Book 13: The Change

Come here to see the discussion threads for the Animorphs Book of the Week
Elfangor
The Chee
The Chee
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Book 13: The Change

Post by Elfangor » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:06 am

Well, it has been far to long! And so it is time for another book! This time we are doing The Change! Tobias is finally gonna get his powers back!

For those who don't have the time to read the book, here is a great guide to it.

You all have guns
And you never put the safety on
And you all have plans,
To take it

Don't Take It

capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Book 13: The Change

Post by capnnerefir » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:07 pm

This one was definitely one of my favorites. Tobias was always my favorite character and this book really let him get back into the thick of the action without taking away the thing that made him most unique.

I loved Jara and Ket and I thought that getting to know them was one of the most important things that happened in in this series. We were always told that Hork-Bajir were not the horrible, evil destroyers the Yeerks made them into and this book really demonstrated it. It makes you feel bad for all of the Hork-Bajir still trapped as Yeerk slaves. And it adds a level of complexity to the series because now you feel kind of bad every time they have to kill Hork-Bajir.

Its also one of those rare times when "divine intervention" works. Ellimist is present and involved, but it's very low-key. In the end, the Animorphs have to solve their own problems and I really like that.

gh astly
Djentle Djiant
Djentle Djiant
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Post by gh astly » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:56 am

I think I'm in the minority when I say I'm a fan of the Ellimist, and this was one of his best books. That being said, I don't think there's a single Tobias-narrated book I dislike, and this is no exception. Jara and Ket are great characters, and Visser Three comes off as a real threat this time, something he sometimes fails to do. It adds some depth to the so-far underdeveloped Hork-Bajir, and there's really nothing wrong that I can think of with this book.
Last edited by gh astly on Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Animorphs: The Abridged Series. Post there so I'm not lonely.

So just shut your face and take a seat, 'cause after all, we're just talking meat. And music?

Well, it's just entertainment, folks.

astrael
Civilian
Favourite Animorph: Jake

Post by astrael » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:13 pm

This book is one of the times I sense an oddity in Cassie. At the end of book, Ax and Rachel comes to check on Tobias but Cassie doesn't? She's
supposed to be the compassionate one.

BabelFish42
Admiral
Admiral
Favourite Animorph: Cassie

Post by BabelFish42 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:43 am

Definitely one of my favorites. I read the books out of order - first #9, and then #15. Having Tobias be morph-capable in #15 was SO much cooler than having him constantly stuck as a hawk in #9, that for a while I intentionally avoided the pre-#13 books b/c I didn't like Tobias being kept out of so much of the action.

I liked the twist - Tobias and the others were expecting the Ellimist would make him human again, but instead he just made him morph-capable. Kind of adds a little fuel to the whole "did he intentionally trap himself in morph" debate.

Like others have mentioned, Jet and Kara are great, and by introducing them, KAA makes Hork-Bajir Controllers much more sympathetic, thus adding an extra layer of moral complexity to the war. We also get to see a little more of the relationship developing between Rachel and Tobias, which was nice.
astrael wrote:This book is one of the times I sense an oddity in Cassie. At the end of book, Ax and Rachel comes to check on Tobias but Cassie doesn't? She's
supposed to be the compassionate one.
*shrug* I don't think that's too odd. Rachel and Ax were always the ones who were closest to Tobias.
Anifan on Reddit: "Do you realize you're one of the reasons why I write fiction in my free time?"
KA: "So sorry to get you into writing. What a horrible thing to inflict on you. Should have just sold you crack."

astrael
Civilian
Favourite Animorph: Jake

Post by astrael » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:41 am

I just wanted to mention: This is one of the few books in which Visser 3 uses the term 'Andaliet filth'

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle

Post by Tobias_Marco » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:07 am

<The Hork-Bajir are interesting from a writing stand point.>
<Lets say that you wanted to design the scariest, most nightmare inducing creature that you could. Most people given that task would start with the creature's looks, not their actions. However both are important.>
<A quick look at all the horror movie monsters (who aren't humans who have escaped from jail or the nut house), shows a lot of creatures that are covered in sharp claws or blades of some kind.>
<However first and foremost this is a story about the Yeerks taking over Humans who don't want to be enslaved, so it makes sense that most of the races they come across didn't want it ether, so how do you take a nightmare inducing character and make them likeable?>
<KAA started off on the same page that she first shows us these creatures by having Elfangor tell the Animorphs to pity them (I'm not going to re-check the book right now to see exactly what he said), he tells them that the Hork-Bajir are unwilling hosts and that they are a peaceful people. However we knew nothing about what an hostessed Hork-Bajir was like until this book came out.>
<They could have been the smartest beings in the universe, they could have spent all their time on a volcanic world writing poetry for all we knew.>
<However KAA had to come up with some kind of reason for why their bodies look the way they do, why does a peaceful life form need to be covered by blades from head to toe?>
<Once upon a time there was a TV show called "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" you may have seen it. In one of the latter seasons they introduced a demon who joined Buffy's team, the creators of that show decided to be funny and give her a phobia of the least harmful creature they could come up with. Halloween is coming up and she doesn't know what to dress up as, she is told to think of the scariest thing she can think of and dress as that.>

