Animorphs #59: The Revival (a.k.a. RACHEL LIVES!!)

All non-original works should be posted here
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
User avatar
capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 6981
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 8:40 am
Gender: [Male][/Male]
Favourite Animorph: Tobias
Location: The rabbit hole. That thing goes deep, man.

Re: Animorphs #59: The Revival (a.k.a. RACHEL LIVES!!)

Post by capnnerefir » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:29 pm

das1234 wrote:Sooooooooooooooooooooooo

i have read every last paragraph of the series and on-the-go continued with your fanfiction. And i have sort of a mixed thought. first, its written extremely good. this could just continue the series without problems. the book-feel with the introductions is great, and the characters are well written, overall everything is.
Thanks. It's always nice to hear from someone new.
'das1234 wrote:my problem is more that all these coincidences referencing past books are just too much. i dont want to spoil for readers, and you might have read your own ff ;) so you know what i mean. again dont get me wrong, its great and feels also kinda right when you look at the series. but its too much - every chatacter is obscurely linked together by pure randomness, like the french guy thing - forgot his name - was just unrealistic.
True, they are linked by pure randomness. But is it truly randomness? Or is there a higher power (say the Ellimist, Crayak, the One, or Azmaveth) at work (I'll give you a hint:
Spoiler:
yes
)? The connections are a bit unrealistic, but so are most of the ones in the original series. Marco just happens to be the son if V1's host body? And his father just happens to be one of the humans who discovers z-space? A little too coincidental to be normal. Jake's brother is a Controller; fine. But why is he the Controller, the one
Spoiler:
who betrays V3/1 and ultimately causes Rachel's death?
. Cassie =subtemoprarly grounded. And she just happens to have access to a bunch of animals. Very coincidental. Tobias:
Spoiler:
Elfangor's son;
'nuff said. And of all the random Andalites who could have ended up on Earth, it just happens to be Ax: Elfangor's brother and an incredible soldier.
It's like the Drode said at the end of mm4: the deck was stacked. So I stacked it too. That was why I decided that
Spoiler:
Santorelli should be Tobias' step-father
and Jeanne should have some relation to someone else in the series. if I were playing by the normal rules of probability (which I normally do) I would have never done anything like that. However, they don't exist only in the realm of probability.
Spoiler:
There is a higher power (no, I won't say who, although you can probably guess) in place.
In fact,
Spoiler:
if you think this about Crayak and The One, you're sorely mistaken. This is about so much more than that.
Sorry about the excessive use of spoilers, but I need some way to respond to you (and hopefully restore some of your enjoyment in spite of the admittedly unrealistic connections) without giving things away to those who really want to be surprised.
das1234 wrote:i thought it lacked a bit on the farewells but i couldnt write that out good either. might have come from that it was just too many too fast.
What can I say? I'm not good with farewells. I mean, what do you say to people in this kind of situation? Even for me, I think it's hard to imagine. Although I think I got the Jake farewells down pretty good in 58.
das1234 wrote:overall a great fic, i hope you go for #100 and if you havent already i can advise you to take that fic to fanfiction.net for a wider audience. i have the feel that you dont get enough views here for this monstrous amount of work you did. thank you, eagerly awaiting #60
I'm actually working on going to fanfiction.net, but I'm having technical difficulties. I can get the fic uploaded, but I can't figure out how to put it anywhere on the site. :evil:

As for #60, it'll be here very soon. Perhaps later today... In the mean time, enjoy the Archaic.

P.S. Anyone who likes my writing is encouraged to check out the preview to the novel I'm trying to publish, Rebirth of the Saint

User avatar
das1234
Warrior
Warrior
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:19 am
Gender: [Male][/Male]
Favourite Animorph: Tobias
Location: Believe me, you don't want to know

Re: Animorphs #59: The Revival (a.k.a. RACHEL LIVES!!)

