The Drode Chronicles

All non-original works should be posted here
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Re: The Drode Chronicles

Post by capnnerefir » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:11 pm

Well, typically, I don't team up with others. However, I don't want to seem arrogant and aloof. I'll ask you to read a few of my fics (the Archaic isn't really a good one, but I'm fond of 55 and 58 (56 was kind of *meh* in my opinion, just standard, and 57, although I liked it, was probably a little too weird for most audiences)) and then ask me again.

In the meantime, I'll PM you with my own plan for the Drode and see what you think. I think you'll like it.

capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator

Post by capnnerefir » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:58 pm

Chapter 5

I had long ago stopped feeling the usual rush of a gamer. I was used to this game now. I had worked at it until I became the best. I’m a perfectionist that way. I want everything to be the best it can be; that which is not the best should be destroyed and forgotten.
Now that I was the best, I was somewhat bored with the game. No one could beat me at anything. Things always ended like this for me. I got too good and my fun was spoiled. But there was a solution for that. I just needed to find a new, bigger game. Like a real life search for the Crayak.
I was momentarily surprised at the game. I didn’t appear in the mountains like I should have. Instead, I was in a green, open field. Not far away was another Ai. One I recognized. And one who recognized me. “Drode!”
“Marigold,” I answered. Marigold was the game name of the Ska daughter. I always called her by that name even when we weren’t playing; her real name was impossible to pronounce with Ai mouthparts. “Just the person I needed to see.”
We were in a section of land that I knew pretty well. In the real world, the Ska country home was here. There was a cave behind me with a nice lake in it.
“What about?”
“Your father made some survival equipment for the government recently. He might still be doing it. Where is it going?” I asked.
She shook her head. In the game, she was a red-skinned Ai like many others. In real life, she had very little in common with an Ai body. “I don’t know. I don’t ask him about that sort of thing.”
“Then I will. You’re at your country home?” I almost stumbled over that question. I didn’t have one home; to me, it was almost unbelievable that someone would need two.
“Yeah, we’re there. Do you have any way of getting here?” Marigold knew I didn’t. But to say that would hurt what she thought of as my pride. I had given up pride long ago; you couldn’t eat pride.
“No.”
“Then I’ll come and get you. My father just gave me my own zay. Of course, it’s got no kal-cannon, but it’s still faster than walking.”
“Two people can’t fit in a zay,” I pointed out.
“This isn’t exactly a zay, but that’s the best way I can describe it. We’ll both fit; it’s built for passengers.”
“Didn’t know anyone did custom jobs.” I was making small talk now. I hate small talk. I consider it a failure of conversation. When you make small talk, you’ve run out of important things to say.
Marigold had a sleight smile on her face. “What is it?” I asked her.
“I was just remembering how much you hate small talk.”
“So you’re just enjoying torturing me,” I finished. I knew there was something I liked about her.
“I—” She cut off when five zay appeared above us. They had either just joined the game or they had acquired cloaking devices. I had one but rarely used it.
Stealth took some of the fun out of an attack. I enjoyed the look on someone’s face when I appeared out of nowhere and started attacking. I also liked the look they gave me as they slowly realized that they couldn’t beat me. I was unstoppable, a force of nature. I loved it.
These five landed. The pilots got out. I recognized Saberwing immediately. With him were four new players. They were large, for Ai. Their arms actually had some notable muscle. “Drode,” Saberwing greeted me.
“Saberwing. What a surprise. I love surprises.”
“I mentioned that my brother was with the military? Well, now he’s with me. So are some of his friends. They don’t take too kindly to what you did to me.”
I saw something I could exploit. “Oh? Do they take kindly to you telling me about government projects and Crayak search teams?”
The largest of the Ai, a blue one, turned to Saberwing. “You told him about the search team?”
“I wasn’t thinking. I’m sorry. But then he killed me and my friends. And he shorted out our zay so we couldn’t spawn back where we started.”
“Trying to take all the credit for himself,” the soldier concluded. He wasn’t too wrong. They advanced on me. Saberwing held back. It was just me and the four soldiers. Marigold was nowhere to be seen.
I hefted my ayn spear; I was never without it. But this wasn’t a fight I was likely to win. These were four armed, trained, angry soldiers.
But anger clouded judgment and I could use that. I started backing into the cave behind me. Then, I decided it was a good idea to taunt the soldier. “You’ve had military training. So you should know you can’t beat me. I have all the advantages.”
“Advantages? You’re outnumbered four to one. We’re professionals and you’re an amateur.”
“All of which means very little. I know the terrain. I’ve thought this through. I have a plan. You? You’re just dumb muscle, fit for sacrifice at the first sign of trouble. But then, that’s life in the army.”
I was close now. Already, I could feel the water of the lake around my ankles. I needed to get them all in the water first. “But, of course, professional soldiers must be more than a match for a gamer like me.”
They followed me into the water. I couldn’t believe how stupid they were. Oh well. It wasn’t the strongest who survived, it was the smartest, the one who thought hardest.
I grabbed a stalactite hanging above me with one hand. I wasn’t strong enough to hold myself up for long. It would have to be long enough.
I shoved my spear into the lake. You know, of course, that water conducts electricity. Very well. Well, the lake water conducted the electricity of my spear directly into the four soldiers. For one moment, I could see their bones beneath their flesh. Then…they were gone.
I dropped back into the water. Both arms were tired. But I had done a good night’s work. I had a ride to the Ska home tomorrow. I had defeated, nay embarrassed, four soldiers. I had added another statistic to my profile. It was a good night. A good night indeed.

capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator

Post by capnnerefir » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:35 pm

Chapter 6

Marigold was at her house by noon of the next day. She waved hello to me but I didn’t bother to wave back. I didn’t bandy formalities like a politician. I was the kind of guy who went straight to the point.
She was right, the ship could fit both of us. It looked like any other Ai ship, just longer. I climbed in behind her and prepared for the flight.
It always surprised me when I saw one of the Ska. The best word to describe them is long. They have long faces, long necks, long limbs. And yet, they have an unusually small torso. Her whole body was covered in lush, golden fur.
She looked nothing like an Ai. She didn’t have the deep wrinkles a beautiful woman had. Her arms had only one joint. Her hands had only four fingers. By all Ai standards, she was hideous.
So why did the ship suddenly seem so small?
We flew to the country estate in silence. She knew how I felt about small talk. She also knew better than to ask me what was going on. I tended to be involved in some…unsavory dealings…and the less she knew the better.
We landed at her country home, which looked exactly like her home in the city, but with less buildings around it. That was something I didn’t quite like about Aian: everything was the same. Monotony leads to suicide.
Her father was still in his workshop. Marigold led me to him. The workshop was a small pod branching off of the larger one that was their home. “Father, Drode is here.”
There was a pause. Then, “Who?”
“Imaeus,” I answered.
Another pause. “Oh, right, right. My daughter mentioned that you might show up. Please, wait out there. I’ll be with you in a moment.”
He came out of the workshop looking like a taller, black-furred Marigold. I didn’t really have a name for him. Since I couldn’t pronounce his name, I just avoided the issue altogether. “What is it?” he asked.
“You made some survival equipment for the government recently,” I said as though it was a confirmed fact.
“Did I? Oh, yes, yes I did.”
“Where’s it going?”
“Nowhere yet. It’s still in the shop.”
“It’s not finished?”
“Who said that? It’s perfect. I just haven’t delivered it yet. Why do you want to know?” He was getting suspicious. I was used to his mood swings and he knew me well enough to know this wasn’t casual.
“Because there’s going to be a mission to find the Crayak. I want in on it. I’m going to find the ones responsible and talk my way in.”
He laughed. “Or you could, you know, just ask me. You know, Imaeus, I’m going on this mission.”
“I didn’t know, actually.”
“Not so smart as you think you are, then, are you? Of course I’m going. If this equipment, which I have never had the chance to test, malfunctions, who’s going to be there to fix it? Me, that’s who!”
He leaned towards me and almost whispered. “So, you want in on this little escapade, eh? I can arrange that. I’ll need someone along who I can trust. None of the Ai will really tell me about this Crayak thing.”
I raised the flesh above one eye. He only smiled. “Not to say that I trust you, Imaeus. But I know you. I know what you want and I know that you won’t turn on me.”
“So I get what I want? What do you get out of this?” I asked him.
“Do you want to know a secret, Imaeus? I hate this place. I. Hate. It. I want off. But I can’t fix my ship to leave. Maybe, just maybe, this Crayak will give me what I need. But I know all about the types who join these expeditions.”
I nodded. “Politicians. Criminals. Conmen. Desperate people looking for a way to get ahead. They’d never let you get your hands on the Crayak.”
“Which is why I need you. If I have you, I don’t need them. I have the survival equipment. With you, I have all the local Ai knowledge about the Crayak. That’s all I need.”
I nodded. He played the part of the fool, but I knew better. He acted forgetful, but I knew he never forgot anything. He pretended that he was just a harmless eccentric; I knew that he was as calculating as me.
I made one of the biggest mistakes of my life right then. I forgot my number one rule. Never trust anyone who reminds you of you.
I shook his outstretched hand. “Count me in.”
For millions of years, I have regretted those words.

