Book 1: The Invasion

Come here to see the discussion threads for the Animorphs Book of the Week
Brandonmack
Civilian
Favourite Animorph: Ax

Re: Book 1: The Invasion

Post by Brandonmack » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:41 am

kebrennan wrote: 2) He couldn't morph because he was in his normal body. We've seen the Anis morph out of a lot of terrible injuries--when they're morphing back to their human selves. I can't think of any time when Jake, Marco, Cassie, Rachel, or Ax had to morph because their normal body was horribly injured. Ax has been injured in battles, but not to the oh-my-god-where's-my-leg?!! extent that the others have. It's implied in #33 that non-sentient animals are better at handling pain than anything that's sentient, so maybe there's something about having a sentient brain that makes it harder to focus through the pain.
An interesting point - focusing through the pain would have been near impossible. I do get the impression that even morphing back to one's natural form is as much based on DNA as morphing from it - however there is the mention of a "vecol" in #40 who is without a tail blade - now if this was a result of combat, it would obviously indicate that injuries sustained in one's own natural body are permanent - however if such was a result of his genome, then this would not really mean anything.

So really, I guess, there is just no evidence to point either way. Also, the Ellimist seems very unlikely to be involved in this particular situation - as you said, I don't think he could get that involved.

I suppose the only answer that makes sense was that he simply could not concentrate sufficiently through the pain. Yet he was able to continue on for what I see as being likely close to 20 or 30 minutes and explain everything to some kids and lash out against visser 3, and even lived long enough to get eaten... I feel that energy and focus ought to have been more than sufficient. And even if he could not return to his own form as a result of the injuries, would it not have been preferable to him to live as a nothlit (in human form, perhaps? Then he could take his role as Tobias' father, as well), and help the Animorphs out, and teach them what they needed to know? In this situation, I think, tobias would have also avoided his nothlitism.

Of course, we know the reason he had to die - it was for the story, and really, no other way would have worked near as well. I guess, in the end, this just amounts to a major KASU.

Tim Bruening
Prince
Prince
Favourite Animorph: Cassie

Post by Tim Bruening » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:51 pm

Megamorths 2:
Spoiler:
Tobias is seriously injured in his normal body, so he morphs. He is surprised when he morphs back and is still injured, implieing that morphing and demorphing would normally fix an injuring to one's normal body.

Menno
Prince
Prince
Favourite Animorph: Rachel

Post by Menno » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:53 am

Seriously injured, yes, but not mortally.

Snoopy
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Animorph: Jake

Post by Snoopy » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:14 am

I think Elfangor’s death is probably, as you all have said, basically one big KASU. But then again, morphing technology is full of those. But my personal theory is that Elfangor was just tired. True, he probably could have gotten up the energy for one more morph. But I think he was tired on a deeper level. I think he probably felt like he had done his part, and was ready to pass the torch to someone else. We can detect this in their first interactions with Elfangor. He seems so certain that he’s going to die that it’s almost as if he wants to die. He’s tired, he’s given up. When he crash-landed on Earth, he had probably resigned himself to the fact that the Yeerks were going to kill him and take over the galaxy. He had probably already mentally and emotionally prepared himself for that, and the thought of trying one more desperate attempt to get away from the Yeerks probably seemed less appealing than just letting himself get killed. That’s my personal opinion anyway… could very well be wrong though. I guess we’ll never really know…

As you all have said, I like this book because we get to meet all the characters. Throughout most of the book, they remain fairly “normal” in that they haven’t fully accepted the idea that their lives are going to be spent fighting aliens. And in this first book we get a great introduction to them. Of course, Cassie makes my skin crawl (as usual), with her “HEY! We could use morphing to talk to animals and save endangered species!” garbage.

I think for me personally, the saddest part is seeing Jake and Rachel in this book. Those two have always been my favorites, and it’s just sad to see what good, decent, self-sacrificing people they are in the first book, knowing what ends up happening to them later on. Especially Rachel. She goes from being the sort of person who is there for others even in the darkest and worst times to being a crazed bloodthirsty lunatic by the end. I guess that’s one of the things that makes this series to believable and enjoyable though: the way things don’t turn out rosy for everyone.

Of course, being the first book, there are a ton of KASUs. Although, given that she had no idea that this would evolve into the series that it did, I guess we can give her some slack. And I still have to say… man, I’d forgotten just how much I love these books. Sure, they’re technically for kids ages 9-12, (and boy, KAA’s grammar matches the grade level!), but that doesn’t stop them from being really great books.

If you experience any problems, please do not hesitate to PM or email me.

