The Red Cube

All non-original works should be posted here
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
Toominator
Gedd

The Red Cube

Post by Toominator » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:28 am

My name is Erek. That’s my first name, obviously. I can’t tell you my last name. Not yet. You have to know what’s happening first.

The year is 2026 and the war has long been over. Already has it almost faded to just a memory. In two short decades the harmony of so many races led to the greatest renaissance in any of their histories. In this boom, the morphing technology was perfected. Transformations and acquiring were now nearly instantaneous. Time limits were a thing of the past. Even reverting to your original form was no longer necessary. As if that wasn’t enough, massive DNA databases were compiled with billions of species from across the entire galaxy enabling one to acquire any specific species at the touch of a button.

The benefits of this incredible technology were astounding. We had unveiled the fountain of youth. If you can only age when in your original form and your morphs revert their age whenever you transform, why would you ever stay in your original form? On top of that, injuries, sickness, disease, even hunger would not apply. Hunger is but a physical manifestation. Anything physical was no longer an obstacle.

It was known early on this was still a very dangerous weapon. The militaries and governments of the collective species knew this had to be controlled, and it was…….for a time. Unfortunately, this was too great a power to resist. Corruption from within leaked the technology and almost over night the new morphing technology went from being available to select elite officers, to being shared like free movies over the internet. The destruction of our civilizations was immediate.

The militaries across the galaxy united in attempt to control the uprising, but it was impossible. By the time researchers were able to develop an anti-morphing field projector, it was too late. Our planets had dissolved to anarchy.

I work for the military, at least I used to. I was born into it. My parents survived one war, only to die in this tragedy. I worked with them, and the others from the old war to try and contain this plague, but now it’s just me and Ax. My name is Erek Berenson, and this is my story.

freded21
War-Prince
War-Prince
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Re: The Red Cube

Post by freded21 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:34 pm

That was awesome. :)
I <3 the Animorphs

I just had a AFF moment. My friends and I were talking about people who use others and I say:
"yeah it's like when someone only makes 5 posts then leaves and never comes back."
No one knew what I was talking about...

Toominator
Gedd

Post by Toominator » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:49 pm

Dude, seriously, thank you. I have this thing on two separate forums and no one's been commenting. As long as I have at least one reader I'm content to continue.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The eight Leerans seated at the conference table were all nervous. Myself included. Our last meeting was raided and it was a miracle each of us even escaped. The efforts of the rebels have gotten more and more aggressive. Something I could not bring myself to comprehend. Killing for supposed freedom? What bothered me more is that humans accounted for the largest percentage of the organization. True irony is realizing most of your allies are the very race your previous generation fought to bloody death. But races were irrelevant now. If there was one benefit of the morphing technology outbreak, it’s that it united the galaxy. Now we were only divided by our beliefs. It seems however, beliefs can fuel a war far more potently than race.

“I’m sorry to say two more operatives have gone missing. This has ….” General Xander started.

“You mean died,” I added contemptuously. “Why do you insist on continuing that ridiculous label? No officer has been reported dead in over a year, but we all know very well what happened to them. Dying in morph does not mean you’re possibly still alive.”

The General was annoyed at having to deal with my outbursts so early in the meeting, “You know very well the code we have in place is for a reason. The Tobias Clause ensur……

“Oh spare me the textbook response General. I know for a fact even you don’t….” I began, but Aximili calmy interrupted.

“Now is not the opportune time to discuss that matter.”

“As I was saying,” the General continued, “This has finally convinced the council to allow more drastic measures be taken in eliminating the Anarchists.”

I shifted my position slightly, barely able to contain my discomfort. You don’t fight fire with fire, you fight it with water. I wanted to comment, but I had caused enough trouble as is. Besides, they all knew what I was thinking. Using Leerans for meetings often caused arguments as everyone’s true thoughts were always let out, but it was the only way to ensure we were not being infiltrated.

“To answer your question,” the General continued, “ the Council has authorized the excommunication of their UG headquarters.”

No amount of self-control was going to keep me from snapping at that, “WHAT?! Are they MAD?! The last remnant of civility we have left with them, we’re going to throw away? Even the Nazi’s had rights after WWII, eliminating their United Galaxies position is going to make them even more violent. Without negotiations the only thing left they’ll have to do is terrorize!”

“Unfortunately, even if I agreed with you, Erek, there’s nothing we can do at this point. The Council’s decision was unanimous so it won’t even be permitted as a vote for the public. The ambassadors of the Anarchists may have already eve……..”

BOOM!

The entire ceiling exploded into tiny fragments. Instinctively, I focused on the Garatron DNA inside me. It’d be the quickest escape from the facility. It wasn’t until I took my first step to run away that I realized I hadn’t morphed. I couldn’t morph.

I looked up to the small bug fighter above the now destroyed ceiling and saw the familiar red cube hanging just below it. I couldn’t read the full script from this distance, but the initials were still readable. A.M.C. Anti-morphing Cube.

