Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Book 17: The Underground

Post by Tobias_Marco » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:26 am

<How do I sum up Animorphs #17 in the fewest words possible?>
<Oatmeal. Instant maple and ginger oatmeal.>
<From the cover morph we can also see that this is the book where Rachel turns into Batgirl!>
<The next thing worth noting is that after the first line "My name is Rachel." you can just skip EVERYTHING on the first 3 pages, skip ahead to the 4th line on the 4th page and read from there. The only thing you'll be missing is Rachel's 4th telling of what the Yeerks are and what we learned in the first and forth Animorph books.>
<Just save yourself the time and skip ahead.>
<We then see the Animorphs trying to talk Jake into letting them go to the opening of the new Planet Hollywood in their area, talking about all the celebrities who will be there, to and include Arnold Schwarzenegger, Bruce Willis, Lucy Lawless (Xena), and Shaquille O'Neal.>
<When Jake hears that Mr. O'Neal will be there he gives the go ahead to check out the opening of Planet Hollywood.>
<As they fly in bird morphs above Planet Hollywood Rachel freaks out a little more than she should overseeing the actress who plays Xena, showing us all once and for all that she does kind of dig it when Marco calls her that.>
<Shortly after that something catches Rachel's eagle eye, a man throws a chair out a window of the 60 story tall Kenny Building, and jumps to his death, however Rachel calls for help and the Animorphs make a highly improbable save. They get him to the water and Rachel has to morph into a dolphin to save him.>
<In order to do this Rachel flys under water as an eagle, morphs to human and then to dolphin without anyone seeing her.>
<Someone does see her in mid-morph and says "I think it was a dead body", Rachel hears this and hopes it's not a prophecy.>
<For those who have read ALL the books and know how many Animorphs die, who and when, you can talk among yourselves about this, however Rachel survives long enough to pull this guy out of the mud and have Arnold Schwarzenegger pull this drowning man off her and give him mouth-to-mouth resuscitation.>
<The next day Rachel is at the mall with the others and a whole bunch of newspapers (yes, those are a real thing, or at least they were when the books were first published), and is complaining that nobody noticed her efforts, Jake on the other hand is glad that nobody took interest in this amazing feat of bird and dolphin kind.>
<Cassie wonders what will happen to Mr. George Edelman, and Rachel is all "Who?". Cassie is surprised to learn that Rachel doesn't know that is the name of the man whose life she saved.>
<Still later Rachel's mom makes a joke about being famous because she is defending Mr. George Edelman, it seems his family wants to lock him up in the nut house for being crazy, it seems he says that he has an alien in his head, it's called a Yerks or a Yorks or something.>
<As you can imagine this catches the attention of Rachel who is fighting a race of Yeerks who take over people’s brains.>
"Nuts," I translated. "Wacko. Allegedly wacko."
"Don't say wacko," my mother said, looking pained. "Mentally unbalanced will do fine. His family want to have him institutionalized permanently."
"So what are you supposed to do?" I asked. "Prove he's not wacko? I mean, he is, right? He jumped off a building."
"Lawyer Barbie could save him," Sarah said.
"Actually, it's a little worse than that," my mom said, gathering Sarah up in her arms.
"Apparently this poor man claims he has an alien living in his head."
My heart beat three times real fast. Then stopped.
"He calls them Yerks or Yorks or something."
<The Animorphs sneak into the nut house and find out from Mr. George Edelman that some Yeerks have discovered a way to survive without the Kandrona: eating Instant Maple and Ginger Oatmeal. However, the oatmeal is extremely addictive to the Yeerk, who goes insane and never leaves the host body.>
<The Animorphs talk about how fair it is to use drugs and chemical warfare on Yeerks and decide to use this information to hurt the Yeerks by dumping oatmeal into the Yeerk Pool.>
<This means that they start buying up as much instant maple and ginger oatmeal as they can so they have something to dump into the pool.>
<They attempt to morph flies and follow a controller into the pool, by going to McDonalds and ordering "A Happy meal with extra happy." but find that the Yeerks have installed "Gleet Bio-Filters" on all Yeerk Pool entrances which destroy any unauthorized life forms that attempt to enter. They decide instead to morph moles and dig their way in.>
<On the way through their tunnel, they find a bat cave. They morph bats and fly into the Yeerk Pool, but are attacked by hunter robots. Ax, Jake and Tobias are captured, and Rachel falls into the pool. She morphs an ant, gets out, steals a Dracon beam, and disguises herself as a human-Controller.>
<After overhearing that there is a stash of the oatmeal near the pool confiscated from addicted human-controllers, she finds Cassie and Marco just as Visser Three arrives to receive the captured "Andalite bandits." Rachel throws a barrel full of oatmeal into the pool and threatens to burst it open with the Dracon Beam unless the others are released.>
<Visser Three is about to allow the Yeerks in the pool to be sacrificed in order to capture the "Andalite Bandits," so Rachel tosses him in as well. They begin to escape with the others, but as they are escaping the Visser begins morphing, so Marco shoots open the barrels of oatmeal. Rachel uses the Dracon beam to collapse the tunnel on them, and they dig to the surface as moles.>
<The book ends as Rachel's mom reports that George Edelman escaped from the asylum with the help of a psychic grizzly bear. Also the Animorphs have to eat all that instant maple and ginger oatmeal themselves.>

<I just noticed a KASU, in the above quote Rachel's sister is named 'Sarah', that is how my copy of the book spells it, however in most cases her name is spelled 'Sara' without the 'h', if you ever meet anyone, they are picky about how there name is spelled. People named Sara or Sarah tend to be picky about if the 'h' is there or not.>
<I know at least 3 females named Sarah.>
<On page 32 it says that it takes them to find a place to morph, this seems like a long time to me, like the truck should have been unloaded in that much time.>
Last edited by Tobias_Marco on Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
True education, true science, true religion is the search for truth.
Matthew 28:16-20, John 3:14-20

gh astly
Djentle Djiant
Djentle Djiant
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Re: Book 17: The Underground

Post by gh astly » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:54 pm

This book was just . . . weird.
The majority of the plot revolves around the Animorphs carrying the idiot ball, the concept of instant maple and ginger oatmeal being a drug for the Yeerks is just plain dumb (to put it lightly), and there's a really bad continuity error in which the oatmeal being dumped into the Yeerk pool is never even brought up again.
The thing is, this book could have been really good if some of those things were cleaned up, but instead, it was just kind of bleh for me. Sort of like Scholastic and KA were in a rush to put it out, and they didn't have the time to iron out some of the major flaws.
Animorphs: The Abridged Series. Post there so I'm not lonely.

So just shut your face and take a seat, 'cause after all, we're just talking meat. And music?

Well, it's just entertainment, folks.

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle

Post by Tobias_Marco » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:45 am

<Does anyone here know how many cultures have the "If you save a man's life" thing that they talk about on page 21?>
<On page 32 it took them a whole 20 minutes to find a place to morph? Really? You would think the people unloading the truck would be unloading it faster than that. The truck should be gone by then.>
<I also like the mistake Jake makes on page 73, I was thinking about this part some time ago and couldn't remember what book it was in.>
<For more on that see the "What book was it?" topic.>

<In this book we get to see one of the more over looked places in Animorphs, Tobias takes the Animorphs to a street corner located at the center of the Yeerk pool.>
<In The Arrival we visit this street corner again and we learn there is a McDonalds here where the manager is a known controler.>

EDIT:
<...and YES, I did go to McDonalds that week and order "a Happy Meal with extra happy." it was at least the third time I had done so in my life.>

astrael
Civilian
Favourite Animorph: Jake

Post by astrael » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:15 pm

whoa, slow down, please.

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle

Post by Tobias_Marco » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:03 pm

<Uh, alright.>
<Why do you want us to slow down?>
<You have a whole week to read and talk about the books, and you can go back at any time to the books we have already talked about.>
<Do you want us to talk about a new book every other week? We could probably do that.>

gh astly
Djentle Djiant
Djentle Djiant

Post by gh astly » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:53 pm

Wait, what did she want us to slow down? How often we posted the Book of the Week, or just the discussion?

So just shut your face and take a seat, 'cause after all, we're just talking meat. And music?

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle

Post by Tobias_Marco » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:14 pm

<I'm not sure. The post wasn't clear enough for me.>
<astrael, could you please tell us what you meant by that?>

astrael
Civilian
Favourite Animorph: Jake

Post by astrael » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:49 am

Oh, the Book of the Week posts.

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle

Post by Tobias_Marco » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:06 pm

<Do you mean that you would rather us do one book ever other week or something like that?>
<Maybe make it one book a month?>

gh astly
Djentle Djiant
Djentle Djiant

Post by gh astly » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:10 pm

I think one book a month would be a little too infrequent, but every other week might work.