The Hork-Bajir Chronicles

Come here to see the discussion threads for the Animorphs Book of the Week
gh astly
Djentle Djiant
Djentle Djiant
Favourite Animorph: Marco

The Hork-Bajir Chronicles

Post by gh astly » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:34 am

Was gonna write my own summary, but got busy playing Pokemon. Again. I have a nasty habit of doing that. Summary is stolen from the usual place.
You may notice that I'm not trying to say anything clever here. That's because I'm laaaaaaazy.

Summary:
Spoiler:
After his epic screw-up, Prince Seerow is sent to the Hork-Bajir homeworld because none of the Andalites want to look at him. He brings his wife and two children. His daughter, Aldrea, befriends an unusual Hork-Bajir named Dak Hamee, who is capable of a much higher level of thought than all the other Hork-Bajir. The Yeerks arrive to steal some Hork-Bajir hosts, and murder Aldrea's family in the process. To escape, Aldrea and Dak flee to the monster-filled canyon that the Hork-Bajir call Father Deep. Within hide the Arn, a highly advanced race of bioengineers who created the Hork-Bajir to care for the trees and maintain the oxygen levels on the surface. The Arn are almost as polite as the Andalites. Aldrea and Dak take control of the monsters the Arn have created and attack the Yeerk Pool. Aldrea manages to send a distress call to the Andalite homeworld in the confusion, and also the Hork-Bajir learn about murder. It's open warfare for the next seven months until the Andalites finally arrive, and then it is more open warfare with the good guys still at a distinct disadvantage. Alloran is getting sort of desperate, so he commissions the quantum virus that he will later become famous for. Aldrea and Dak put it in a canister and try to destroy it, but the Yeerks attack and it is lost. Aldrea gets infested by Visser Three for approximately six seconds. Then they escape. Aldrea traps herself in Hork-Bajir morph so she can be with Dak. One of Dak's friends finds the virus canister--open. He dies horrifically and Aldrea and Dak run away. And then I guess they have babies or something THE END.
Get out there and discuss!
Animorphs: The Abridged Series. Post there so I'm not lonely.

So just shut your face and take a seat, 'cause after all, we're just talking meat. And music?

Well, it's just entertainment, folks.

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Re: The Hork-Bajir Chronicles

Post by Tobias_Marco » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:23 am

guitarhero01234 wrote:Was gonna write my own summary, but got busy playing Pokemon. Again. I have a nasty habit of doing that. Summary is stolen from the usual place.
You may notice that I'm not trying to say anything clever here. That's because I'm laaaaaaazy.
<...and so began EVERY book summery by gh.>
<I on the other hand have already typed my review of book #23 and started on my review of book #25, despite the fact that my computer is being slower than a rock.>

<getting back to HB Chron, I found it to be a very interesting tale. I found it somewhat odd that Hork-Bajir could be such good story tellers given their over all lack of intelligence.>

<I would type more but my computer is just being far too slow. It took 30 seconds from when I finished that last sentence until it appeared on my screen.>
True education, true science, true religion is the search for truth.
Matthew 28:16-20, John 3:14-20

gh astly
Djentle Djiant
Djentle Djiant

Post by gh astly » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:17 pm

0.0 That is a slow computer.
As for the HB Chronicles, it's probably my least favorite out of the Chronicles books. That doesn't mean it's bad, but there are a few oddities that keep it from being as great as the others. I'll go into more depth later, but right now, I just got home from school and I want to kind of relax for a bit.
Also, good to see that you're still alive, TM.

So just shut your face and take a seat, 'cause after all, we're just talking meat. And music?

Visser_5.1
Captain
Captain
Location: I can't tell you where I am, if I do the Animorphs may find me.

Post by Visser_5.1 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:36 pm

Yeah, TM. We would hate to lose the chance to tease you some more.
This book was alright, I remember looking forward to it when it first came out.
It was nice to get another view of the war.
"What the Hell" Avril Lavigne

jcscott125
Gedd

Post by jcscott125 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:10 pm

guitarhero01234 wrote:Was gonna write my own summary, but got busy playing Pokemon. Again. I have a nasty habit of doing that. Summary is stolen from the usual place.

Summary:
Spoiler:
After his epic screw-up, Prince Seerow is sent to the Hork-Bajir homeworld because none of the Andalites want to look at him. He brings his wife and two children. His daughter, Aldrea, befriends an unusual Hork-Bajir named Dak Hamee, who is capable of a much higher level of thought than all the other Hork-Bajir. The Yeerks arrive to steal some Hork-Bajir hosts, and murder Aldrea's family in the process. To escape, Aldrea and Dak flee to the monster-filled canyon that the Hork-Bajir call Father Deep. Within hide the Arn, a highly advanced race of bioengineers who created the Hork-Bajir to care for the trees and maintain the oxygen levels on the surface. The Arn are almost as polite as the Andalites. Aldrea and Dak take control of the monsters the Arn have created and attack the Yeerk Pool. Aldrea manages to send a distress call to the Andalite homeworld in the confusion, and also the Hork-Bajir learn about murder. It's open warfare for the next seven months until the Andalites finally arrive, and then it is more open warfare with the good guys still at a distinct disadvantage. Alloran is getting sort of desperate, so he commissions the quantum virus that he will later become famous for. Aldrea and Dak put it in a canister and try to destroy it, but the Yeerks attack and it is lost. Aldrea gets infested by Visser Three for approximately six seconds. Then they escape. Aldrea traps herself in Hork-Bajir morph so she can be with Dak. One of Dak's friends finds the virus canister--open. He dies horrifically and Aldrea and Dak run away. And then I guess they have babies or something THE END.
Get out there and discuss!
Thanks for the great summary! Has been forever since I read that one.

gh astly
Djentle Djiant
Djentle Djiant

Post by gh astly » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:20 pm

Well, I didn't write the summary myself, I stole it from the Cinnamon Bunzuh blog (which I love). That has been the case for every Book of the Week that I've hosted aside from 24.
I'd recommend revisiting this one. Aside from a few plot holes, most involving the Quantum Virus, it's a pretty good story.

kmc1987
Gedd

Post by kmc1987 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:27 pm

does this book add anything to the main story

gh astly
Djentle Djiant
Djentle Djiant

Post by gh astly » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:51 pm

It does elaborate on the conflict between the Hork-Bajir and Andalites. Also, it introduces Toby, who appears in other books.

elmayimbe80
Gedd
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Post by elmayimbe80 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:14 pm

amazing look into the Hork Bajir Mythos. Aldrea was super rebellious and i loved her for it. Additionally, Visser 3's origin is a great added bonus.

Would love to see a film representation of these loving peaceful turned deadly creatures. The TV series did them no justice.

elmayimbe80

YeerkSalad
War-Prince
War-Prince
Favourite Animorph: Ax
Location: You're right! That place you're thinking of? I live there! Are you a psychic?

Post by YeerkSalad » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:25 pm

Actually, the TV series did it no justice, there being just one Bajir.

This book was good, but I don't have much to say about it. Not my favorite, not my least favorite. I was baffled by the price, though. $12.95 (USD)? Thank goodness I got this for my birthday, because I sure wouldn't have paid for it otherwise.
I'm way more active on RAF. If you want to contact me, go there.