Menno
Prince
Prince

Post by Menno » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:21 pm

smelborp wrote:I had another thought as well about Elfangor's short scene in this book.
Spoiler:
I haven't read the whole series in a few years but I believe the Ellimist had some play with Elfangor to get him back into the game. And I believe this took place after the Andalite chronicles so even though Elfangor and Visser Three have a past, after the Ellimist put Elfangor back into battle he may have erased the time line where Elfangor and Visser Three met previously. Of course that would eliminate the whole andalite chronicles, and would have to have some explaining done on how Visser Three came to be this time around, but it could explain the dialog that makes it seem as though Visser Three is meeting Elfangor for the first time.
In Andalite Chronicles, I recall that Elfangor and Esplin still knew each other after the Ellimist put Elfangor back in action.
Brandonmack wrote:I do get the impression that even morphing back to one's natural form is as much based on DNA as morphing from it - however there is the mention of a "vecol" in #40 who is without a tail blade - now if this was a result of combat, it would obviously indicate that injuries sustained in one's own natural body are permanent - however if such was a result of his genome, then this would not really mean anything.
#40: Mertil was allergic to the morphing technology.

After reading the whole series, I was kinda surprised by this on p80. It goes to show the extent of Rachel's development:
Book #1 wrote:Rachel said. "This is too big for us. We're just kids. We need to find someone important to tell this to. Someone we can trust."
However, on p136, I thought she may have been considering fighting the old security guard instead of running away.

I think that Tobias getting trapped as a hawk was accidentally-on-purpose. In this book, there is a little foreshadowing that it will happen, like on p89, and also what with him already morphed when they get to the school/Yeerk pool. I mean, it would at least make sense to do a quick demorph/remorph in the bushes before going in. I think part of him wanted to be trapped, but he didn't WANT to want to be trapped. So, he didn't plan for it to happen, but maybe a subconscious part of him just chose to ignore details that could have helped prevent it.

When Tobias says he's happy with just his hawk morph, Rachel says that's a mistake and they should acquire as many useful morphs as they can. The Animorphs really should have taken this to its logical conclusion--for example, why would just Marco acquire the gorilla instead of all of them? How come only Rachel acquired the elephant if Cassie and Tobias were also there? It makes sense that they'd each specialize in a few morphs, but still, they severely limit their options with the needlessly low number of morphs that they each acquire. This is one of the things in the series that slightly annoys me.

QUESTION: On p129, Cassie says she still feels normal, and she looks troubled. Why would she be troubled? I'm not always the best at understanding the subtler points of characters.

I was thinking about their mission in this book to attack the Yeerk pool. Jake wants to save Tom, but what does he intend to do after he frees him? It's not like the Yeerks would just say "Oh well, I guess we'll just have to let that host go." It seems like no one thought, If we succeed, then what? Furthermore, it totally blew their secrecy--sure, the Yeerks think they're Andalites, but now the Yeerks know that they actually exist, and they will have their guard up. It would have been way more beneficial to gather more information through surveillance and espionage, so they could get a better idea of what they were up against, and then try to free hosts with some sort of plan that could actually be viable in the long run. It seems like exactly the kind of poor planning to be expected from a bunch of 13-year-olds who are suddenly in the middle of a secret war against aliens. But, due to totally unforeseen circumstances, the attack turned out to be the best course of action: If they had stayed out, they wouldn't have discovered that Cassie had been captured, she would have been infested, and that probably would have been the end of the Animorphs. So remember that Cassie isn't the only one whose bad decisions sometimes have wonderful results.

I wonder if Visser Three's choice of morph in the Yeerk pool was a blunder. For one thing, he was too big to chase them up the stairs, so the first answer that comes to mind is yes. But then again, perhaps he thought that disadvantage would be outweighed by the morph's ability to cover so much area with fire, given the fact that so many hosts were out of the cages and running. Only one escaped, so maybe that was indeed the case.

Some random trivia I noticed:
  • On p15, Elfangor says of the Yeerks, <They have come to destroy you.> It definitely has dramatic effect--but that's not really what the Yeerks intend to do.
  • Elfangor doesn't reveal his name. The Animorphs know his name because Visser Three says it.
  • In one or two later books, Jake says the only reason he's the leader is because long ago, Marco said he was. But in this book, we see that it was actually Tobias who first called Jake the leader (p59).
  • Marco begins his role as the unofficial (bad) driver of the Animorphs, when they use the golf cart to escape Gardens security.
  • This is the only book that mentions Jean's occupation (p148).