“Shi………”

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Post by Tobias_Marco » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:33 pm

<Well now you have two readers.>

<I must say that I am not happy with the thought that morphing can "cure" hunger. Movement or change of any kind requires energy of some kind. Living things get that enegry from food.>
<Z-Space may let us bend the rules when it comes to faster then light travel, but the energy to use Z-Space has to come from somewhere.>
<Ships need fuel and so do people.>

<Other then that I liked this story.>
<Erek must have been named after a Chee we all know, and he must be Jake's son.>
<I wonder if Cassie is his mother.>
<The ending of Animorphs must have changed, if Erek knows Ax.>
<It should be fun to read the next part.>
True education, true science, true religion is the search for truth.
Matthew 28:16-20, John 3:14-20

Toominator
Gedd

Post by Toominator » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:43 pm

Ah, some one that caught on. All astute observations and all good questions. I've purposely left out pieces to be developed and understood as the story progresses. That said, here's the next chapter:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The two soldiers on my right sizzled in a blinding flash and a squadron of identical Andalites dropped from the ship as the room erupted in Dracon beam fire. I dove behind the far counter to my left and unleashed a volley at the pack swarming from the south side. Ducking and peering around the side to assess the situation, I caught a glimpse of General Xander at the East doorway before feeling the actual heat of a barely missed shot and taking cover anew.

<Commander, your assistance would be appreciated.> Ax called out from somewhere ahead.

I glanced over the counter top, firing at the nearest intruders. Ax was pinned down behind a thin pillar with the enemy closing fast. In that Leeran body, he’d last all of a microsecond once the Andalites got close enough. Knowing they were about to flank, Ax bolted for the now open door. As he dodged and dived, pausing for a split second would get him killed, but I noticed a black spot of ash at the entry.

<Ax! To the roof!> I yell, shooting his closest chaser.

<But ho….> Ax is interrupted by my Dracon fire at the ceiling above the entryway. Without missing a beat, Ax jumped up the rubble and kicked off the wall through the newly made hole above. Just as his tentacles pulled him up and over, an enormous Dracon blast cleared the doorway to twice it’s size, incinerating the rubble and his two pursuers.

<Alright, yeaaaarrrrrrrrhg!> One of my legs sizzled and burned off. I fell back behind the counter, clutching the stump. I stared at it in shock until Captain Maye stumbled in beside me, streaking the floor with a bloody mess as both hands covered the gaping hole in her side.

<I am dying.> She said simply. Announcing like this was standard news to report.

Enraged, I grabbed the Dracon beam from Maye’s holster and jumped out spraying with both weapons. My first two targets hit, but my shoulder was caught from my blind side. The east doorway. A second squadron was pouring in.

<Ax, if you can hear me, your assistance would be equally appreciated right about now.> I called out. No answer. The first squadron was just around the corner. The crunching hooves were close enough to hear.

<You’re trapped like rats, you communist filth.> The lead Andalite boomed.

<I disagree with your assessment of the situation.> Ax retorted from some place out of sight.

BOOOOOM!!!

The bug fighter crashed down through the hole it had blasted in the ceiling and flattened several approaching warriors. A familiar red cube flew and bounced off the wall behind me, charred and sparking in pieces.

<Maye! Fly morph, now!> I ordered. And with that, we were gone.

Even as we flew to safety however, a thought wouldn’t stop nagging me. No intruder could have gotten past all eight of us as telepathic Leerans, so how did they know when and where to attack?

Visser 5
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Visser 5 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:48 am

Wait, what?
Now I'm all confused.
Why would't people want to go back 2 there own bodies every once in a while.
Wouldn't that limit the avalible DNA to make new people?
Vote for me! I will fix everything, giving everyone health care, food, a home with high speed internet and a good paying job, & kill everyone who makes more then $1 million per year &give their money to the poorest 10%.

Spencer
Rampant AI
Rampant AI

Post by Spencer » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:16 am

I think that because the morphing technology was "perfected" none of the old rules apply. Morphs can probably be acquired from other morphs, and if two morphed individuals can have children, then it would create "new" DNA, which would go into the databases.

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle

Post by Tobias_Marco » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:03 am

<But if there were only 100 samples of human DNA on file, then there would only be 100 faces, and before you know it you would be marring your sister.>
<If my dad and my father-in-law are both morphed into the same DNA, and my mother and my mother-in-law are morphed in the same morph, then it doesn't matter that my wife's family were Hork-Bajir and I was an Andalite up until 20 years ago, I would still be marring my sister.>
True education, true science, true religion is the search for truth.
Matthew 28:16-20, John 3:14-20

Visser 5
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Visser 5 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:36 am

Hey! TM! Are you back?
Sorry, that was an old post.
Why hasn't the story moved on?
I want to know what happens next!
Vote for me! I will fix everything, giving everyone health care, food, a home with high speed internet and a good paying job, & kill everyone who makes more then $1 million per year &give their money to the poorest 10%.

Spencer
Rampant AI
Rampant AI

Post by Spencer » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:37 am

Tobias_Marco wrote:<But if there were only 100 samples of human DNA on file, then there would only be 100 faces, and before you know it you would be marring your sister.>
<If my dad and my father-in-law are both morphed into the same DNA, and my mother and my mother-in-law are morphed in the same morph, then it doesn't matter that my wife's family were Hork-Bajir and I was an Andalite up until 20 years ago, I would still be marring my sister.>
Yes, but, it is entirely possible that DNA from those 100 sample could be mixed and matched. Combining those morphs to create a unique one would make many more morphs available. And it seems much more likely that a few million DNA templates would be on file.