<She chooses a bunny rabbit.>

<Why are bunny rabbits so not scarey? Two reasons, first, they aren't very big. If I had to fight a man eating bunny rabbit (Monty Python anyone?) I outweigh the thing by somewhere between 150 to 250 pounds depending on how big a Human I happen to be. Reason number two why I will never wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat because of a bunny themed nightmare is because bunny rabbits are vegetarians, that means that they only eat plants. The only things that are going to die because of a bunny attack are a few blades of grass and some heads of lettuces.>

<With this kind of thing in mind KAA made the scariest looking creature she could come up with a vegetarian, because lets face it, almost no reasonable person is scared of a vegetarian.>
<In fact I would be willing to say that you can't think of even one vegetarian that I should be afraid of. (As I type this I remember one Human vegetarian that many people were afraid of once, however with Hitler being dead I have nothing to fear from him.)>

<Being afraid of an un-hosted Hork-Bajir is like being afraid of a sheep or a goat, well, maybe more like the goat, at least he has horns on his head that can do some damage.>
True education, true science, true religion is the search for truth.
Matthew 28:16-20, John 3:14-20

gh astly
Djentle Djiant
Djentle Djiant

Post by gh astly » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:45 pm

Tobias_Marco wrote:<Being afraid of an un-hosted Hork-Bajir is like being afraid of a sheep or a goat, well, maybe more like the goat, at least he has horns on his head that can do some damage.>
Un-hosted is the key word. Of course, with the Yeerks in their heads, they have malicious intent and threatening bodies to back it up. Even if a goat was angry, I still wouldn't be too afraid of it, since let's face it, even if it wanted to, I don't think a goat would do too much damage. A Hork-Bajir, however, could easily kill something if it wanted to, which is why KA decided to make them docile in nature. As Taylor said, it's all about the contrast.

The Hork-Bajir almost remind me of the Chee in a way, in how they knew nothing of violence. However, as the Hork-Bajir Chronicles later shows, they are capable of fighting, unlike the Chee, who are hardwired against it, which makes them that much more threatening.

Let's be honest, here. You run into a Hork-Bajir in real life that you know is not a Controller. My guess is that you would still feel at least a little intimidated by it, simply because of how it looks. It's the same reason that pitbulls were raised as guard dogs. They were bred that way because they look powerful and intimidating, and even if someone was told that it was the nicest dog in the world, he or she would still be afraid of it. Same concept here.

And now, as I look at this after typing it, I realize that I wasn't even trying to make any coherent point. What exactly was I trying to say here?
Animorphs: The Abridged Series. Post there so I'm not lonely.

So just shut your face and take a seat, 'cause after all, we're just talking meat. And music?

Well, it's just entertainment, folks.

BCentamore
Gedd

Post by BCentamore » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:46 pm

Marco was, by far, the coolest of the Animorphs, at least according to 10-year-old me all those years ago. Tobias was a very close second, however, and it was right around this point in the series ("The Change") that he began to be explored as more than just a niche character. He wasn't just a boy with no family and no chance at a normal human life anymore, but instead he was a force to be legitimately reckoned with. I stopped following the Animorphs right after the conclusion of the Hork-Bajir/Andalite war, so I have no idea if the series continued beyond that point, but I still have fond childhood memories of imagining how amazing a feeling it must be to fly the skies as a red-tailed hawk.

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle

Post by Tobias_Marco » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:14 pm

BCentamore wrote:Marco was, by far, the coolest of the Animorphs, at least according to 10-year-old me all those years ago. Tobias was a very close second, however, and it was right around this point in the series ("The Change") that he began to be explored as more than just a niche character. He wasn't just a boy with no family and no chance at a normal human life anymore, but instead he was a force to be legitimately reckoned with. I stopped following the Animorphs right after the conclusion of the Hork-Bajir/Andalite war, so I have no idea if the series continued beyond that point, but I still have fond childhood memories of imagining how amazing a feeling it must be to fly the skies as a red-tailed hawk.
<...and that is why I am called Tobias_Marco, because those are the two coolest Animorphs.>

<That isn't the full reason.>
<The real reason is that I felt like Tobias growing up and I wanted to be Marco, only that was before I ever heard about Animorphs.>
True education, true science, true religion is the search for truth.
Matthew 28:16-20, John 3:14-20