kebrennan
Aristh
Aristh

Post by kebrennan » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:11 pm

Menno wrote:
After reading the whole series, I was kinda surprised by this on p80. It goes to show the extent of Rachel's development:
Book #1 wrote:Rachel said. "This is too big for us. We're just kids. We need to find someone important to tell this to. Someone we can trust."
However, on p136, I thought she may have been considering fighting the old security guard instead of running away.
People tend to react differently in an aderenaline-charged situation than they would in calm discussion. Rachel's eventual problem is that she gets addicted to the adrenaline and starts to lose the calm-decision-making aspect of herself.
QUESTION: On p129, Cassie says she still feels normal, and she looks troubled. Why would she be troubled? I'm not always the best at understanding the subtler points of characters.
Any number of things could be going on with Cassie. Her world has seriously changed in the past few days and the Animorphs are just starting to get back to something resembling normalcy. Going to the mall or the zoo is probably pretty jarring when you've spent most of your waking hours thinking about alien bodysnatchers. It could just be a reminder that, as a normal 13-year-old, she is completely out of her depth. (Marco, of course, already realizes this, but Marco is smarter than the average bear.) Another possibility is that she's bothered by the whole idea of the zoo mission. She's not comfortable with violence, she's not so sure about using animals to accomplish it. Maybe that would explain why she doesn't get any new morphs at the zoo. Overall, I think she's just taking a moment to quietly freak out.
I wonder if Visser Three's choice of morph in the Yeerk pool was a blunder. For one thing, he was too big to chase them up the stairs, so the first answer that comes to mind is yes. But then again, perhaps he thought that disadvantage would be outweighed by the morph's ability to cover so much area with fire, given the fact that so many hosts were out of the cages and running. Only one escaped, so maybe that was indeed the case.
I saw this as classic Visser Three: going for the big, scary, shock-and-awe approach, but overlooking that one little detail that lets Our Heroes escape. It's an important moment for the kids, even if it was a defeat, because it taught them that they can go up against him and survive. Just as important, they realize that he's made a mistake and get used to the idea of being able to exploit his blunders. It's the last time they face him in morph until the ocean chase in #4, and the experience helps keep them from panicking when Ax panics.
Some random trivia I noticed:
  • On p15, Elfangor says of the Yeerks, <They have come to destroy you.> It definitely has dramatic effect--but that's not really what the Yeerks intend to do.
Strictly speaking, yeah, under the Yeerk master plan most humans would survive. But, their plan involves abolishing free will, eliminating self-governance at *every* level, and wiping out as many aspects of human culture as they can get their feelers on. Maybe "they have come to destroy your civilization" is more accurate, but it's not as catchy.

Menno
Prince
Prince

Post by Menno » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:50 pm

A bit more random trivia:
This is the only book in the series where the morph-picture on the cover doesn't have 5 stages; it has 8, and seems to be rendered in an entirely different style than all the others.
So, you know how all the books have a page at the end which tells a paragraph or so about the next book in the series. Well in my copy of #1, that page isn't about #2. It's about #3. Are all the copies of #1 like this?

Brandonmack
Civilian
Favourite Animorph: Ax

Post by Brandonmack » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:43 pm

Menno wrote:A bit more random trivia:
This is the only book in the series where the morph-picture on the cover doesn't have 5 stages; it has 8, and seems to be rendered in an entirely different style than all the others.
So, you know how all the books have a page at the end which tells a paragraph or so about the next book in the series. Well in my copy of #1, that page isn't about #2. It's about #3. Are all the copies of #1 like this?
Both things I hadn't noticed, but now that you mention it..! Mine is the same way, with #3 in the back. I wonder why that is. As far as the cover, they probabl just hired someone to do one cover to see how the book would do.

Diana moon goddess
War-Prince
War-Prince
Favourite Animorph: Tobias
Location: somewhere on a planet called earth with lots of freshwater, mountains, trees and constant rain

Post by Diana moon goddess » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:16 am

i was struck by the special connection between Tobias and Elfangor. it's just D'aww so sweet. i notice that in the beginning few books Tobias and Cassie are really quite the mystical, the deep ones in the Animorphs. how does Tobias just realize the truth and see straight to the crux of the situation before anyone else does? I don't know if anyone notices but it seems as if Tobias gets less and less imbued with mystical mind as the book progresses. not only is Tobias the last to leave Elfangor, it also seems as if Tobias is the only one written to have touched the Andalite, besides just possibly brushing his hand as they touched the morphing cube.

i like how "Tobias was actually grinning, but that's Tobias for you. He's never scared of weird stuff. It's
the normal stuff he can't stand." Tobias - the scion! lols.

i was a bit perturbed by how "Cassie plowed into the panicky crowd. Moments later a black-maned head
appeared above the shoulders of the crowd. Cassie had become a horse and was racing for the
stairs." moments seems a bit too fast for morphing, especially since they are brand new and we know from the last book, i think, that they had significantly increased their speed of morphing from a few minutes, which hardly seems like moments. i don't know maybe i'm being too picky with the word choice.

it must be awkward having Tobias, naked on your bed. or any random classmate. as if things were weird enough for the animorphs.

i don't know what my deal is, so many times when i write on this forum my English comes out jumbled.

Menno
Prince
Prince

Post by Menno » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:22 am

Diana moon goddess wrote:how does Tobias just realize the truth and see straight to the crux of the situation before anyone else does?
I think it's because he doesn't really have anything to lose. The others have family that they care about, and friends or whatever, so they're less willing to believe that they are in serious danger.