Book 8: The Alien

Come here to see the discussion threads for the Animorphs Book of the Week
BabelFish42
Admiral
Admiral
Favourite Animorph: Cassie

Re: Book 8: The Alien

Post by BabelFish42 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:35 am

moonie_knifey wrote:I mean, why didn't they grab Alloran and run away with him? Why couldn't he morph a Kafit bird? Or better still, some monster acquired by Visser?
Because KAA wanted to keep her main villain around for 40 more books. That's the only explanation I can think. The Animorphs morph all the time when they're exhausted and/or near death, so I never understood why Alloran in this book and Elfangor in #1 mysteriously couldn't find the energy to morph.
moonie_knifey wrote:How were they going to find him? I've just imagined a group of Hork-Bajir splashing in the stream and going "ooh, i found him... oh no, i cut him accidentally in half! Wait, it's not him. What a pity".
:lol2: Seriously, though, how DID they find him? Without stepping on him, lol.
Last edited by BabelFish42 on Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anifan on Reddit: "Do you realize you're one of the reasons why I write fiction in my free time?"
KA: "So sorry to get you into writing. What a horrible thing to inflict on you. Should have just sold you crack."

Menno
Prince
Prince
Favourite Animorph: Rachel

Post by Menno » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:31 am

moonie_knifey wrote:The ending was kind of... stupid. I mean, why didn't they grab Alloran and run away with him? Why couldn't he morph a Kafit bird? Or better still, some monster acquired by Visser? Visser Three didn't morph either, he chose to escape into a stream in order to be eaten by some trout.
It makes sense that Visser Three didn't morph, since the Animorphs had him surrounded and he'd be vulnerable in mid-morph. As for why Alloran didn't morph, that is somewhat more suspicious. It very much reminds me of when Elfangor didn't morph in Book #1. The most likely explanation seems to be that they were too exhausted to morph, but of course there are many times when the Animorphs morph while exhausted. Perhaps there is a threshold of exhaustion where morphing is no longer possible, and Elfangor and Alloran were past that point. That's the best in-universe explanation I can think of. Jake did unconsciously demorph when poisoned as a roach, but it's mentioned in book 2 that demorphing is easier than morphing. Also, perhaps human willpower is generally stronger than Andalite willpower.

PKWonder
Aristh
Aristh
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Post by PKWonder » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:25 pm

Menno wrote:
moonie_knifey wrote: Also, perhaps human willpower is generally stronger than Andalite willpower.
On the same note, human logic often beats Andalite logic when it comes to some of the most obvious tactics, both in war and ethics.

Which book out of the first eight (+ Megamorphs 1) do you guys like the most? In some aspects, this is my favorite so far, because I love the first big taste of alien perspective we will become accustomed to later in the series.

Menno
Prince
Prince
Favourite Animorph: Rachel

Post by Menno » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:44 pm

PKWonder wrote:Which book out of the first eight (+ Megamorphs 1) do you guys like the most?
Either this one or #7.

BabelFish42
Admiral
Admiral
Favourite Animorph: Cassie

Post by BabelFish42 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:23 pm

moonie_knifey wrote: Also, perhaps human willpower is generally stronger than Andalite willpower.
Andalites also seem to be more into the idea of honorable death. Humans, or at least these 5 particular human teenagers, seem way more inclined to fight to stay alive than to just throw up their hands and resign themselves to a heroic death. Maybe that's part of the explanation for why Alloran and Elfangor didn't morph. Though in Alloran's case, he was facing reinfestation, not death, so... hmmm. Maybe Alloran was like one of those hosts who hasn't been in control of their own body for so long they're out of practice and not fully functional (like Chapman in #2)? Yeah, that makes sense, b/c Alloran would have to be sedated whenever he wasn't infested to prevent him from morphing.
PKWonder wrote:On the same note, human logic often beats Andalite logic when it comes to some of the most obvious tactics, both in war and ethics.
Well, sure, from a human perspective. :P
PKWonder wrote:Which book out of the first eight (+ Megamorphs 1) do you guys like the most? In some aspects, this is my favorite so far, because I love the first big taste of alien perspective we will become accustomed to later in the series.
Tough question. I'd probably say #7. Though I really like MM1, #4, #6, and #8 as well.

What's your favorite alien-perspective story, PK?
Anifan on Reddit: "Do you realize you're one of the reasons why I write fiction in my free time?"
KA: "So sorry to get you into writing. What a horrible thing to inflict on you. Should have just sold you crack."

astrael
Civilian
Favourite Animorph: Jake

Post by astrael » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:48 pm

moonie_knifey wrote:The ending was kind of... stupid. I mean, why didn't they grab Alloran and run away with him? Why couldn't he morph a Kafit bird? Or better still, some monster acquired by Visser? Visser Three didn't morph either, he chose to escape into a stream in order to be eaten by some trout. How were they going to find him? I've just imagined a group of Hork-Bajir splashing in the stream and going "ooh, i found him... oh no, i cut him accidentally in half! Wait, it's not him. What a pity". So unless they've got some tracking devices or superefficient hunter Taxxons, I can't really imagine how he survived.

But casting the temporary lack of logic aside, the book itself was pretty good. I think Ax is my second favourite character. I know he makes some poor decisions and he can be annoying, but I can understand his homesickness and the conflict with the Andalite law he feels. The bit with Andalites deciding to put the blame for Elfangor's deed on Ax was really good, too - it shows well how they are ready to cover their history with lies "because the people needs it".
Also, the book contains a good deal of Ax's funny silliness from before it got a bit stale. Very refreshing.
I think Alloran was to weak to morph. And there were bug fighters arriving, so carrying Alloran would have slowed the Anis down. I don't think they
could have gotten Alloran somewhere safe before the poison killed him anyway.
V3 seems to have a knack of surviving in streams-he does the same thing in the Hork-Bajir Chronicles. Perhaps Crayak helps him?

lady_summoner
Donator
Donator
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Post by lady_summoner » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:38 am

I always enjoy reading Ax's books because they are so hilarious. I have to stop to laugh for several minutes anytime he's eating or asks about something that is blatantly obvious to everyone else. In this book, I like how he thinks the other Animorphs put the "E.T. phone home" quote in his book.

Ax says he dislikes every form of human music. Considering the wide variety of music there is in the world, I think this is unlikely. I think it's just the 90s music that the other Animorphs would have exposed to him that he dislikes. After all, I can't imagine an Andalite rocking out to Nine Inch Nails.

Menno wrote: I always figured Andalites kept their tails in sort of an S shape with the blade flat against their backs when they wanted to keep them out of the way.
Yes, Ax does mention that he was running with his tail against his back in Megamorphs 1 so he could run faster.

gh astly
Djentle Djiant
Djentle Djiant

Post by gh astly » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:26 am

lady_summoner wrote:After all, I can't imagine an Andalite rocking out to Nine Inch Nails.
Oh, how wrong you are.
Animorphs: The Abridged Series. Post there so I'm not lonely.

So just shut your face and take a seat, 'cause after all, we're just talking meat. And music?

Well, it's just entertainment, folks.

lady_summoner
Donator
Donator
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Post by lady_summoner » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:56 am

guitarhero01234 wrote:
lady_summoner wrote:After all, I can't imagine an Andalite rocking out to Nine Inch Nails.
Oh, how wrong you are.
Nah, I think Andalites are more likely to do Broadway style musicals. Assuming they can sing. They can "sing" right? If not, then I could still seem them having an Andalite piano or other stringed instrument since they have all those fingers.

gh astly
Djentle Djiant
Djentle Djiant

Post by gh astly » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:55 am

Nah, I can see an Andalite liking industrial rock. Maybe even some Skinny Puppy. But Andalite piano playing would be an interesting thing to see.
Animorphs: The Abridged Series. Post there so I'm not lonely.

So just shut your face and take a seat, 'cause after all, we're just talking meat. And music?

Well, it's just entertainment, folks.