Book 1: The Invasion

Come here to see the discussion threads for the Animorphs Book of the Week
Aximili_Esgarrouth
Gedd
Favourite Animorph: Ax

Re: Book 1: The Invasion

Post by Aximili_Esgarrouth » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:33 pm

<Love this book. Not as much as the ones I'm in, of course, but it's pretty great.>

<obviously, and most notably, it's the book that sets the stage for the entire series.>
"These human eyes are very similar to our main eyes. But humans seem fascinated by my stalk eyes. One of the humans, Marco, has said they “creep him out big time.” I believe this is a compliment."

Pasd3299
Gedd
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Post by Pasd3299 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:23 pm

I think my favorite part of the first book is when jake turns into his dog

The_Brigadier
Captain
Captain
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Post by The_Brigadier » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:29 pm

moonie_knifey wrote:The portrayal of Andalites (or more precisely, Elfangor) differs so much from their image in later books... He is noble and beautiful, and graceful, and understanding, and he brings all those wonderful warm feelings, I'm wondering if Elfangor used some telepathic hypnosis on them to make them trust him?
It's also rather sad... At first they believe that Andalites will save the Earth, but later all those sweet delusions will have to die.
Resulting in Jake's tragic speech to Elfangor in 41.
That isn't surprising. since Elfangor did live amongst humans for a time. He therefore viewed the humans differently than other Andalites. Elfangor had seen humanity's many faces while he lived on Earth, not just our primative ways. Besides, Elfangor was finally seeing his son after so long, he finally had a chance to meet Tobias. Why wouldn't he excude 'all those wonderful warm feelings'?

But most important to remember is that Elfangor saw hope. He saw what would destroy the Yeerk Empire.
Last edited by The_Brigadier on Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
♫When playin' Jazz you always has a welcome mat, cuz everybody digs a swingin' kat!♫

moonie_knifey
Civilian

Post by moonie_knifey » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:03 am

Yeah, I guess you are right. Although he excudes WWF (wonderful warm feelings) before he knows he's met Tobias. But still, the Andalite Chronicles do explain his behaviour. Not his influence on the kids, though, at least not totally. I like what kebrennen said, that it's to some extent a KASU because the author hadn't yet decided the range of Andalites' telepathic abilities.
I'm rubbish at explaining stuff. As a result, frustration eats my head.

smelborp
Donator
Donator

Post by smelborp » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:36 am

The one thing that bugs me is that Elfangor could have done more than just give them the power to morph. He could have given them their first awesome morph... Andalite. Elfangor was one Andalite Warrior, what better tool to fight the yeerks then 5 Andalite Warriors. Also it would be much easier to keep their secret from the yeerks if they could run around as Andalites to conceal there identities. Maybe Elfangor didn't trust all the kids with his own DNA but he could have at least givin it to Tobias. Tobias even stayed longer to learn more he could have been shot a dose of Elfangor DNA so he could carry on the fight in Elfangors likeness. But alas he did not or if he did Tobias never figured that out before he became a nothlit.

kebrennan
Aristh
Aristh

Post by kebrennan » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:48 am

smelborp wrote:The one thing that bugs me is that Elfangor could have done more than just give them the power to morph. He could have given them their first awesome morph... Andalite. Elfangor was one Andalite Warrior, what better tool to fight the yeerks then 5 Andalite Warriors. Also it would be much easier to keep their secret from the yeerks if they could run around as Andalites to conceal there identities.
This would have tricked your Average Joe Hork-Bajir, but sooner or later they would have run into Visser Three and he would have gone, <Hmm, not only is Elfangor not dead, but suddenly there are five of him. Something strange is going on here.> And if he had any brains left at all, he would start to wonder why the "Andalite bandits" were all morphing Elfangor when presumably they had tail blades of their very own that they could have used.

smelborp
Donator
Donator

Post by smelborp » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:34 am

Yeah I guess your right but I still think it couldn't have hurt. I had another thought as well about Elfangor's short scene in this book.
Spoiler:
I haven't read the whole series in a few years but I believe the Ellimist had some play with Elfangor to get him back into the game. And I believe this took place after the Andalite chronicles so even though Elfangor and Visser Three have a past, after the Ellimist put Elfangor back into battle he may have erased the time line where Elfangor and Visser Three met previously. Of course that would eliminate the whole andalite chronicles, and would have to have some explaining done on how Visser Three came to be this time around, but it could explain the dialog that makes it seem as though Visser Three is meeting Elfangor for the first time.

