The Ebooks

All Animorphs downloads(including e-books) should be posted here.
Please see this to access this section
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
Amauril
Civilian
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Re: The Ebooks

Post by Amauril » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:03 am

That's reasonable. I edit my posts when I have something new to report, but I get excited when I actually manage to get something done. :P

I haven't noticed White Rabbit's chapters being jumbled, but that's because my books are a thousand miles away from me and I can't check. I went to visit some family a few months ago and found their house in such bad condition that I stayed to fix it. I didn't really expect it or I would have packed my stuff along with me.

I do expect my chapter headings to be missing or completely wrong, because they're not in my source most of the time, or at least not reliably. I add them at scene changes, or when the scene doesn't change but they repeat something verbatim within a sentence or two, or the odd place where the word 'chapter' got cut off. Probably also some of the paragraph breaking is wrong, heaven help the italic emphasis. There was one where it seemed like the beginning of the book was missing. One or two lines. I don't remember which one, now. I should go to the library and check on that one, but they don't particularly care for me. I don't wait for their maintenance guy to fix stuff.

kgray
Donator
Donator
Favourite Animorph: Ax

Post by kgray » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:24 am

Yeah if you want to have a look at the chapter jumbling have a look at book two his mobi file has 20 "chapters" while mine has the full 23. It sounds like he is doing the same thing you said putting chapters where it seem appropriate and for the most part it works. Thankfully the Animorphs series is written pretty simply so it makes it much more obvious to edit even without the physical book. As for most of the problem that this causes it's simple to fix. all i'm doing is checking paragraph by paragraph to make sure that the formatting is correct. I haven yet had to add or remove any actual text (except for one or two lines) it's mostly just moving it around. If there is anything that is missing i'll catch it on my editing pass. As long as the basic structure is there . I'm just dreading getting to one that has no proofreading and is just a two column PDF something like that will just kill your momentum.

mustangcoltsfan
Civilian

Post by mustangcoltsfan » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:03 am

Well lady and gentleman, it took awhile, but it seems as if this project is starting to make a little headway at this point. I appreciate all the effort. I'm going to be doing some conversion of my own in my free time. I'm down with doing everything except a final cleanup/proof read. But I'll happily remove images and footers. Add chapter marks. Edit anything I see as I'm doing this other stuff. They won't be the best, but I'll be able to get a lot out in a small amount of time. Then at that point one of you two, or both of you, can read over for final edits. Then after that, we can begin to work on fixing KASU's and such. Take a couple ideas from the relaunch as far as that goes. It'll be awhile, but I think we could get a decent project going. I have a combination of software I use that helps. ABBYY PDF Transformer is helpful for a lot of it. I also use Adobe Acrobat 11. A combination of calibre and jutoh. And finally, a piece of software I found called relow. It was independently written, so it's doubtful you'll find it. If either of you want it, or have any questions, let me know. Maybe the three of us could create a group or something (maybe offsite somewhere) that we can stay in better, more real time contact with each other in.

Edit: Just thinking. Also, we will need to come up with an agreed format to keep books in. And agreed font and size for everything. And finally, I'm going through the books chronologically. Sorry to just jump in here and be all "We need to do this and that and such". I can be a little overzealous and controlling at times. I'm a leader more than a follower. It's my strength and my weakness. Anyway, I'll talk to you later!

kgray
Donator
Donator

Post by kgray » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:47 am

Sounds good to me, the detail work is easy is take care of thanks to having the actual books on hand. If we are going to work on this as a group i think that serial editing will be the way to go if we could work it out so that one person was doing rough edits to get legible files, a second putting together formatting and basic structure and a third doing finalizing and proofing we could streamline and make the editing process more efficient.

I'm not sure how i feel about fixing KASUs and the the like. if we so then we should definitely have two version one exactly as the original books have it and one fixed version.

I'm pretty well set on software, i've found that using calibre for the conversions and metadata, notepad++ for mass edits, and sigil for the fine editing of the epubs works well for me.

I feel that the format should be epub as it is an open standard, is well supported on a wide range of devices and is easily convertible. I agree that we should definitely decide on a style guide however i think that it should be minimal as one of the best features of ebooks is the ability to select your own font/size/colors so we should focus more on consistency and stylistic factors ( i.e. stuff like whether ellipsis should be ... or . . . or whether dashes should be an en dash or em dash). Also i'm going through the books in recommended reading order as laid out at the bottom of this page http://www.hiracdelest.com/story.htm i believe it is chronological but i'm not sure.

Also should we make the Alternamorphs books part of this project?

mustangcoltsfan
Civilian

Post by mustangcoltsfan » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:29 pm

I agree with what you said as far as all that goes. Just a basic style guide to keep things uniform. I don't have any of the books, so I can do the first two steps, but the final one would be up to you. As far as Alternamorphs go, I think we should include them, but only after every other book is done. I have added the reading order for you. That being said, I'm working on the andalite chronicles right now. I will upload that as well as a formatting guide in the next few hours. I think we should use the en dash and the ... ellipses. When we have a file fully read and finished, we should add a finished tag to the end. Such as (Animorphs #1 - The Invasion - Finished.epub). Finally, I'm thinking we should open a new thread for our project. Maybe call it "The Animorphs EBook TIdy Up Project". One that the three of us have the first three posts. That way we don't have a few book in one place and a few more in another. We could keep everything in one place.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kgray
Donator
Donator

Post by kgray » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:09 pm

That Looks pretty good, i still disagree on the ordering, i'd prefer published order not in story chronology but it's a minor thing as there are only a few spots where the differ. the formatting guide i've redone a bit so have a look and let me know what you think, i'm sticking with the . . . ellipses as the is what the book uses and i'd like to stay as close as possible to the original formatting. A new thread is a good idea but Amauril said that attachments are limited to 10 per post so well have to link them off site or just put them up in blocks of 10. Another thought i had is that we could use something like dropbox to sync our work i have an account with plenty of space that we could use. Finally we should all share info for some kind of chat program (google chat would be preferred but skype or something could work) just so we don't have to pollute the forum with discussions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mustangcoltsfan
Civilian

Post by mustangcoltsfan » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:07 pm

Your format page blows mine out of the water, hahaha. I agree with you as far as original formatting goes. I don't have any of the physical books so I was just saying what I'd use. But I'd rather them be as close to the original as possible. I agree with google chat and dropbox as well. I'll create a new thread, but the only thing we will upload to it is the final product. Nothing else. The semi finished ones will just be shared between us. We'd have to discuss the logistics/specifics. Who does what and when and such. How to rename files. That brings us to google chat. Are you refering to google talk?

kgray
Donator
Donator

Post by kgray » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:18 pm

yeah google chat, send me a request ...

Edit: removed my email. Amauril, PM me or mustangcoltsfan to get in on the chat and such.

Amauril
Civilian
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Post by Amauril » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:09 am

Be careful with Dropbox, they like to ban accounts storing ebooks, whether they're legally purchased or not. Granted, the majority of these bans seem to be people storing their entire Calibre library in the cloud, but still something to keep in mind.

The 'previous versions' feature they have is pretty sweet, though.