Megamorphs 2: In the time of Dinosaurs

Come here to see the discussion threads for the Animorphs Book of the Week
Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Megamorphs 2: In the time of Dinosaurs

Post by Tobias_Marco » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:51 am

<Welcome back to Animorphs Fan Forum's Book of the Week, I am your host Tobias_March.>
<Today we are going to be talking about the second of the Megamorph books, and also the second Animorph book to feature time travel.>
<In this case the Animorphs go back to the days of...wait for it...the dinosaurs!>

<Megamorph 2: In The Time of Dinosaurs starts with “My name is Marco” then he tells us that he has a blowhole. >
<For those of you who want to skip the part that is in EVERY Animorph book (except book 1 and the Altermorphs), skip page 1, paragraph 4, to page 3, paragraph 4.>
<When Marco sees a news report about a downed nuclear submarine, he and the other Animorphs set out to find it in dolphin morphs. As luck would have it there is also a huge storm raging as they set out, giving them an empty beach to morph in. This also makes it a lot harder on Tobias who has to morph from bird (a creature of the air) to dolphin (a creature of the sea).>
<They find the sub and kidnap a diver so they can show her where the missing sub is. However they have beem in morph too long and will not be able to make it back to shore without demorphing and re-morphing. So they go to the surface, far from the other boats and do that. Then they swim down and check to make sure things are going alright.>
<The sub has been founed and evacuated, however they notice that everyone is trying to get out of there in a real hurry, as if being as far away from that sub as possible is a REALLY good idea. So Jake gives the order to hual tail.>
<When the warheads in the submarine detonate, however, the group finds themselves transported through time by a Sario rip, to the era of dinosaurs (the Late Cretaceous period, to be exact)>
<Everyone is surprised that the sky is so clear when there was a storm raging just a short time ago, and Cassie sees a volcano, and Rachel admits that she learned about volcanoes from The Magic School Bus (Another book series from Scholastic).>
<Ax trys to warn everyone about two large life forms approaching that are not whales, however nobody believes him because they are too focused on the volcano.>
<The two life forms turn out to be Elasmosaurus, the same kind of creature as the Loc Ness monster.>
<Then as they try to swim away from these two hungry folks Rachel and Tobias are eaten by a kronosaurus and believed dead by the other Animorphs. The other Animorphs make their way to land, where they find that the boardwalk is gone, there is no trash or signs of humans at all and they find an alley way in the trees where the top third of each tree has had the leaves stripped off. At first the Animorphs think this was done by a tornado (Another clue to where the Animorphs live, a tornado is a realistic idea when they think they are close to home), and Ax asks if tornados have feet.>
<The Animorphs encounter a number of dinosaurs, including the Tyrannosaurus rex, which Ax barely manages to kill and they build the first ever intenchanaly made fire, cook the first ever cooked food, and hear the first ever complaint about food (on Earth by Humans anyway).>
<Meanwhile Tobias has had his wing broken by smashing it into Rachel inside the stomach of their hungry friend and Rachel tears their friend a new one by morphing into a grizzly bear and digging her way into his (or her) lungs.>
<In pain the creature beaches himself and Rachel and Tobias walk out and Tobias tells Rachel that they are now in the last third of the age of Dinosaurs, the age of T-Rex.>
<Tobias tries morphing to human and back to bird to heal his wing, however that would have allowed then to rejoin the other Animorphs too soon so K.A.A. makes it so that doesn’t work.>
<They walk around trying to find the others and see smoke from the fire (oddky befire the others have even made it, but shhh don’t tell anyone. Then they run into some problems with a pack of Deinonychus, both manage to acquire the pack's leader and escape. Later they encountered by a vicious ant-like alien race known as the Nesk, who attempt to kill Rachel and Tobias.>
<Another T-rex shows up and attempts to eat Jake. Jake morphs while inside the beast, injuring it and causing it to spit him out, and die but not before the other three Animorphs acquire it.>
<The six Animorphs find themselves reunited above a large canyon on a force field with an artificial city at its bottom. After investigating it, they are welcomed by an alien race known as the Mercora, who had fled their own planet which was destroyed and intend on making Earth their new home. However, they are at war with the Nesk, and do not have the technology to help the Animorphs return to their own time. The Nesk, however, do—so the Animorphs storm the Nesk's camp in order to steal a warhead to recreate the explosion that sent them into the past; but not before Cassie loses herself in the T-Rex morph and kills a Dinosaur. This will later lead to her quitting the team in Animorphs #19, the very next book.>
<The Nesk angrily flee Earth, but divert the path of a nearby comet towards the planet. The Mercora respectfully ask the Animorphs to surrender their warhead, thinking they can use it to dissolve the comet, and Tobias agrees to let them have it. However, realizing that the Mercora must have died in the explosion as they are not a current part of Earth and that the comet will cause the Cretaceous–Paleogene extinction event, he tells Ax to render it useless. >
<The Animorphs escape back into the ocean, however not before Az and Tobias point out that they might not even WANT to survive this thing hitting, due to life on Earth being so hard to survive for the next few years, however they do everything they can to get far enough away and the force of the comet propels them back to their own time. They are unable to use their dinosaur morphs following this book.>
Last edited by Tobias_Marco on Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
True education, true science, true religion is the search for truth.
Matthew 28:16-20, John 3:14-20

gh astly
Djentle Djiant
Djentle Djiant
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Re: Megamorphs 2: In the time of Dinosaures

