Book 14: The Unknown

Come here to see the discussion threads for the Animorphs Book of the Week
Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Book 14: The Unknown

Post by Tobias_Marco » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:28 pm

<Those in charge of AFF have decided to let me have a go of hosting this weeks "Book of the Week" talk.>
<This week we are talking about book #14: The Unknown.>
<Just a reminder the 4 in the book number should tell you that this is a Cassie book. This one shows her morphing into a horse on the cover.>
"Never underestimate the power of a morph."

<The story of this book is Cassie and Rachel drive with Cassie's father, Walter, to the Dry Lands outside of town. 'Crazy Helen', a client of Walter's, has informed him of a sick horse stumbling about the plains. Helen rants on about Martians while Walter and the girls search for the horse in the dark. Rachel spots it trying to make a call at a pay phone. The horse then tries to escape, but is too weak to walk, and falls over. Cassie and Rachel notice a Yeerk falling out of the dying horse's ear. Cassie, getting a bad feeling, tells Rachel to run. A second later, they're knocked over by an explosion. Cassie wakes up in Crazy Helen's caravan, who insists 'it was the Martians!'. Cassie and Rachel decide she is half right - and assume that the Yeerks were trying to keep them away from the horse.

The other Animorphs are skeptical, though. Rachel and Cassie are frustrated, but Jake allows the group to go back to the site and investigate. Cassie, Rachel, Marco and Tobias travel in bird morph, and land in a rocky outcrop. They demorph back to Human, exsept Tobias who morphs into his human self, and they're promptly arrested by soldiers, and taken to the Air Force base - Zone Ninety-One. There, they meet Captain Torelli, the chief of base security, who is suspicious of the kid's lack of shoes. Cassie, Rachel and Marco, fearing being grounded, or charged with trespassing, give the captain fake names and phone numbers. Cassie forgets how many digets should be in a phone number and leaves out a digit. (It is worth noting that when the series was first dreamed up by KAA she made Jake have a younger brother who was later changed into Cassie, this seems more like something a little child would do.) The captain leaves, and the kids escape via cockroach morph. They escape outside, but Cassie is nearly crushed by a tank. Tobias picks her up, and airlifts the trio to safety.

Cassie decides on a new plan. They need horse morphs from the racetrack. They're nearly caught by the staff, and Cassie morphs Minneapolis Max - a champion stallion. The animal's jockey assumes Cassie is the real horse, causing Cassie to be caught up in a race, which she wins. (Of course Cassie wins, why wouldn't she?). The Animorphs are now ready to infiltrate Zone Ninety-One.

Back in the Dry Lands, the teens morph their respective horse morphs. They join the alleged Yeerk herd, and trot directly into the base. They hear the horse-Controllers speak Galard - the interstellar lingua franca. Ax translates for them, telling them that the Yeerks are planning to complete their mission tonight. The Yeerks promptly break into a run, and rush into a hangar. There, the Animorphs see what the government's been hiding. They know it's not human, but they don't know what it is. Neither do the Yeerks. The Yeerks are depressed and afraid, aware of the consequences for failure. They rendezvous with Visser Three, who decapitates the Yeerk 'responsible' for the failure. The Visser then orders his Hork-Bajir to eliminate the suspicious-looking horses standing close by. Cassie knocks over a Hork-Bajir, and the rest make a break for it. It is then that an embarrassed Ax tells them what the humans have been guarding: a disposable waste module from an Andalite Dome ship; an alien toilet. The disgusted Animorphs decide they've been wasting their time, and head home.

At home, Cassie berates herself for wasting her team's time, but then realizes the significance of the Andalite toilet; it's proof that sentient life exists beyond Earth, and that Visser Three needed humanity to know as little as possible in order for the invasion to continue to run smoothly. Cassie then remembers a pin-up board for 'Gondor Industries'; a dummy corporation employee's day out. Cassie takes the Animorphs to The Gardens amusement park. Cassie figures that Visser Three plans to kidnap captain Torelli and other Air Force staff at Zone Ninety-One. The Animorphs, chased by Captain Torelli, end up in the horror house, where the Hork-Bajir wait. The children morph, and a battle ensues. They wound the Hork-Bajir and rescue the captain from Visser Three. The Yeerks escape in their vessels, in front of totally oblivious humans at a night parade.>

<The first thing that strikes me is that this Yeerk infested horse tries to call home just before dieing, if it were me I would have called home the day before.>
<The second thing worth noticing is that after this they all have horse morphs. So if anyone ever asks you what Animorphs can morph horses, you can tell them, "All of the original six.">
<When they ask about your use of the phrase "original six" and ask if there were any other Animorphs you can just smile and laugh and say "If you want the answer to that question you need to read the books.">
True education, true science, true religion is the search for truth.
Matthew 28:16-20, John 3:14-20

gh astly
Djentle Djiant
Djentle Djiant
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Re: Book 14: The Unknown

Post by gh astly » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:27 pm

Ah, thank you! I didn't get a chance to post this yet. I'll take care of the next one.