Post by das1234 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:13 pm

lol sorry dude if it seems like i dislike your fic, i enjoy it very much and actually look upon it more as real continuation instead of a fanwritten story. i see what you wanted to do with jeanne and i also think that yes, she should be connected but i guess i have to stress again how awkward this situation was to me as reader.
Spoiler:
i actually had to laugh out loud when rachel just pops out at her house (ok so far) then the frenchie comes and then suddenly he says "i was a controller". Ok thats a turn of events. then: "i have a daughter" and you cant suspect it because you think the story would go towards some regret infusing the french with his yeerk stuff. but turns out that the girl that just was chosen to be in the team is now related to one of the cast through a stepfather (that are like 3 inks working together for this one) AND an assassin (which alone would have been enough for a complete backstory), for V1 no less, AND attacked elfangor ( i already assumed that she was the one who damaged his ship so he crashlanded on the yard but that would have been over the top)
INHALE
holy s*** im making this sound like some troll bashing

some intersection: Tom
Spoiler:
i guess its because the animorphs always killed everything around and only tom was left standing^^ also he had the edge on jake later because he knew jake was weak against him
Cassie:
Spoiler:
this grounded thing sucked ass. i really cant believe that they put that in because then the whole time matrix thing is just impossible (guessing that it is a state and not an ability that she can trigger in which case it would just suck even more)
btw i have nothing better to do.

please understand that its kinda hard for me to gang up on the author and seem like i just want to bash away when its just some minor things that concern me. last one for today: the letters. i mean okay you did another one of those
Spoiler:
the santorelli part was, once again, really okay and could even have been intended from the author if she would have continued writing. Then again the letter was kinda weird, not itself but the fact that tobias remembered it 5 like mins after the crash. i know, ellimist and all, but arent they supposed to stay out of the world instead of infusing new memories constantly? well, on i go. second letter was really really weird because who would have put it there? would elfangor have known the exact same brick? but the last letter did it^^ it was great to read and the feeling was alright but why would it be there? she cant write. even if she is still conscous she belongs to the death-being and not crayak thus i think making her unable to communicate with the world (it would be weird even for crayak to let her put that letter there). i thought the letter elfangor left at the freaking lawyer was trouble but its quite much meddling you let crayak and the ellimist do^^(actually i have no clue who manipulates this whole thing but im sure ill find out soon enough)


i want to stress that i can actually discuss with you and not just read that and wonder, which is awesome. well dont take it too seriously i love this story,hope you havent pumped out all the surprises yet^^
take care
Image
This isn't drooling, n00b! It's art!

User avatar
capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 6981
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 8:40 am
Gender: [Male][/Male]
Favourite Animorph: Tobias
Location: The rabbit hole. That thing goes deep, man.

Re: Animorphs #59: The Revival (a.k.a. RACHEL LIVES!!)

Post by capnnerefir » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:03 pm

Trust me, das, I'm enjoying this. I was actually wondering if my fics were a little too weird. I understand that the Jeanne thing was pretty awkward for you as a reader. I was even considering stripping it out, but I decided to leave it in anyway; kind of like how KAA decided to hurl the gang to Leera in book 18. I think she wanted to see how far she could go and so did I. In the future, I'll try to keep it a little more believable.

As for the assassin thing, that was originally her only backstory. Her connection to the group would have been through Eva and Marco. But then, I realized that it was highly unlikely (I know, I'm pretty hypocritical with probability) that she would ever meet Eva unless I contrived such circumstances (which I eventually did, but not any time soon).

Honestly, her relation to Rachel was something I just kind of...tossed in there. I didn't think much about it. It was kind of like, "Okay how should I end this chapter? Oh, here's an idea. Naomi got remarried! Ha ha!" And then, I thought, "How could this get stranger? I know, I'll make him foreign!" And once I had a foreigner in mind, I decided to go with a Frechman (I figured a former Controller was a good idea and there were Yeerks in France, so I could have made him an important person there). And once he was French, well...the rest just sort of fell into place.

As for Jeanne having attacked Elfangor, I just thought people might like him mentioned. I know that I always love any story involving Elfangor, and I thought it was believable. But for the record, Jeanne wasn't the one who caused Elfangor to crashland on Earth. You'll actually get to meet that character in 60 (and he's a little improbable, too, I'll admit and I apologize in advance for it. I wanted to make kind of a super-hero for the Yeerks and ended up with this guy. You know what? Tell me what you thought after you meet him. I believe I already gave his name in the preview.).

Your point on Tom is well taken. However, my point still stands. It could easily have been Chapman in his place; in fact, that made more sense and I always thought that was how things were going to end.