freded21
War-Prince
War-Prince
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Post by freded21 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:16 pm

are you going to finish it
I <3 the Animorphs

I just had a AFF moment. My friends and I were talking about people who use others and I say:
"yeah it's like when someone only makes 5 posts then leaves and never comes back."
No one knew what I was talking about...

capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator

Post by capnnerefir » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:22 pm

Yeah, I will; I kind of have to, since I told John the entire story already. But I'm kind of busy right now, especially with my neomorphs fics and the new RPG. After I write book 68, Neomorphs is going to go on hiatus while I finish off the Archaic and (if not finish) do some work on the Drode Chron. There are some side projects I've been wanting to do, too.

One time, at 4 a.m., I found myself writing an Animorphs - HP crossover (since the only thing that could make the HP universe interesting is the intervention of the Animorphs) but I dropped that one. I might pick it back up just for the chance to write the Animorphs going off on tyrades about how the characters in HP haven't dealt with anywhere near the amount of s*** they've waded through. But that's not even on the backburner right now.

BeyondtheEllimist
Warrior
Warrior
Favourite Animorph: Rachel

Post by BeyondtheEllimist » Mon May 11, 2009 4:31 pm

I like how it's going so far. Keep up the good work! I like the way the Drode regrets his decisions.
There is much that is beyond the Ellimist . . . he just won't admit it.
Check out my fanfic series, Novamorphs. It has the Animorphs' children fighting a second Yeerk invasion. First book: The Infestation.Second book: The Search.

ferewolf
Civilian

Post by ferewolf » Tue May 19, 2009 11:12 am

There was never a real way out; not without leaning on the crutch of charity.
I was a conman, not a beggar.
I had given up pride long ago; you can't eat pride.
Wait, what? So he hates charity and would rather hurt people to get at at what they'd give him willingly because that's so much more dignified, but that's not pride?
My fic: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1501#p65073

"Maybe it was the beer talking, or maybe it was my brother, crouching behind the couch whispering 'Please don't drink me mister, I don't want to die!'"
--Jack Handey

Spencer
Rampant AI
Rampant AI
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Post by Spencer » Tue May 19, 2009 6:05 pm

I think that normally he would take the time to be proud of the fact that he conned someone out of something, but since you can't eat pride, he doesn't waste time patting himself on the back anymore. He just does what is necessary because it is necessary.

capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator

Post by capnnerefir » Wed May 20, 2009 10:36 am

The Drode doesn't refuse charity because he's too proud to accept it. He refuses to beg because he doesn't need to; he can get what he wants by deception and trickery instead. Relying on charity when it wasn't his life on the line would just be pathetic, in his opinion. He has self-respect, not pride; there's a subtle difference between the two.

aximili
Civilian
Favourite Animorph: Ax

Post by aximili » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:51 am

....almost a year nao?
D: