Animorphs #55: The Prologue (TOBIAS AND CRAYAK CUT A DEAL)

All non-original works should be posted here
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Re: Animorphs #55: The Prologue

Post by capnnerefir » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:40 am

Elfangor wrote:ok ive just worked out thats this is just a bit shorter than Animorphs on average
i just worked out how many characters the are in ten chapters on this to ten chapters of Animorphs 1
and animorphs 1 has about 6k more characters which isnt much
seeing as this has just over 260 characters
I'm flattered that you took the time to figure that out.

Elfangor
The Chee
The Chee

Post by Elfangor » Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:26 pm

capnnerefir wrote:
Elfangor wrote:ok ive just worked out thats this is just a bit shorter than Animorphs on average
i just worked out how many characters the are in ten chapters on this to ten chapters of Animorphs 1
and animorphs 1 has about 6k more characters which isnt much
seeing as this has just over 260 characters
I'm flattered that you took the time to figure that out.
it took me 2 mins BTW your fic is awesome
You all have guns
And you never put the safety on
And you all have plans,
To take it

Don't Take It

capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator

Post by capnnerefir » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:00 pm

I decided to wrap the preview chapter in a spoiler so no one reads it if they want to be surprised. I can upt up the next book at any time, so I'll probably do it tomorrow. Or I could do it now... I haven't decided.

capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Animorphs #55: The Prologue (TOBIAS AND CRAYAK CUT A DEAL)

Post by capnnerefir » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:33 pm

I'm aware of the status quo. I went through great pains to maintain it. At the time I was writing this, I felt obligated to remain as close to KAA's story as possible; I even inserted the same villain (Esplin). I refer to him as Visser Three, you're right, because that's how he's best remembered. In later fics, I usually just call him Esplin after I build up the association.
As for the slight inaccuracy about when Yeerks and Iskoort meet... Can Tobias really be expected to remember every detail of everything that happened? Especially a detail so minor and mentioned in passing.
There is plenty more to come about Tobias's half-brother in later fics, don't worry. As for more backstory on him...I'm thinking up a short fic about how he came to be (i.e. Elfangor and...is it bad that I forget her name? And maybe I'll throw in Nerefir just for funzies. And maybe Guraff...).

Don't worry too much about the status quo, thought. It'll change drastically by the end, although I intentionally kept much the same. There will be subtle differences, though. For example, the Ellimist will pretty much be replaced by the Drode.

EmberGryphon
Captain
Captain

Post by EmberGryphon » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:06 pm

...Holy crap, that was epic. xD And I'm sorry for bumping an old thread, but I want to throw out a comment, damn it. D=

I love how you picked up off the canon ending... having time stop right after the last line of #54 works amazingly well, and is pretty much as close to a perfect segue as I've ever seen. I love that you brought back the Iskoort- they amuse me. =P- and the whole legend about the One and the Kelbrid and the Yeerks? That was awesome.
capnnerefir wrote:“How do you not remember?” Santorelli asked. “I would think a disaster that took away the homeworld of an entire race would be more memorable.”
“What killed the dinosaurs?” Jeanne asked him. Santorelli shrugged and looked at Guide to continue.
“I did,” I answered her.
I love this quote. x3
capnnerefir wrote:“Let me tell you a little secret. That first war wasn’t just bad. It was what hell wants to be when it grows up. Hell has posters of that war on its bedroom wall. Hell made that war autograph its t-shirt."
But honestly, that quote made the story. Because it sounds so much like how Tobias would talk after the war- bitter and withdrawn. I like how you showed that development in him- though I might have liked to see him be bothered by a little bit of guilt, especially when he's knocking ordinary, minding-their-own-business zoo guards unconcious. I thought I wouldn't like it as much, once you made him human again- I really like him as a hawk- but the fact that you kept his mind and... y'know, spirit still that of a bird makes it much more interesting and... really adds an irony. The last war starts with him being a human trapped as a bird; this war starts with him being a hawk in the shape of a human. I can dig that.

