Book 11: The Forgotten

Come here to see the discussion threads for the Animorphs Book of the Week
Snoopy
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Animorph: Jake

Book 11: The Forgotten

Post by Snoopy » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:09 pm

Hey guys! Sorry it's been like a month since the last topic went up! What can I say... school and life have both been a bit crazy, which I guess is normal for college students. Anyway, here's the topic for The Forgotten. This happens to be one of my favorite Animorphs books, so I will make an extra effort to write up a post soon. Enjoy!

If you experience any problems, please do not hesitate to PM or email me.

moonie_knifey
Civilian

Re: Book 11: The Forgotten

Post by moonie_knifey » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:57 am

I think this is the first book actually dealing with Jake's leadership. And the first book with "being a leader is really hard" angst. It's overused so much in later books that it seems like it was a part of Jake's character from the very beginning, yet it appears only now. And it's pretty well done, unlike book 36, for example. Jake makes mistakes, but he doesn't look like an idiot because of them (again, unlike book 36). I really felt sorry for him, feeling the pressure of responsability and making rash decisions under that pressure... I hope for an in-depth analysis of Jake's leadership struggle from Menno :P

What struck me most, though, was a sentence that appeared right at the beginning of the book: "When people treat you like a leader, you start acting like a leader". It may be obvious, but it is still tragic. There was that Polish writer, Gombrowicz, who wrote at least one book about this phenomenon: we are never really just ourselves, because every person we meet make us put on a mask, a role, some form which is not really ours and which easily fossilizes and imprisons us. There are those overgrown forms that lose their meaning. Well, that last thing never really happens in Animorphs, but still, Jake is trapped inside his role of the leader and Rachel is trapped in her role of a bloodthirsty warrior because others treated them as such. I don't want to say that society is evil or anything like that, it's just one of the world's mechanics, which sometimes makes me sad.

On to nicer stuff: this is the next episode of "Earth is Awesome" series. I must say I liked the description of the jungle very much. Also, the next episode of "Ants are Deadly" series. You know, I was always told (in kindergarten, for example) that ants are those nice, hard-working creatures. And then come the Animorphs, revealing the terrible truth: ants are mindless monsters that will eat you alive.

Aaand it's also the first instance of the Sario Rip. And the first instance of helpful natives that believe in animal spirits. Animorphs are very lucky, always meeting that kind of people on their trips.

One last thing: I found rather funny the fact that Taxxons were described as fitting perfectly in the rainforest. Applegate probably didn't know then how close to the truth she was :)
I'm rubbish at explaining stuff. As a result, frustration eats my head.

BabelFish42
Admiral
Admiral
Favourite Animorph: Cassie

Post by BabelFish42 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:25 pm

moonie_knifey wrote:I think this is the first book actually dealing with Jake's leadership. And the first book with "being a leader is really hard" angst. It's overused so much in later books that it seems like it was a part of Jake's character from the very beginning, yet it appears only now. And it's pretty well done, unlike book 36, for example. Jake makes mistakes, but he doesn't look like an idiot because of them (again, unlike book 36). I really felt sorry for him, feeling the pressure of responsability and making rash decisions under that pressure... I hope for an in-depth analysis of Jake's leadership struggle from Menno :P
Same here. *looks hopefully at Menno*

Ugh, 36. Definitely not one of the better books in the series. Quite possibly Jake's most idiotic episode. But I agree, here his mistakes were much more logical and believable. I just felt bad for him, instead of wanting to shake him by the shoulders to hopefully knock some sense into him (which is how I felt when reading 36).
moonie_knifey wrote:What struck me most, though, was a sentence that appeared right at the beginning of the book: "When people treat you like a leader, you start acting like a leader". It may be obvious, but it is still tragic. There was that Polish writer, Gombrowicz, who wrote at least one book about this phenomenon: we are never really just ourselves, because every person we meet make us put on a mask, a role, some form which is not really ours and which easily fossilizes and imprisons us. There are those overgrown forms that lose their meaning. Well, that last thing never really happens in Animorphs, but still, Jake is trapped inside his role of the leader and Rachel is trapped in her role of a bloodthirsty warrior because others treated them as such. I don't want to say that society is evil or anything like that, it's just one of the world's mechanics, which sometimes makes me sad.
Doesn't that happen to all of them? They all seem to feel some kind of pressure to be what they think other people need them to be, or who other people see them as. Marco, the funny guy, always cracking jokes, even if he may not feel like it, even right after a bloody battle, because that's what people expect from him, that's his role. Cassie - "that's me, isn't it, the whining voice of morality?" The one who they all expect to be their moral compass, whatever that means, the one they depend on for reassurance that they're still 'the good guys.' Rachel, the warrior princess, hiding whatever fear she might feel beneath her tough, "let's do it!" exterior, being the brave one because that's who the others need her to be and expect her to be. Jake, like you mentioned, the fearless leader who almost never lets on just how terrified and overwhelmed he is most of time. Tobias - "I'm the handy reminder of what happens if you exceed the two hour time limit" ... I guess he's kind of the one they can all look at and say, well, my life kinda sucks right now, but at least I don't have it as bad as Tobias. And then Ax, the one who's so wrapped up in his sense of duty, trying to be what his parents and his people expect him to be, what he thinks they need him to be (a loyal Andalite warrior, the little brother who avenges Elfangor), yet also torn by a growing sense of loyalty toward his new prince and his adopted people.

