Book 7: The Stranger

Come here to see the discussion threads for the Animorphs Book of the Week
BabelFish42
Admiral
Admiral
Favourite Animorph: Cassie

Re: Book 7: The Stranger

Post by BabelFish42 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:23 pm

Menno wrote:I agree. I mean that Jake and Rachel are usually the ones who are better at thinking about concrete situations and making decisions quickly. Cassie and Tobias, conversely, are usually the ones tackling abstract questions and reading between the lines. I suppose Marco and Ax are both somewhere in between.
Okay, gotcha. And yeah, I agree.
Anifan on Reddit: "Do you realize you're one of the reasons why I write fiction in my free time?"
KA: "So sorry to get you into writing. What a horrible thing to inflict on you. Should have just sold you crack."

PKWonder
Aristh
Aristh
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Post by PKWonder » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:35 pm

BabelFish42 wrote:
Menno wrote:I agree. I mean that Jake and Rachel are usually the ones who are better at thinking about concrete situations and making decisions quickly. Cassie and Tobias, conversely, are usually the ones tackling abstract questions and reading between the lines. I suppose Marco and Ax are both somewhere in between.
Okay, gotcha. And yeah, I agree.

I third that.

Jake typically has more method to his madness, but both cousins are very concrete and action-oriented. Jake values a plan more and prefers to not take chances that will put the team at risk, while Rachel prefers to ask questions later and would rather just not risk acting too late.

astrael
Civilian
Favourite Animorph: Jake

Post by astrael » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:14 pm

About Cassie's dichotomy... I think it kind of reflects how she has such high ideals and yet abandons them when she needs to.
And about her thinking they could make a comeback.. well, I think she just wanted to get away from the fighting. She does that quite often.
Her sense of responsiblity seems to come from the belief that it's morally right to be responsible, instead of an actual sense of duty.

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Post by Tobias_Marco » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:55 am

<First of all this is the first Animorph book I ever read, so it holds a special place in my heart just for that reason.>

<Secondly I just read the reprint, and I was glad to see that Rachel got the lock fixed on her door.>
One minor recurring theme of this book I think is kind of interesting, is that Rachel says she does not like suspense, first on page 19, then on page 27. However, on p13 when Marco clearly has something important to tell everyone, Rachel seems to be enjoying the suspense.
<This can easily be explained away as having to do with her mood, sometimes you like things you normally hate and sometimes you hate things you normally love.>
Random Trivia:

On p13, Rachel mentions that Ax's back slopes down. I'm pretty sure this physical characteristic of Andalites is not mentioned anywhere else in the series.
On p85, Taxxon slime is green-blue. In book #2, on p165, it was greenish-yellow.
P91 is pretty much the first we hear of morphing being exhausting. It was mentioned in #4 that morphing takes energy, but it wasn't quite portrayed as exhausting.
<Looks like we have a KASU with the slime color, unless someone wants to try a "Boy slime is green-blue and girl slime is greenish-yellow" or maybe its a race thing? Taxxons from one part of the planet have one kind of slime and if they are from another part of the planet they have a different color slime?>
<Given those three choices the race thing has the least strength to it, I think the gender thing works {a little} better, but not by much. I would call this a KASU.>
Awesome analysis. On one hand, she wants to be tough and fearless, both for herself and for others. On the other hand, she wants a normal life where she doesn’t have to be Xena. I think she ends up choosing power over escape for two main reasons:
1) She’s an addict. This is the less flattering reason, but I think it’s true. Like Jake said once, the war is to her like booze to an alcoholic.
2) She’s selfless. She’s a protector. She knows everyone she cares about is depending on her to be brave and keep fighting. So she does, even though she knows that the war is slowly destroying her. This second reason is one of the many things that makes me love Rachel so much.
<This is right on for Rachel and I think it is one of the reasons why so many of us love her so much. She isn't out for the cheep thrills, this really means something.>
<I also like how she goes off on Marco because she isn't some TV show character.>
<Well alright, yes she is, but she wasn't at the time.>
Menno wrote:One somewhat unique thing about this book is that it's mostly Jake and Rachel who are reading between the lines and having insights. For instance, on p82 Jake logically deduces that the Ellimist probably can't tell the future. And Rachel is the one who figures out that the Ellimist showed them the Kandrona. Usually, Jake and Rachel are mostly action-oriented characters, and it's Tobias, Cassie, and Marco who are doing the heavy mental lifting. Still, in this book, Cassie was the first to realize that there must be some important subtext to the Ellimist showing them "the future".

