Book 32: The Separation

Come here to see the discussion threads for the Animorphs Book of the Week
Ramona
Commander
Commander

Re: Book 32: The Separation

Post by Ramona » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:32 am

dallon wrote: No one wants sugar-water or lemon-water, but lemonade is fantastic!
Literally was drinking lemon water when reading the above line.

I'm sort of 50/50 with this book. On one hand, it gave me the lovely visual of Rachel using her own severed arm as a weapon. Although, I'm still disappointed that we didn't actually see that scene. On the other hand, reading it made me feel like Rachel's character was simplified.

I didn't think about it/see it the way you did it. Interesting observation and seems more fitting to Applegate's writing than what I originally thought of this book. Maybe I should give it another read through with your points in mind.
Look at me. I am your own nightmare....Okay, I'm not, I'm just some random on the internet that couldn't think of a witty line. Humour me?

fingon
Gedd
Favourite Animorph: Ax

Post by fingon » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:03 pm

I liked reading the book. It was especially interesting to me to think about how deeply the ability to morph has changed the Animorphs, as is evidenced by the split in Rachel's personality after the starfish is split. I also had some fun speculating about what would have happened if there had been more than two pieces of the starfish.

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Post by Tobias_Marco » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:02 pm

<What if Marco had been split?>
<On here is one for you, what if Cassie had been split?>
True education, true science, true religion is the search for truth.
Matthew 28:16-20, John 3:14-20

inspectorjavert
Civilian
Favourite Animorph: Rachel

Post by inspectorjavert » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:11 pm

Cassie would likely have had the super stary eyed idealist half and a crushed but still fighting warrior other half.

Frankly after reading the review of it on the Opinionated Animorphs Guide I think they missed a lot of opportunities. Mean Rachel should have been called something else, she should have had a *kill everything* attitude more along the lines of a very aggressive, hyper competitive attitude. In that review the reviewer jokes that the version KA Rejected had Mean Rachel seducing and sleeping with character left and right, but if you were to take that and PG it up it would actually be a good characterization. Have her become a bit more possessive over Tobias, and be aggressively affectionate, for instance wanting to kiss him in full view of the public.

Since of of the themes of the series is a loss of childhood innocence I think Nice Rachel would be more prone to idealistic thinking she'd essentially be Rachel before she became an Animorph. She wouldn't go full Valley Girl like she did in the book but she would likely have a "it'll all work out because it should" attitude. She'd still have enough sense not to call her dad and try to spill the beans on everything. Frankly its kind of hard to think of how Nice Rachel would be so I appreciate the difficulty KA and the original ghost writer had characterizing her.

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Post by Tobias_Marco » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:27 am

<What if they had all morphed starfish, and got split, and now you have two teams?>
True education, true science, true religion is the search for truth.
Matthew 28:16-20, John 3:14-20