It's a funny phenomenon. And it goes both ways too. You act the way people expect you act. And people also treat you the way you expect to be treated. The more you act like a leader (or fearless warrior or jokester or moral compass, etc), the more likely you are to be treated like one, and the more you're treated like one, the more you act like one. It becomes a cycle - either a vicious cycle or a virtuous cycle depending on what people see you as, and how you see yourself.
moonie_knifey wrote:On to nicer stuff: this is the next episode of "Earth is Awesome" series. I must say I liked the description of the jungle very much. Also, the next episode of "Ants are Deadly" series. You know, I was always told (in kindergarten, for example) that ants are those nice, hard-working creatures. And then come the Animorphs, revealing the terrible truth: ants are mindless monsters that will eat you alive.
Lol, too true. I never looked at ants the same way again. I'm not that fond of sharks either, and I think Animorphs is probably to blame. But hey, as a little kid, I was totally convinced that the rainforest was the coolest thing ever, so I guess that makes up for the shark-and-ant prejudices I got from this series.
moonie_knifey wrote:Aaand it's also the first instance of the Sario Rip. And the first instance of helpful natives that believe in animal spirits. Animorphs are very lucky, always meeting that kind of people on their trips.
Honestly, logic and reason say these kids should have died at least 50 times over the course of the series. They had a ridiculous amount of luck. Or, I don't know, maybe it was Ellimist interference or something.
moonie_knifey wrote:One last thing: I found rather funny the fact that Taxxons were described as fitting perfectly in the rainforest. Applegate probably didn't know then how close to the truth she was :)
You're referring to how later all the Taxxons become anaconda nothlits, right? If so, yeah, cool observation. I highly doubt she knew she was foreshadowing something here. (But wouldn't it be cool if she did?)
Anifan on Reddit: "Do you realize you're one of the reasons why I write fiction in my free time?"
KA: "So sorry to get you into writing. What a horrible thing to inflict on you. Should have just sold you crack."

moonie_knifey
Civilian

Post by moonie_knifey » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:56 am

BabelFish42 wrote: Doesn't that happen to all of them?
To some extent, yes, but I always felt it was much more visible with Jake and Rachel, because they have roles that are the most easily identifiable. Ax, for example, does have many obligations towards his people and towards his friends, AND towards his prince, but it is slightly different, as it doesn't really depend on his role in the group.
On a more general scale, though, you are obviously right.
BabelFish42 wrote: You're referring to how later all the Taxxons become anaconda nothlits, right?
Yes :)
BabelFish42 wrote:(But wouldn't it be cool if she did?)
Definitely.
I'm rubbish at explaining stuff. As a result, frustration eats my head.

BabelFish42
Admiral
Admiral
Favourite Animorph: Cassie

Post by BabelFish42 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:45 am

moonie_knifey wrote:
BabelFish42 wrote: Doesn't that happen to all of them?
To some extent, yes, but I always felt it was much more visible with Jake and Rachel, because they have roles that are the most easily identifiable. Ax, for example, does have many obligations towards his people and towards his friends, AND towards his prince, but it is slightly different, as it doesn't really depend on his role in the group.
True. And I think Jake and Rachel were also boxed into the most taxing roles. Fearless Leader and Bloodthirsty Warrior are roles that take a much bigger toll on a person than Comedian or Moral Compass.

You're right, Ax is different. I'd say Ax is the one who feels the least pressure (if he feels any at all) to be what the groups expects/needs him to be, but that's because for most of the series he feels a much bigger obligation to be what he thinks his people and family expect/need him to be.
Anifan on Reddit: "Do you realize you're one of the reasons why I write fiction in my free time?"
KA: "So sorry to get you into writing. What a horrible thing to inflict on you. Should have just sold you crack."

lady_summoner
Donator
Donator
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Post by lady_summoner » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:19 am

This book is really the first side adventure of the Animorphs and I think it was quite exciting. I especially like the introduction to the Sario Rio and the ending.

I think it’s good that Jake is the only one that remembers this adventure since I think the others would start doubting him as a leader if they did remember. Tobias and Ax seemed to show some doubt with some of his decisions in this book. The others may also have started having doubts since they all technically died.

gh astly
Djentle Djiant
Djentle Djiant
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Post by gh astly » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:57 am

Hm, wonder how I missed this topic.
I really agree with lady_summoner on this one. This was, to me, a good example of a fun sort-of filler book, not dissimilar to #24.
Animorphs: The Abridged Series. Post there so I'm not lonely.

So just shut your face and take a seat, 'cause after all, we're just talking meat. And music?

Well, it's just entertainment, folks.

gerbilinablender
Gedd
Favourite Animorph: Rachel

Post by gerbilinablender » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:25 pm

Started re-reading the series, it's been over 10 years... Anyways, had a random question at this book if anyone knew. In the Forgotten, Jake is the only one to remember the events during the Sario Rip? Supposedly after he was killed in the jungle his consciousness snapped back to the other Jake or whatever. Ax also mentioned that he was the only one who was actually there and the others were just memories. Why though? If they all went through the Sario Rip together, why was Jake the only one who wasn't just a memory? Why didn't the others have their consciousness snap back or whatever and remember as well? What made it different for Jake when he seemed to go through the Sario Rip with the others?

gh astly
Djentle Djiant
Djentle Djiant
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Post by gh astly » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:57 pm

The only explanation that I can think of is that Jake was narrating this book and needed a good excuse for that.
What, you wanted an in-universe, explanation? Sorry, you stumped me there.
Also, welcome to the forum, gerbil! It is OK that I call you gerbil, right? :P
Animorphs: The Abridged Series. Post there so I'm not lonely.

So just shut your face and take a seat, 'cause after all, we're just talking meat. And music?

Well, it's just entertainment, folks.

lady_summoner
Donator
Donator
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Post by lady_summoner » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:00 pm

Maybe the Ellimist did it? Sorry, that's the best explanation I can think of since that's my go to for any unexplained phenomenon in Animorphs.