Oh! And, I almost forgot- Esplin's return! As, once more, the leader of the Evil~! 8D His whole "You guys never visit me. D=" shpiel made me smile; it was very in-character for him. Super-arrogant, taunting, as always. And the fact that he is an Andalite again- even though, poor Ax =X- is very delightful.

Finally, I like Santorelli and Jeanne's character developments. One can track similarities to Ax and Rachel, but not just carbon copies- I'm especially warming up to Santorelli, but that might just be 'cause he got more screen time.

Anywho. That's my needlessly-long comment. Well done! I'll now continue to read the rest of the series. (And thanks for writing these! It's like continuing on with the actual Animorphs books past the ending!)
Trainin' Wadsworth --> ImageImage

capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator

Post by capnnerefir » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:35 pm

I've got absolutely no problem with people bringing my old fics back to the top; maybe new members can find them easier that way...
EmberGryphon wrote:
capnnerefir wrote:“How do you not remember?” Santorelli asked. “I would think a disaster that took away the homeworld of an entire race would be more memorable.”
“What killed the dinosaurs?” Jeanne asked him. Santorelli shrugged and looked at Guide to continue.
“I did,” I answered her.
I love this quote. x3
Yeah, that seems to be one of my most popular. I've been told several times that that quote makes the story...
EmberGryphon wrote:
capnnerefir wrote:“Let me tell you a little secret. That first war wasn’t just bad. It was what hell wants to be when it grows up. Hell has posters of that war on its bedroom wall. Hell made that war autograph its t-shirt."
But honestly, that quote made the story. Because it sounds so much like how Tobias would talk after the war- bitter and withdrawn. I like how you showed that development in him- though I might have liked to see him be bothered by a little bit of guilt, especially when he's knocking ordinary, minding-their-own-business zoo guards unconcious. I thought I wouldn't like it as much, once you made him human again- I really like him as a hawk- but the fact that you kept his mind and... y'know, spirit still that of a bird makes it much more interesting and... really adds an irony. The last war starts with him being a human trapped as a bird; this war starts with him being a hawk in the shape of a human. I can dig that.
I'm so glad you picked up on that. It's great to have a reader who can see past the pretty explosions (*looks at John, truest, and das*) and awesome evilness. Not to say that they don't get it; just that they never mentioned it.
EmberGryphon wrote:Oh! And, I almost forgot- Esplin's return! As, once more, the leader of the Evil~! 8D His whole "You guys never visit me. D=" shpiel made me smile; it was very in-character for him. Super-arrogant, taunting, as always. And the fact that he is an Andalite again- even though, poor Ax =X- is very delightful.
What can I say? Without good ole Esplin, it just didn't feel right. Without him, team Evil just feels kinda...bland. And don't worry, there's plenty more evil to come!
EmberGryphon wrote:Finally, I like Santorelli and Jeanne's character developments. One can track similarities to Ax and Rachel, but not just carbon copies- I'm especially warming up to Santorelli, but that might just be 'cause he got more screen time.
Santorelli was one of the ones I liked, too. Jeanne...wasn't sure where to go with her; she doesn't really get as developed as I liked until a few books in.
EmberGryphon wrote:Anywho. That's my needlessly-long comment. Well done! I'll now continue to read the rest of the series. (And thanks for writing these! It's like continuing on with the actual Animorphs books past the ending!)
Well, needlessly-long fics deserve needlessly-long comments! And I'm glad you felt like the series was continuing; that was my goal, after all. Enjoy!

maxonennis
Warrior
Warrior
Favourite Animorph: Jake

Post by maxonennis » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:51 pm

I usually don't read Fanfics because is it hard to give your own interpretations of another author's work while staying true to the original work, but I went ahead and read this.

I have a couple of big problems with it.

1: There are a lot of inconsistencies in it when compared to the original Animorphs. Character inconsistencies are the biggest and most glaring.
I’m not the best guy to talk to about emotions. Jake knew that. I was no substitute for Cassie, at least. Jake was the closest thing we had to a sensitive guy. Maybe Jeanne was. I didn’t know her.
I'm calling BS on this. Tobias is way more sensitive than Jake ever was--in fact, I would argue that Tobias was the most sensitive character in the whole series. There are a bunch of small things like that. (I know that you like Tobias a lot, but you really play up his intelligence beyond anything he'd shown in the original series.) Again, I know that this is your interpretation of the characters, but it feels like we must've read a completely different Animorphs series.