As for the letters, (and I apologize because I guess I didn't explain this at all) they were written and collected after the crash; during that period of non-time between when Santorelli "died" and when he was brought back in time to serve as Tobias's step-father (incidentally, you don't have to use spoilers when referring to my previous fics; I'm pretty sure that anyone reading this has read those others by now; otherwise, why would they be at the end of this one?). Elfangor and Rachel both wrote the letters after their deaths. True, they belong to the death-being (Azmaveth is his name), but he isn't like Crayak, Ellimist, and The One. He isn't bound by their rules. Trust me, he has his own stake in this war; he's got his own plans. The reason he allowed them to give Santorelli the letters will be explained (but not any time soon, I fear, as Azmaveth's goal is a MAJOR plot element).

You're certainly right about one thing. Elimst and Crayak aren't the ones manipulating everything. They've still got power (as you'll see in upcoming fics) but, comparatively speaking, it isn't like it used to be. They're much less restricted, since the game has been postponed. However, there are still the "rules of engagement" or "Geneva convention" if you will, of the war between Crayak and The One. I do allow them more leeway now (which is part of the reason things get pretty weird sometimes), but it is important to remember that they aren't necessarily the most powerful beings out there. Remember: Crayak was ousted by The One. There are other, even greater forces at work now. I won't say what they are yet (although you can certainly guess one element) but believe me that everything will be revealed in time.
das1234 wrote:i want to stress that i can actually discuss with you and not just read that and wonder, which is awesome. well dont take it too seriously i love this story,hope you havent pumped out all the surprises yet^^
take care
I'm happy to discuss anything with you. It makes me proud of my fics to know that you care enough to point out my weirdness. You wouldn't be telling me these things if you didn't care.
And don't worry, there are plenty of surprises to come.

Hey, here's a fun game: guess which Animorph will be the next to fall! I've already taken out Santorelli and Jake (and quite frankly, I'm amazed there was no massive outcry against the latter); who will be the next to feel the killing blade of capnnerefir?

truest
Civilian
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:28 pm
Gender: [Male][/Male]
Favourite Animorph: Jake

Re: Animorphs #59: The Revival (a.k.a. RACHEL LIVES!!)

Post by truest » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:29 pm

capnnerefir wrote:
truest wrote:Writing some excellent stuff, I've just printed these out so i can read them all easier (#57-59)
I don't want to insult your intelligence (especially in light of the great reviews) but you have read #s 55 and 56 as well, right? I only ask because you specified 57-59.
Yes I have, it's just those that I printed out to read.
capnnerefir wrote:
truest wrote:You have honestly renewed my interest in Animorphs...
Wow, I didn't know I was that good (I suspected it, but...) It's great to hear something like that. Thanks. And don't worry, #60 will be up soon.
Lol nice to see that you are very grounded. No it's just that I haven't heard anything Animorphs related till I discovered this site, begun reading your fanfic, and it just renewed my interest.

User avatar
capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 6981
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 8:40 am
Gender: [Male][/Male]
Favourite Animorph: Tobias
Location: The rabbit hole. That thing goes deep, man.

Re: Animorphs #59: The Revival (a.k.a. RACHEL LIVES!!)

Post by capnnerefir » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:46 pm

Glad to be of service.

User avatar
capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 6981
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 8:40 am
Gender: [Male][/Male]
Favourite Animorph: Tobias
Location: The rabbit hole. That thing goes deep, man.

Re: Animorphs #59: The Revival (a.k.a. RACHEL LIVES!!)

Post by capnnerefir » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:34 pm

John3Sobieski wrote:1) Based on the new relationship between Rachel and Tobias, do you plan on throwing a baby into the equation sometime later in the series?
Spoiler:
Just wait and see...
John3Sobieski wrote:2) Wouldn't they try to avoid the overt blow-em-away approach and morph Taxxons, tunnel to the bottom level, blow away the wall with some explosives, secure the room, let Alloran do his thing, and then get out?
:oops: I didn't think of that plan (which I really should have). But it may be safe to assume that, in addition to all their other defenses, they have a way of detecting underground movement as well. Although had I thought of that, I probably would have used that plan. Oh well; wasn't this way much more interesting? And besides, it's fun to rain down death from the Reliquary
John3Sobieski wrote:3) I would like to know what happened to Elfangor and Estrid. Although it's probably safe to assume they escaped with the rest of them. I would have thought that the Animorphs might have tried to recruit them too.
The thing about recruiting them is that the Animorphs don't work well with more than 6. Plust, being a Princess and Aristh, Estrid and Elfangor couldn't just disappear to Earth; the Andalites would demand to know what was going on. Al (as it's explained in a later book, but I'll do it now) was transfered to Tobias's command, and Tobias was made a Prince.
John3Sobieski wrote:4) A thought just occured to me. Marco is a filthy rich and paranoid guy. A guy like that will often own a lot of weapons and know how to use them. Marco should have an armory, bomb rang, and firing range in his house along with the many other vanities.
I'll be sure to mention that if it ever comes up.
John3Sobieski wrote:5) They often run into human security forces. I would think that a few of them would have guns, instead of everybody having shredders.
The reason for this is that, thus far, they have been encountering special forces (like the guards at Tri-I and the Death Valley complex). Normal people still use human weapons, but those in the government (especially those working in conjunction with Andalites) carry Shredders (Santorelli and Jeanne, for example, are special agents, so they carry Shredders).
John3Sobieski wrote:6) In Santorelli's book, it was said that the Howler could probably blow the Yeerk out of Ax's head. If so, why would it not blow the Yeerks out of the Kelbrid heads?
That was really just a bit of an exaggeration on Santorelli's part to convey how powerful the Howler's howl was. In reality, blowing a Yeerk out of someone's head would undoubtedly kill them.
John3Sobieski wrote:7) It was kind of a let down, not having Tobias demonstrate the power of the Reliquary against the Blade Ship. I hope that encounter happens in the series.
Don't worry, that'll happen. Several times.

User avatar
capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 6981
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 8:40 am
Gender: [Male][/Male]
Favourite Animorph: Tobias
Location: The rabbit hole. That thing goes deep, man.

Re: Animorphs #59: The Revival (a.k.a. RACHEL LIVES!!)

Post by capnnerefir » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:52 pm

Here is what I understand to be the principles of the howl.

It is a physical assault. It does physical harm to the brain itself (as evidenced by the fact that it causes Ax to bleed from the ears in 26).

The howl is more damaging based on the development of the brain (as evidenced by how much more it affected the Andalite brain than the animal ones).

Because of these first two points, it is reasonable to conclude that a Kelbrid (with a physically strong brain [everything about a Kelbrid is physically strong] that is little more than that of an animal) would not be greatly effected by the howl.

The Yeerk would be similarly effected. It is deep within the Kelbrid's brain, which helps to shield it from the effects of the howl. Neither party would be greatly effected.

In addition to all of the above, the Kelbrid are special designed to resist the Howl (the Kelbrid being the troops of the One and the Howlers being those of Crayak). Also, there is an almost symbiotic relationship between the Kelbrid and the Yeerk (from their days associating with the Yoort). The Kelbrid protects the Yeerks.

All of this adds up to the howl being not very effective against them. It will stun them for a moment if it's done close to them, but it wouldn't do more than buy a second or two.

User avatar
Elfangor
The Chee
The Chee
Posts: 14550
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:42 am
Gender: [Male][/Male]
Favourite Animorph: Tobias
Location: New Zealand

Re: Animorphs #59: The Revival (a.k.a. RACHEL LIVES!!)

Post by Elfangor » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:53 am

Very Very good i have enjoyed this very much :D
BTW THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!
You all have guns
And you never put the safety on
And you all have plans,
To take it



Don't Take It

User avatar
capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 6981
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 8:40 am
Gender: [Male][/Male]
Favourite Animorph: Tobias
Location: The rabbit hole. That thing goes deep, man.

Re: Animorphs #59: The Revival (a.k.a. RACHEL LIVES!!)

Post by capnnerefir » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:10 pm

Thank you, Elfangor. I liked it, too.

User avatar
Elfangor
The Chee
The Chee
Posts: 14550
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:42 am
Gender: [Male][/Male]
Favourite Animorph: Tobias
Location: New Zealand

Re: Animorphs #59: The Revival (a.k.a. RACHEL LIVES!!)

Post by Elfangor » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:39 pm

capnnerefir wrote:Thank you, Elfangor. I liked it, too.
Lol if you didnt like it would that make you a good writer?
You all have guns
And you never put the safety on
And you all have plans,
To take it



Don't Take It