The Ebooks

All Animorphs downloads(including e-books) should be posted here.
Please see this to access this section
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
mustangcoltsfan
Civilian

The Ebooks

Post by mustangcoltsfan » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:49 pm

So, just a question. Since scholastic has cancelled continuing on with the relaunch, would we be able to in theory open the ebook project back up. I mean, if one person were to take on one book, with the size of the community, it'd take less than a month to have it done. Like, completed in a simple format and such.

What is everyone elses input on this?

White Rabbit
Civilian
Favourite Animorph: Rachel

Re: The Ebooks

Post by White Rabbit » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:57 pm

I'm always looking for people to help on my conversion project. PM me for details

loosonghan
Warrior
Warrior

Post by loosonghan » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:11 am

What is PM?
When life throws you lemons...
Keep them, cause they are free

A journey of a thousand miles begin with a step...
On a gas pedal.

He who laugh last...
Is the slowest!

kgray
Donator
Donator
Favourite Animorph: Ax

Post by kgray » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:19 am

I would be interested in getting in on editing the ebooks, i have the physical copies of every book in the series so i can check the digital files against the physical ones easily. I have a bit of experience with editing ebooks but my experience is limited to a combo of Calibre and Notepad++. If someone could show me the prefered programs for editing ebooks i could get started tomorrow. There should probably be a style guide set up first though so that the books look the same after multiple people have worked on them.

Amauril
Civilian
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Post by Amauril » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:30 am

Kgray, I would love some help editing, because my books are a thousand miles away from me right now and none of these morphs have infinite Inspector Gadget arms. That's mixing genres, I know.

I've been editing the books as DOC files in Word 2013 after converting them from PDFs with Nitro Pro 8 (you can also convert for free one at a time on their website) and saving them as HTML files (the second option that doesn't generate extra folders) for easy conversion to EPUB in Calibre. This is probably the long way around, but it works. Nitro does a very good job, Word has perfectly good find and replace functions, and Calibre inserts the cover and generates a table of contents when converting to EPUB.

I'll get to work making a style guide before the next book I edificate (at least for the books I've done, I hadn't actually set out to match White Rabbit's, which was silly of me.) I can also upload my DOC files, so there isn't an additional layer of conversion in the pipeline, as long as you don't mind working in that format.

kgray
Donator
Donator

Post by kgray » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:53 am

I've edited the first book using White Rabbit's mobi files as a base, i found Sigil which lets me edit epub directly. I'll post the book as an attachment here. Basically the only changes i made are tweaks to chapter headers, added italics to match with the book, moved the table of contents to the front and fixed ellipsis to be consistent with the books (word . . . instead of word... ) . Let me know what you think.

p.s. is there something special i need to do to be able to attach files?

Edit attached book one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by kgray on Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amauril
Civilian

Post by Amauril » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:36 pm

I think that's awesome. Also, to attach a file, you need to go into full reply mode, which you do by actually clicking the "post reply" button. Attachments are accessed by a tab underneath the reply box. There is a max attachment limit of ten per post. Some special people evidently have FTP access for the site, that would be nice for mass file postings. On my posts, I insert the attachments inline as well so I can keep them in order, you'll see an option to do that after you've attached the file to your post.

Is Sigil easy to use? I haven't actually tried it yet, it was in pre-alpha stages last time I really looked.

kgray
Donator
Donator

Post by kgray » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:02 pm

Alright, i see that now. Thanks! Do you think i should make a post or should i wait till i have a few books done (5? 10?). With the already well formatted mobi files i can do about a page per minute and a half, so a book a day would be a comfortable working pace. As it is i'm mostly through book two, the formatting on it was much worse than book 1. There were a lot of badly split paragraphs and the 23 chapters of the book were fit onto only 20 chapters of ebook so I've had to do a lot of shuffling of text. Did you get a chance to look at my first book and see if the formatting look like something we want to go with? Finally my thoughts on Sigil so far are that it works great for line by line editing it has a nice paneled interface that lets me see the file structure, text editing area, table of contents, ebook view and the code at the same time so getting the formatting consistent will be easier.

Also apologies to mustangcoltsfan for kinda hijacking your thread, i promise i'll put up one of my own soon.

Edit: Just finished book two.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Amauril
Civilian

Post by Amauril » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:36 pm

It looks good to me. I would also put the author on the title page, though. You might post in White Rabbit's thread, which is what I have been doing since it's all the same project, and when we get more done, make an official thread and/or webpage for it. Webpage is kind of risky, I suppose, but I don't think the guy with the PDF webpage has gotten any legal threats, has he? I do one or two a day, converting from PDF to a first draft, unless I can't sleep and then I do a few extra because my brain won't shut up anyway, but then I have a week where I just don't have time to do anything. @_@

I hope my conversions don't cause you too much trouble. I'm working on another one now. :3

kgray
Donator
Donator

Post by kgray » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:58 pm

I think i am going to wait until i have at least 10 of the book finished, i currently have 1,2,4, & 5 done. i found that i have somehow misplaced 3 over the years so i have a used copy coming from amazon which should arrive within the week. I'll go ahead and add the author to all the ones i do, that a good idea and something that i didn't even think about. As far as your conversions i welcome them, anything that is already edited before i get to it just make it easier to simply change formatting to make it consistent rather than editing the content. Speaking of which have you noticed the White Rabbit's mobi files have the chapters extremely jumbled? I don't know if he has been just working with the digital files and not the physical books or if there is a very different edition than what i have but so far 2,4 & 5 have all had major restructuring that needed to be done to make the table of contents and chapter headings match with the text.