Brandonmack
Civilian
Favourite Animorph: Ax

Post by Brandonmack » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:59 pm

Here's the thing I wonder - morphing is based on dna - so basically, it heals you when you morph. Now, I know he was seriously wounded and all, but Elfangor should very well have been able to morph and then demorph in order to heal himself - it's still totally based on dna! Am I wrong?

Of course, as I mentioned, he was fatally wounded, he had very little energy, and it takes energy to morph. However, the Animorphs have been far more wounded, and gotten out of it okay by morphing...

sharpie
Gedd

Post by sharpie » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:03 am

Bookworm wrote:I have a interesting thought.... Did Tobias trap himself as a hawk on purpose? He probably didn't, but he is happier as a hawk. And also, Tobias was hardly sad about becoming a nothlit. What do you think?
I like the idea that he did originally, just because it fits with the whole "deconstruction" theme of the series. You can probably imagine a kids' TV show with a similar premise but without the tough choices and consequences, as a fun superhero action show kind of thing, right? Animorphs is basically about asking "what if that actually happened? X would be awesome, but Y would really suck." So I see Tobias here as representing a common fantasy: he's unhappy, his life sucks, he's a daydreamer, and freedom is a big theme for him. He wishes he could fly away, and then he gets to try flying, and it's the coolest thing in the world (as several characters describe it).

It obviously wasn't an uninfluenced choice--he was probably terrified, and had no idea whether he would get out alive--but I do think he had a fantasy in mind and the reality came as a shock, because the things that upset him so much in #3 don't bother him at all later on. He wasn't prepared for it at all, and there were consequences he didn't expect. That's also how his character develops: he's introduced as a daydreamer, but by the middle of the series, he's good at seeing the hard reality, because he's been living it.

On the other hand, even though he has a tendency to get mad at himself, he never berates himself for getting stuck in the first place. That could mean that he felt like he had no choice, or that even at his worst he thinks it's an improvement, which is a depressing thought. #3 is probably the point when he's most upset, and he does have positive things to say about it in that book, but that's getting off the subject of this thread.

kebrennan
Aristh
Aristh

Post by kebrennan » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:42 am

Brandonmack wrote:Here's the thing I wonder - morphing is based on dna - so basically, it heals you when you morph. Now, I know he was seriously wounded and all, but Elfangor should very well have been able to morph and then demorph in order to heal himself - it's still totally based on dna! Am I wrong?

Of course, as I mentioned, he was fatally wounded, he had very little energy, and it takes energy to morph. However, the Animorphs have been far more wounded, and gotten out of it okay by morphing...
That bugs me too. I have two kind of handwavey ideas for why he couldn't:

1) The Ellimist was meddling so that he would be desperate enough to create the Animorphs and inspire them to fight. I don't like this theory because, although we know the Ellimist had a hand in making the Animorphs possible, this seems like a step too far as it reduces Elfangor to a pawn without the ability to make his own choices.

2) He couldn't morph because he was in his normal body. We've seen the Anis morph out of a lot of terrible injuries--when they're morphing back to their human selves. I can't think of any time when Jake, Marco, Cassie, Rachel, or Ax had to morph because their normal body was horribly injured. Ax has been injured in battles, but not to the oh-my-god-where's-my-leg?!! extent that the others have. It's implied in #33 that non-sentient animals are better at handling pain than anything that's sentient, so maybe there's something about having a sentient brain that makes it harder to focus through the pain.