Book 33: The Illusion

Come here to see the discussion threads for the Animorphs Book of the Week
Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Book 33: The Illusion

Post by Tobias_Marco » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:18 pm

<The Yeerks have finished their anti-morphing ray and want to test it. Tobias comes up with a plan to trick the Yeerks into thinking that it doesn't work; if they capture him, they will try to use it on his hawk form, but hawk is his true form now. Tobias acquires Ax—thus allowing him to 'demorph' and reinforce the impression that he is a genuine Andalite—and then gets captured by the Yeerks. Rachel was supposed to be with him in fly morph to be able to rescue him and tell the rest where the lab was. However, sub-visser Taylor gave them an anesthetic so she couldn't grip to Tobias and fell to the floor. Tobias, alone and trapped, tries to get demorphed unsuccessfully since he is already demorphed. He is then tortured by the sadistic Taylor with a machine that controls the parts of the brain that induce pain and pleasure. He almost goes insane and nearly dies after receiving heightened, alternating doses of painful and pleasant sensations and memories. He sees painful memories of childhood neglect or battle, after seeing pleasant peaceful memories. This process nearly kills him. Here, he experienced an Utzum, later explained by Ax to be a vision ancient Andalites believed happened at the moment of death to comfort those crossing over. (Ax mentions that Andalites no longer believe this.) These images are supposed to be passed through DNA. Tobias is spoken to by his father Elfangor who shares with him his own memories of hardship, battle, his moments of questioning himself and his own actions. He reminds Tobias that he is part of a great tradition of warriors in order to comfort him before his death. Tobias is rescued by Ax and the other animorphs. In the battle he persuades Rachel not to kill Taylor, so as not sink to her level. After the battle Tobias continues to question who and what he is. Andalite? Human? Hawk? However he takes comfort in his relationship with Rachel and they kiss for the first time in the main series.>

<One of my biggest problems with this book is that Tobias acquired Ax so that he could 'demorph' when his two hours was up, if they were really going to go with that plan he should have 'demorphed' about an hour after being captured. However he didn't do this as he didn't want to make it easy to infest him, yet then he 'demorphed' latter, causing Taylor to wonder how he beat the two hour limit.>
True education, true science, true religion is the search for truth.
Matthew 28:16-20, John 3:14-20

gh astly
Djentle Djiant
Djentle Djiant
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Re: Book 33: The Illusion

Post by gh astly » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:23 pm

Really, this was one of my favorite books in the series, and my absolute favorite Tobias book. Everything really worked for me; the characterization was really well-done, the ghostwriter managed to really capture the style of KA and Michael Grant, and there was plenty of delicious, delicious trauma.

As for your complaint that you mentioned, I think it could have just been that with how badly messed up Tobias had been, he needed to demorph to heal, but went to Andalite to at least sort of keep up the illusion that they're Andalites. I could be wrong, because it's been quite a while since I've read this one.
Animorphs: The Abridged Series. Post there so I'm not lonely.

So just shut your face and take a seat, 'cause after all, we're just talking meat. And music?

Well, it's just entertainment, folks.

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle

Post by Tobias_Marco » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:24 pm

<Seeing Tobias' vision of his father was an interesting touch. One of the few times we see anything of Andalite religion.>

lady_summoner
Donator
Donator

Post by lady_summoner » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:57 am

One of my favorites and definitely favorite of the ghost-written books. I think the individual scenes that Tobias experiences are so vivid and well-written.

Also "Hork-Bajir Playing Cards" needs to be a real picture that I can hang in my living room.
And there, directly in front of us, were four Hork-Bajir. Seated around a card table. Elbow blades hanging casually off the chairs. Tails slung back across the floor. Each held a hand of cards tightly in his claws. A single, unshaded lightbulb dangled from the ceiling.

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle

Post by Tobias_Marco » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:29 pm

<...you can work that into a new Animorph game.>

YeerkSalad
War-Prince
War-Prince
Favourite Animorph: Ax
Location: You're right! That place you're thinking of? I live there! Are you a psychic?

Post by YeerkSalad » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:26 pm

I personally think that Miss Geroux's writing style is superior to Applegate/Grant's. It seemed like a book that might not have been written as well had it been handled by the original authors. [sarcasm]Generally, I want to personally hunt down and murder the ghostwriters,[/sarcasm] but in this case, I think that Ellen deserves a hug.
She probably needs one, having been traumatized by this book.
I had to look up the definition of a word in both book 32 and 33 on this one. 32 had "iota," and this one had... I don't even remember.
There's nothing like a nice description of bleeding eyes, eh?
I'm way more active on RAF. If you want to contact me, go there.

EJsvucky
Gedd
Favourite Animorph: Rachel

Book 33 The Illusion

Post by EJsvucky » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:48 am

the book's on order and i'm checking the delivery status every hour on the amazon site. can't wait to get it.

is there anything about coin doors in the book??