Book 30: The Reunion

Come here to see the discussion threads for the Animorphs Book of the Week
gh astly
Djentle Djiant
Djentle Djiant
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Book 30: The Reunion

Post by gh astly » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:22 pm

Sorry for being a little late in posting this. I kind of forgot about it.

The Plot:
Spoiler:
Marco skips school for no reason, only to encounter Visser One (in a ridiculous disguise). She is working out of an office building, trying to get information to disgrace Visser Three to make up for the failure of the whole hammerhead shark thing. The Animorphs pretend to agree to lead Visser One to the free Hork-Bajir colony so that Visser Three can follow her there and they can kill him. But it is all a ruse. The Hork-Bajir colony they show her is one of Erek's holograms, and they are really hoping Vissers One and Three will just kill each other. But Marco can't handle being in close proximity to his not-dead mom, and accidentally-on-purpose reveals his identity to her. Just then, Visser Three arrives with a bunch of ships, prompting Visser One to reveal that she also has a bunch of ships. Each declares that the other is under arrest and in the fight that ensues, Visser One falls off the cliffside and her body is not recovered.
Animorphs: The Abridged Series. Post there so I'm not lonely.

So just shut your face and take a seat, 'cause after all, we're just talking meat. And music?

Well, it's just entertainment, folks.

lady_summoner
Donator
Donator
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Re: Book 30: The Reunion

Post by lady_summoner » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:07 am

Wow am I actually going to be the first one to reply to this? I can't believe I'm finally caught up.

Anyways, I like this book. It's got a lot of build up with getting Visser One to follow Marco's plan and making sure Visser One is followed. Marco's thoughts of going back and forth and whether he could really do it was great. Yet again, Marco is not sure if his mother is alive. It should also be mentioned that it was Cassie who flew into Marco's mother which made her fall off the cliff.

I noticed that Marco was able to send an email from the computer in the barn. However this computer did not have a modem as of book 29. Sure they may have bought one since then, but they didn't mention it if they did.
She eyed a blind woman's guide dog suspiciously.
Is this a bit of clever foreshadowing?

gh astly
Djentle Djiant
Djentle Djiant

Post by gh astly » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:24 am

I wouldn't be surprised. There was a lot of subtle foreshadowing like that.
This was a book that I really liked, too. There were a few small things that kept it from being one of the best, for example, some stupidity with Visser One's hologram projector, but even then, they didn't hinder the emotional impact at all for me.
Sorry I'm not saying too much. I've been incredibly busy lately and haven't had time to re-read this one.

So just shut your face and take a seat, 'cause after all, we're just talking meat. And music?

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Post by Tobias_Marco » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:57 pm

<I liked this book, it had a lot of good parts.>
<By the way, I just moved so all my Animorph books are in a box in my living room, so don't be too suprised it the next book of the week is a little late, however I will get to it. I'm just glad it wasn't my turn to post this one.>

<As for foreshadowing...>
The Reunion is the 30th book in the Animorphs series, authored by K.A. Applegate. It is known to have been ghostwritten by Elise Donner. It is narrated by Marco.
The Diversion, published in 2001 and written by K. A. Applegate, is the 49th book in the Animorphs series. It is the final book (fully) narrated by Tobias.
<...you be the judge.>
True education, true science, true religion is the search for truth.
Matthew 28:16-20, John 3:14-20

NinaRayquaza
Cyborg

Post by NinaRayquaza » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:41 pm

It's been a while since I read this book, but I remember enjoying it. I tend to enjoy the Marco books the most (I know, what a shocker). The combination of his sarcastic humour and the emotional conflict over his mother/Visser One are always major factors, and as far as I remember, this book was rich with both. Also, this quote which I may or may not have copied from Cinnamon Bunzuh:
People don't understand the word ruthless. They think it means "mean."

It's not about being mean. It's about seeing the bright, clear line that leads from A to B. The line that goes from motive to means. Beginning to end.

It's about seeing that bright, clear line and not caring about anything but the beautiful fact that you can see the solution. Not caring about anything else but the perfection of it.

That's what had happened. I saw the way to take both Vissers down. And that's all that mattered.

But I wasn't going to explain all that. Other people's pity just messes with the straight line. Other people's pity makes you think things you can't think about when you are seeing the line.
I am from Australia. I am Australese.

On 10 May 2015, I became a cyborg.

Did I make an error when I said I was Australese?

SimplyCass
Gedd

Post by SimplyCass » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:01 pm

The ending is what really gets me, with Rachel and Marco, with Marco trying to be a "smart" and dismissive,
Spoiler:
with Rachel nicely telling him that it wouldn't be charity or pity to make Marco feel better in giving him false hope that his mother would be alive. They ended that "is she alive?" thing pretty quickly, though, with Marco's father being married in #35 (with another drop with the tie-in with Visser, #40 being completely off the wall, and #45 where Eva is rescued
So awesome. One of the best moments of their relationship.

gh astly
Djentle Djiant
Djentle Djiant

Post by gh astly » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:05 am

As a Marco fan, the ending really does get me, too.
Welcome to the forum, SimplyCass!

kmbarrett
Gedd

Post by kmbarrett » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:58 am

Ok. Let me just say that Marco had a lot if balls to set up his mother like that.