2: Crayak must be dumb. Or at least that’s how you make him out to be. If a simple minded human can see through a poorly thought out plot, why couldn’t Crayak?

3: Within the starting chapters I swore that this was going to be about the new six Animorphs on a series of guerilla warfare missions in the "Kelbird space" in attempt to bring down the One (I saw that you have up to book 68 finished, and I thought it would be a drawn out series about the missions). I was greatly disappointed it wasn't. This is easily my biggest complaint :D (And now with that idea in place, I've begone a fanfic--I've never done this before--of the new six doing just that. There will be no involvement with Drode,Crayak, or the Ellimist in it.)

capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator

Post by capnnerefir » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:30 am

maxonennis wrote:I usually don't read Fanfics because is it hard to give your own interpretations of another author's work while staying true to the original work, but I went ahead and read this.

I have a couple of big problems with it.

1: There are a lot of inconsistencies in it when compared to the original Animorphs. Character inconsistencies are the biggest and most glaring.
I’m not the best guy to talk to about emotions. Jake knew that. I was no substitute for Cassie, at least. Jake was the closest thing we had to a sensitive guy. Maybe Jeanne was. I didn’t know her.
I'm calling BS on this. Tobias is way more sensitive than Jake ever was--in fact, I would argue that Tobias was the most sensitive character in the whole series. There are a bunch of small things like that. (I know that you like Tobias a lot, but you really play up his intelligence beyond anything he'd shown in the original series.) Again, I know that this is your interpretation of the characters, but it feels like we must've read a completely different Animorphs series.
Character "inconsistencies" are largely due to the fact that the characters have changed dramatically since the series ended. I agree that Tobias is far more sensitive than Jake; Tobias himself, though, does not. Especially not after he has become so distant from the world. As for intelligence, no one else has said anything to me about Tobias being too intelligent. I believe you are just claiming htis because you don't like the character, in the same way that people claim Visser Three is unintelligent or that Jake is a good leader. Certainly there are those who despise Cassie and would not acknowledge any real intelligence in her. But that's the great thing about the Animorphs: it is entirely possible for us to read a completely different series. If you pay attention to different characters, interpret different messages, and so on and so forth, your interpretation will be wildly different from mine.
maxonennis wrote:2: If a simple minded human can see through a poorly thought out plot, why couldn’t Crayak?
To this, I can offer no answer other than that I did something I shouldn't: I took artistic license. to further the story. It's not something I'm proud of, but this was my first fic; I have since gotten much better about that.
maxonennis wrote:3: Within the starting chapters I swore that this was going to be about the new six Animorphs on a series of guerilla warfare missions in the "Kelbird space" in attempt to bring down the One (I saw that you have up to book 68 finished, and I thought it would be a drawn out series about the missions). I was greatly disappointed it wasn't. This is easily my biggest complaint :D (And now with that idea in place, I've begone a fanfic--I've never done this before--of the new six doing just that. There will be no involvement with Drode,Crayak, or the Ellimist in it.)
When I started writing it, that was what I thought it would be to, and I was surprised when it wasn't. But it wasn't up to me. I'm not here to dictate the story, only to narrate it.

yashashree2025
Captain
Captain

Post by yashashree2025 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:38 am

hi,this is to say i really enjoyed the new book and the ones to follow...the twists given by you capn...are outstanding...keep up the good work!! :D
It's a Bird ...It's a Spaceship...It's ...TOBIAS!!!!

Ellimist
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Animorph: Jake

Post by Ellimist » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:51 am

yashashree2025 wrote:hi,this is to say i really enjoyed the new book and the ones to follow...the twists given by you capn...are outstanding...keep up the good work!! :D
Welcome to the Neomorphs Fan Club. New recruits should abstain from viewing the Neopedia, as it can spoil some of capn's awesome works for you. :mrgreen: