topic.. sorta.
I read too much to keep a favourite for long, but anyway:

The Science of Discworld by Terry Pratchett, Ian Stewart and Jack Cohen. Is probably the book that's had the biggest influence on me lately.. although it technically can't be listed for only being fiction half the time..dang the rest its a scientific text. It uses Wizards from an fantasy world accidentally creating the earth to explain physics, evolution, the big bang and the formation of the solar system amongst other things. as well as introducing the idea of lies-to-children as an explanation as to why so much of what we know is actually wrong. it also inspired me to make the mistake of reading Stephen Hawkings which left me with the knowledge that everything I knew was wrong.. and a headache doh!.

For pure fiction I'll have to choose one book that had me giggleing, horrified and amazed - 'The Year of the Angry Rabbit' by Russell Braddon. which worked on the principle of Australia accidentally discovering the ultimate bioweapon..from a failed attempt to curb the rabbit population.. Which then leads to Australia becoming the head power of the entire planet and some very wonderful skewed logic that results when you try to find a way to end war, keep the economy in check and the world happy.

wolfamorph
Favourite Animorph: Cassie

Post by wolfamorph » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:07 pm

I would have to say that the best fiction book I have ever read was... Being. Written by Kevin Brooks.
But there are so many other books that I want to read!

animorph fan101
Civilian
Favourite Animorph: Jake

Post by animorph fan101 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:48 am

right now i'm into a new series called Dragons in our Midst. it's a great series of a boy finding out about his dragon heritage. this book is not based on midevil times even though it has a dragon slayer in it. i can tell it'll be a great series and i'm only halfway through the first book. it's a must read if you're a christian and love dragon lore. i stay up half the night reading it. :D
Last edited by animorph fan101 on Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.

animorph92
Civilian

Post by animorph92 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:56 pm

i recently read the gargoyle by Andrew Davidson. it was alright but nowhere near as good as the titanious trio of Animorphs Remnants and Everworld.
yours truly
animorph 92

Muffin Man
Gedd

Post by Muffin Man » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:07 am

One of my very favourites book is the series Riverwolrd, by Philip José Farmer, especially the first and the second novels ( "To Your Scattered Bodies Go" and "The Fabulous Riverboat" )
The story is very ambitious : on an earthlike planet, every human being who ever lived on earth find themselves resurrected, hairless and naked, and wee see them, discovering this new world, and wondering : where are they ? why are they here ? is it heaven ? is it hell ? purgatory ? something else ? who resurrected them ?
This story is amazingly fascinating because the author made really good use of this ambitious project, i think it was difficult to cogitate about all the possibilities and the consequences of such an amazing idea, but the result is : one of the best books i've ever read in my life :mrgreen:

And on the list of my favourites books, just next to "Riverworld" there is "Rendez-Vous With Rama" by Arthur C Clarke. This is really SCIENCE fiction, the book is really based on the athor's scientist knowledge which makes the story really really really realistic and fascinating, but in spite of this, the story is quite easy to understand, even if you suck at science ^^
Seriously great story, i couldn't stop reading a single second :o

maxonennis
Warrior
Warrior

Post by maxonennis » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:17 am

The Old Man and the Sea by Hemingway. It's like Moby d**k without all the BS (It's litteraly about a tenth of the size as Moby d**k).

s0mbo
Warrior
Warrior

Post by s0mbo » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:12 am

My favorite book is probably either 1984 by George Orwell, or We by Yevgeny Zamyatin, while We created 1984, 1984 is more relevant to modern society, more realistic, less extreme

Zophar
Prince
Prince
Favourite Animorph: Ax

Post by Zophar » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:10 pm

maxonennis wrote:The Old Man and the Sea by Hemingway. It's like Moby d**k without all the BS (It's litteraly about a tenth of the size as Moby d**k).
I don't think you have to censor the name of the book. Moby d**k is okay, but
Spoiler:
Moby's d**k
is not.

That is, unless this place has totally gone to hell since I've been here last...

capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Post by capnnerefir » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:05 pm

Nah, the censor probably got that automatically. Let me test.

Spoiler:
Moby d**k d**k d**k Van Dyke Redick Redickulous
As you can see, it appears that when d**k appears alone, our word censor takes care of it automatically. However, when it's in a word, it's copacetic.

Current
Eldritch Abomination
Eldritch Abomination
Favourite Animorph: Rachel

Post by Current » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:36 pm

capn: I still see maxonennis post as censored with the censor turned off, though. Whereas yours appears normally.

Edit: disregard that, I was looking at the quoted version, not the post itself. It was indeed the censor.
What is not the answer to this question?