Idk, Jake and Rachel are clearly pretty smart as well. Jake’s pretty good at understanding his team, and thinking clearly under pressure. Rachel does the best in school, so she’s clearly no bimbo. I think the Animorphs are all pretty sharp, but in different ways. Different intellectual strengths, just like they’ve got different personality strengths.
<We all have our different strengths and weaknesses. I think this makes the books more realistic.>
In any case, my guess is that #67 starts at about 4 months after they first learned of the Yeerk invasion.
<I'm not so sure, I think that book #67 starts about 5 years after they learn about the invasion. Probably even longer.>
<Oh, this is a typo! Why didn't you just say so!>
True education, true science, true religion is the search for truth.
Matthew 28:16-20, John 3:14-20

lady_summoner
Donator
Donator

Post by lady_summoner » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:02 pm

The dilemmas like the one in this book are why I love this series. The Animorphs are given an easy way out and they choose not to take it. Even when they do “accept” the offer, it’s because they think losing is inevitable and not because they want to stop fighting.

I find it interesting that Tobias becomes more outspoken after starting the war with the Yeerks. He won’t stand for something he sees as wrong like the Elllimist’s offer even though he wouldn’t stand up for himself in his normal life.

Visser 3 and future Rachel thought there would be 6 humans instead of 5 humans and an Andalite. I wonder who would have been the 6th human? It would have been cool if KA made an "Alternate Aniverse" book exploring this possibility.

I can see how when they are first covered with goo that the focus would have been with Ax, but you would think someone would notice the nearby goo pile morphing into a bear and realize that the form was not from an Andalite. Unless the human controllers don’t know some of the rules of morphing. So maybe they thought it was an Andalite in human morph that was changing into a bear.

gh astly
Djentle Djiant
Djentle Djiant

Post by gh astly » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:05 pm

lady_summoner wrote:I find it interesting that Tobias becomes more outspoken after starting the war with the Yeerks. He won’t stand for something he sees as wrong like the Elllimist’s offer even though he wouldn’t stand up for himself in his normal life.
That's something I never noticed before. Now that I think about it, I don't really know how.
lady_summoner wrote:Visser 3 and future Rachel thought there would be 6 humans instead of 5 humans and an Andalite. I wonder who would have been the 6th human? It would have been cool if KA made an "Alternate Aniverse" book exploring this possibility.
I think Melissa, judging from the events of MM4, but I think any answer you're going to get is just speculation.
Animorphs: The Abridged Series. Post there so I'm not lonely.

So just shut your face and take a seat, 'cause after all, we're just talking meat. And music?

Well, it's just entertainment, folks.

lady_summoner
Donator
Donator

Post by lady_summoner » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:44 pm

guitarhero01234 wrote:I think Melissa, judging from the events of MM4, but I think any answer you're going to get is just speculation.

I know it would be just speculation, but that's what makes it a fun idea for me. Melissa does seem like the obvious choice though. But what if it was like one of Rachel's sisters or even an adult? It's hard to imagine what the series would have been like with another person there from the beginning.

gh astly
Djentle Djiant
Djentle Djiant

Post by gh astly » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:47 pm

Or Tom. That would make for an awkward conversation at the construction site.
Tom wrote:Elfangor? The Andalite War-Prince? Oh, if Visser Three finds out about this. . . .
Elfangor wrote:<What?>
Tom wrote:Give me the morphing power!
I would come up with something funnier, but I am really tired right now.

So just shut your face and take a seat, 'cause after all, we're just talking meat. And music?

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle

Post by Tobias_Marco » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:41 pm

<In my personal head cannon Cassie is 3-5 years younger than everybody else, she was only at the mall because Rachel was being paid to baby sit her and didn't want to miss a sale at the mall.>
<We just don't hear about all the bags Rachel had with her.>
<In an alternative universe Melissa was also there.>
True education, true science, true religion is the search for truth.
Matthew 28:16-20, John 3:14-20

gh astly
Djentle Djiant
Djentle Djiant

Post by gh astly » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:43 pm

Really, that makes more sense than entire books in the series.
*cough* The Mutation *cough*