Post by gh astly » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:13 am

Oh, my. This book.
This is one of the few books where I don't think the concept could have been done well, and it seems to me that KA didn't even try. I know that she said after the first MM book that she would try not to have the plot jump from character to character, but this book gave me plot whiplash even worse than the first. It's pretty nonsensical as to how a nuclear warhead could explode and cause a Sairo Rip; if that was the case, thousands of Japanese people from the 1940's would be in the Cretaceous period. The characters are, for the most part, reduced to caricatures of themselves, the only exception being Ax. Jake takes about a million levels in dumbass in terms of how he leads the team, Tobias is completely worthless until the end because of his broken wing, which, by the way, should have fixed itself through morphing, and Cassie is more pissy and whiny than usual, and that's saying something.
I'm pretty hard-pressed to find anything about this book that I liked. Even the things that KA usually writes very well, like action and character-building, is handled horribly in this book. It's easily one of my least favorite books in the series.
Animorphs: The Abridged Series. Post there so I'm not lonely.

So just shut your face and take a seat, 'cause after all, we're just talking meat. And music?

Well, it's just entertainment, folks.

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle

Re: Megamorphs 2: In the time of Dinosaurs

Post by Tobias_Marco » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:43 am

<Tobias isn't COMPLETELY worthless, he is somehow the only one that knows anything about dinosaurs, and sure I can see Ax, and Cassie not knowing anything about them but some of the others should know something about them, even if not to the same level as Tobias.>
Last edited by Tobias_Marco on Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gh astly
Djentle Djiant
Djentle Djiant

Post by gh astly » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:48 am

Ah, yes. Forgot about Tobias knowing about dinosaurs (which raises questions of its own, really).

So just shut your face and take a seat, 'cause after all, we're just talking meat. And music?

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle

Post by Tobias_Marco » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:17 am

<Not for me it doesn't, he was neglected by his family, beat up at school, so he spent all his time reading books, and staring out windows daydreaming. I was a lot like that at his age.>
<That plus boys finding dinosaurs cool is accepted and encouraged in our culture.>
<Tobias didn't have any friends to hang out with so he read his books, played with his toys and watched a lot of TV.>
<Part of that was learning about T-Rex.>
Last edited by Tobias_Marco on Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gh astly
Djentle Djiant
Djentle Djiant

Post by gh astly » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:41 pm

Well, the questions that it opens up are:
1. How did he get books about dinosaurs? His aunts and uncles didn't care about him, so where did he get them? It's never implied at any point that he has a job.
2. From what I understand, most reading material that Tobias would have had at that point on dinosaurs would have been somewhat inaccurate.

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle

Post by Tobias_Marco » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:45 pm

<He can go to the library, and at least one of those Dinosaurs toys came with a booklet on Dinosaurs.>

gh astly
Djentle Djiant
Djentle Djiant

Post by gh astly » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:01 pm

Oh, yeah. I probably should have considered the library as an option.

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle

Post by Tobias_Marco » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:14 pm

<Yes you should have.>

<On page 192 to 193 I found another KASU, Andalites don't have thought-speech detectors, yet they have computers that can hear and speak in thought-speech? Isn't that like developing the VW Beetle before the wheel?>
<Turn to page 209 for the next one,, there is this large comet that is passing by the Earth, and 2 different kinds of aliens on Earth. The Animorphs help one of them to defeat the other one so they can get back home to their own time. The Nesk are really ticked that they can't have the planet so they decide that nobody can have it.>
I watched the night deepen. I watched the head of the comet. And then, I saw it: a stab of flame that shot from the side of the bright white comet head. Blue flame, at a right angle to the trajectory of the comet.
I felt my heart skip a beat.
The Mercora noticed it, too. From the streets outside there came a wailing siren.
<Did you notice what I noticed?>
<If the comet it passing by the Earth then a beam of energy at a right angle SHOULD send it toward the Earth. That's not the problem.>
<Still don't see it? Well in a way that is the problem. Tobias SHOULDN'T be able to see this beam of energy.>
<Think of it as playing pool, the Nesk ship is the cue stick, the comet is the white cue ball and the Mercora city is the ball you are trying to hit, and where you are viewing from. In order to knock the comet to hit the city I need to push it from the exact opposite side of the comet, meaning that unless my energy beam is larger than the comet itself, you shouldn't be able to see where I hit it.>
<If you want to slow it down and hit the front of the comet then I should be able to see the beam then, the whole path the beam travels to hit the comet. But the comet should be blocking Tobias' view of the beam in this case.>

Elfangor
The Chee
The Chee

Post by Elfangor » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:54 pm

Gonna make these global announcements so they are seen by everyone. Also, TM, can you flick me a message when you posts the threads, so I know to sticky?
You all have guns
And you never put the safety on
And you all have plans,
To take it

Don't Take It