The Host

Discuss about books other than Animorphs (written/not written by K.A. Applegate)
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
BSerAkafanofblake
Admiral
Admiral
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Re: The Host

Post by BSerAkafanofblake » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:02 pm

except for the seekers.

Mae
Gedd

Post by Mae » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:39 pm

I read that book. It's definitely not as bad as Twilight but... it immediately reminded me of Animorphs, even though it'd been years since I read the series ! :)
http://maelist.wordpress.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bunny36
Gedd
Favourite Animorph: Cassie

Post by Bunny36 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:34 am

As soon as I read the back my first thought was 'animorphs rip-off' and well, it kind of is. I can't quite get into a book where the main character is a parasite and technically a murderer who has committed genocide over and over.
Spoiler:
Also even if Wanderer does regret possessing Mel she never regrets stealing the lives of any of the other sentient beings she took over. What gives?
I have decided Stephanie Meyer is in fact a yeerk spreading sympathetic propaganda.

TF.
Poke'mon Master
Poke'mon Master
Location: We can't tell you who we are. Or where we live. It's too risky... (Australia)

Post by TF. » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:56 am

I have decided Stephanie Meyer is in fact a yeerk spreading sympathetic propaganda.
Or just the worst garbage she can produce in the hope of brainwashing those hoardes of women into epic stupidity. That would probably help with their invasion, somehow.
Image Image Image Image

freded21
War-Prince
War-Prince
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Post by freded21 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:52 pm

fdragon010 wrote:Would love to see a crossover between this and Animorphs, just so justice can be done and the humans can have someone to fight for them. Plus Ax's reaction would be priceless. So would Rachel's to the wimpy females. Even Cassie would probably find their lack of spine contemptable.
Someone has to get on this immediately. There would be so many lols.
I <3 the Animorphs

I just had a AFF moment. My friends and I were talking about people who use others and I say:
"yeah it's like when someone only makes 5 posts then leaves and never comes back."
No one knew what I was talking about...

BabelFish42
Admiral
Admiral

Post by BabelFish42 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:35 pm

dreamz wrote: the ending annoyed me. Just too happily-ever-after for my taste.
Agreed. I remember reading somewhere Stephanie Meyer said she wasn't sure if she'd be able to continue the series, because she might have to kill some of her characters. She wasn't sure if she'd have the heart to do that :roll2:

That said, I enjoyed the book overall. Much better than Twilight. (I actually read Host before Twilight; Host was the reason I decided to give Twilight a chance.)
Anifan on Reddit: "Do you realize you're one of the reasons why I write fiction in my free time?"
KA: "So sorry to get you into writing. What a horrible thing to inflict on you. Should have just sold you crack."

tfoss1983
Gedd

Post by tfoss1983 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:10 pm

I downloaded the book today since it was on sale. I have...issues with Meyer, but I also have a real interest in stories about mind-controlling alien parasites, having read Animorphs and The Puppet Masters when I was young and really enjoying both. I don't know when I'll have time to read it, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

BabelFish42
Admiral
Admiral

Post by BabelFish42 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:36 am

tfoss1983 wrote:I downloaded the book today since it was on sale. I have...issues with Meyer, but I also have a real interest in stories about mind-controlling alien parasites, having read Animorphs and The Puppet Masters when I was young and really enjoying both. I don't know when I'll have time to read it, but I'm willing to give it a shot.
Like almost everyone else on here has said, it's much better than Twilight. You have aliens who actually do things, and a pretty strong female lead who is not completely helpless.

On the downside, the ever-present Meyer-verse tropes of "romantic relationships are the only thing that make life worth living," Insta-Luv, and happily-ever-after endings are all definitely still there in The Host. Just so you're forewarned.
Anifan on Reddit: "Do you realize you're one of the reasons why I write fiction in my free time?"
KA: "So sorry to get you into writing. What a horrible thing to inflict on you. Should have just sold you crack."

TheJerichoD
Gedd
Favourite Animorph: Rachel

Post by TheJerichoD » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:09 am

I don't like this, but it's pretty decent compared to Twilight.

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Post by Tobias_Marco » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:59 am

<When I heard about The Host I thought about Animorphs, and because my wife is a fan of Twiblight, I bought her a copy of The Host, and we saw the movie together.>
<I will be reading the book sometime in 2014.>
True education, true science, true religion is the search for truth.
Matthew 28:16-20, John 3:14-20