This book was just . . . weird. It's one of my least favorite books in the series, and it's pretty obvious as to why if you read that plot summary. Visser Three took about eighteen levels in stupid, Cassie is just as worthless as ever, and just the concept of the Andalite toilet is stupid as hell.

Unfortunately, I'm kind of busy right now. I'll finish my rant later.
Animorphs: The Abridged Series. Post there so I'm not lonely.

So just shut your face and take a seat, 'cause after all, we're just talking meat. And music?

Well, it's just entertainment, folks.

Elfangor
The Chee
The Chee

Post by Elfangor » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:19 am

I personally found this book a bit of... A bit of a Cassie Book. Bitterly annoying, but it was quirky, which is a bonus.

Congratz you two. New hosts!
You all have guns
And you never put the safety on
And you all have plans,
To take it

Don't Take It

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle

Post by Tobias_Marco » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:52 am

<Cassie being the one to notice the flier for family day could have happened to any of them, however it happened to the Animorph who is on the cover, and that fit with most Animorph books. However Cassie being the youngest Animorph she wanted to go to family day anyway and that's why she was looking.>
<Those unfamiliar with the Cassie hate should look at the plot summaries of all the Jake books, then all the Rachel books, then all the Tobias books, then all the Cassie books, then all the Marco books, then all the Ax books, you will find that almost all of the Cassie books are filler.>
<Most of us would have been happier if the number of Cassie books and the number of Ax books had been switched.>

<As for taking turns hosting books, that does make sense, if one of us does the odd books and the other does the even books then we will each get to hols one book for each Animorph every ten books (with the exception of Ax and Tobias) meaning that whoever takes the odd books gets Tobias and whoever takes the even books gets Ax.>
<...so Tobias is part of my user name, yet you get to host the Tobias books? We might have to change it up a little latter.>

gh astly
Djentle Djiant
Djentle Djiant

Post by gh astly » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:10 am

That sounds fine. I'll post #15 next Monday.
All right, time to finish my rant on this. I'll post the summary for this from a review blog Logan tried doing a while back. Fortunately, we feel pretty much the same about this book.

WARNING: BLIZZARD OF F-BOMBS APPROACHING!
This book was a f*** mess. Obviously, the whole book was just a joke, literally, with the punchline being a toilet. Really, I wouldn't have a problem with this, except for the fact that book had no substance other than that, and even then, it really doesn't hold up. The main problem I had with the book was the pacing. There are a lot of examples, such as the aforementioned three chapters of acquire the horses, an entire chapter devoted to Cassie going to school in a new outfit, and possibly the worst example, spending no time on how Tobias has gotten accustomed to regaining his morphing powers. This was a big turning point for Tobias's character, and absolutely nothing was devoted to it! This is the main problem I have with the ordering of the books; every Tobias book is immediately followed by a Cassie book. Just when you think the series is going to get very serious, Cassie just has to come and f*** everything up. I guess the only possible redeeming quality this book has is its humor, and since humor is subjective, I don't feel right giving this a 1/10. In conclusion, f*** this book. f*** it hard.
I don't have too much to add to this, so I'll keep it short. The so-called comedy book in the series wasn't funny; the humor was horribly sophomoric and it didn't build to anything. The plot was incredibly basic, with much of it consisting of the Animorphs running around saying "duh, I wonder what we should do next." I really don't like this book.

So just shut your face and take a seat, 'cause after all, we're just talking meat. And music?

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle

Post by Tobias_Marco » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:16 pm

<I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you skipped every Cassie book except the first one and the last one you wouldn't miss anything, and you would like them so much better.>

gh astly
Djentle Djiant
Djentle Djiant

Post by gh astly » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:58 am

At least I'll get to host the two Cassie-narrated books that I actually liked.

Elfangor
The Chee
The Chee

Post by Elfangor » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:15 am

You're a brave man Guitar. By the way, have you guys worked out a sched?
You all have guns
And you never put the safety on
And you all have plans,
To take it

Don't Take It

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle

Post by Tobias_Marco » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:13 am

<We've talked about it and I think we have an idea. We talked about one of us doing all the even ones, and the other doing all the odd numbers, we also talked about what if one of us did all the Ax books, the other did all the Tobias books and split the other Animorphs between us.>
<I don't think we'll have any problems.>
<...however we haven't talked about the Megamorphs.>

gh astly
Djentle Djiant
Djentle Djiant

Post by gh astly » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:33 am

I just sent something to Uncle TM, I think we have it pretty much worked out.