What book are you currently reading?

Discuss about books other than Animorphs (written/not written by K.A. Applegate)
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Re: What book are you currently reading?

Post by Tobias_Marco » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:43 am

<Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.>
True education, true science, true religion is the search for truth.
Matthew 28:16-20, John 3:14-20

Tobias #1
War-Prince
War-Prince

Post by Tobias #1 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:31 am

Broken Harts: The Life and Death of Owen Hart by Martha Hart with Eric Francis

A tragic story of the events leading up to the day Owen fell to his death. While I don't agree with how Martha has handled things, it's sad what happened to Owen.

Ramona
Commander
Commander

Post by Ramona » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:35 pm

I've got plenty of books I'm currently reading. From the most completed to the least.

Heartless by Marissa Meyer which I just finished a few days ago.

Murderous Contagion: A Human History of Disease by Mary Dobson.

The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Dream House by Marzia Bisognin.

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky

Heyday The 1850s and the Dawn of the Global Age by Ben Wilson.

Who do the English think they Are by Derek J. Taylor.

Britain's Europe A Thousand Years of Conflict and Cooperation by Brendan Simms.

The Pursuit of Power Europe 1815-1914 by Richard J. Evans
Look at me. I am your own nightmare....Okay, I'm not, I'm just some random on the internet that couldn't think of a witty line. Humour me?

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle

Post by Tobias_Marco » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:01 am

<With a Single Spell: A Legend of Ethshar. By: Lawrence Watt-Evans.>
<Below is a description of what happens in the first 13 pages of this 194 page story, put in cronological order.
Tobas' mother died in childbirth, later he will suspect that this is where all his bad luck started.
His father is a pirate, though he does not call himself that. Tobas's father keeps all of his treasure on ship, which will be a problem later. Tobas sails with his father a few times, but he has no love of the water and prefers life on the land. He expects to grow up and start a business with money he gets from his father; until then he lives with his aunt, uncle and cousins.
One day Tobas's father attacks a ship when a spell caster summons a powerful creature that sinks the pirate ship, everyone on board dies, all the treasure is lost.
Tobas is told that his father is dead and his money is lost. He is kicked out of the house. They don't care about him and never did.
Up until a boy turns 13 he can take on an apprenticeship and study a trade from a master...too bad Tobis is 15.
However he gets an apprenticeship from the town wizard, Roggit...who then spends the next two years only teaching him one spell...how to light a fire using magic.
Finally the old wizard gives in and says he will teach Tobas another spell...only to die in his sleep before he can do so.
This is where the book picks up.
Tobas uses the only spell he knows to light the funeral pier for his dead master.
As the funeral ends he goes to the small cottage, that is now his, and goes to open the spellbook that his master left him...
...there is just one problem. It is protected by a magic spell, and it ends up lighting the cottage on fire.
It hasn't rained in a few days or weeks, so the fire burns quickly...everything is destroyed.
The 17 year old Tobas is far too old to become an apprentice and he only knows the one spell, and has no way to learn more. He has no home, and only owns the clothes on his back.
...before the fire is put out he counts it all as a loss and leaves town to find his fortune in the world...but how?
True education, true science, true religion is the search for truth.
Matthew 28:16-20, John 3:14-20

Tobias #1
War-Prince
War-Prince

Post by Tobias #1 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:44 pm

Mounted Police by Michael Green