Novamorphs #1: The Infestation

All non-original works should be posted here
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
bigbadharv
Gedd

Re: Novamorphs #1: The Infestation

Post by bigbadharv » Sat May 09, 2009 1:40 pm

I really like how you're putting this together. I haven't read all of the Animorphs books yet, so I don't understand all the history yet, but this is really good. :)

BeyondtheEllimist
Warrior
Warrior
Favourite Animorph: Rachel

Post by BeyondtheEllimist » Sat May 09, 2009 6:52 pm

Thank you. I try.
There is much that is beyond the Ellimist . . . he just won't admit it.
Check out my fanfic series, Novamorphs. It has the Animorphs' children fighting a second Yeerk invasion. First book: The Infestation.Second book: The Search.

Elfangor
The Chee
The Chee
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Post by Elfangor » Sun May 10, 2009 3:27 am

Can't wait for the next chapter.
You all have guns
And you never put the safety on
And you all have plans,
To take it

Don't Take It

BeyondtheEllimist
Warrior
Warrior

Post by BeyondtheEllimist » Tue May 12, 2009 3:35 pm

Again, thank you for the feedback. Here's chapter 5:

Chapter 5

The next day, after school, we met up again in the barn. We'd just gotten word that we had been approved to try out for Class Four morph clearance. Aldrea had also received word that her transfer request had been approved. She would now be serving under Princess Xenzhril-Kelvana-Miiktuu, the commander of the local Andalite military base.

"Okay, guys, here's the deal: we need to take the morphing test, then get our morphs and practice with them. If we take the test today, we'll get our clearance, and then we can get morphs today and practice with them tomorrow. We hit the facility tomorrow night."

Kendra looked at me. "Are you insane? One day practicing with battle morphs before throwing ourselves into combat? That's crazy! We'd need at least a couple of days."

"Yeah. We might lose control of the morphs in the middle of a fight. Then what? We could get ourselves killed because we might not know how to deal with the animals' instincts." Laurie said.

((I believe that we will be fine. We are all strong enough to suppress animalistic instinctual tendencies. I have full confidence in our abilities. We have no choice, in any case. If we wait too long, the Yeerks may realize Jeff is no longer one of them and send forces out to kill him, at which point they will remove his DNA from the Gleet BioFilters and we will not be able to infiltrate Blackstar Technologies and destroy it without taking even greater risks.)) Aldrea said.

"I agree with Aldrea. I say we take our chances with only a little bit of battle morph experience. We can't wait very long. We're already pushing our luck. Jeff's story about his Yeerk being on a covert assignment and using single-use disposable Kandrona emitters can only hold for so long. Let's just go and take the test." Jarad said.

I looked at Darren. "What do you say?"

"I say we risk it tomorrow night. We really don't have time to waste. Attacking later could mean losing our way in." he said.

"Okay, it's settled. Aldrea, you can stay here with Jeff. The rest of us are going to go take the morphing test."

A short time later, we demorphed from our seagull morphs in front of the M.A.C., which also housed the local branch of the Department of Morphing Technology. We walked in, handed over the testing fee, then headed into a room, sat down, and began taking the test. There was a written portion with multiple-choice questions and then an oral exam, where they'd ask us other questions.

After we finished, the proctor ran the test results through a computer and announced that we had passed. We got our pictures taken, our licenses printed off, and the subcutaneous morph-log chips were reprogrammed so that they understood that animals falling under Class Four were within our clearance range. Next, we headed to the M.A.C. portion of the building and again filled out the morph request forms, this time getting both battle morphs and other useful morphs. For my battle morph, I put down wolf. I also put down bald eagle for a surveillance morph. Then I put down owl(for the night vision), and handed the form in.

After we got the morphs, we headed home to meet up with Aldrea and Jeff. I looked at the others. "So, what did you guys get?" I asked.

"Polar bear for battle, osprey for surveillance, and owl for night vision." Jarad said.

"Snow leopard for battle, osprey for surveillance, and owl." Kendra said.

"Gorilla for battle, golden eagle for surveillance, and owl for night vision." Laurie said.

"Komodo dragon for battle, peregrine falcon for surveillance, and owl." Darren said. "What about you?"

"Wolf, bald eagle, and owl." I said. "Jeff, do you have a battle morph?"

"Well, during my time as a Controller, I was on Visser Eight's security detail. I had to get a Hork-Bajir for that job, along with a variety of other creatures. If you guys don't mind, I'd prefer to use my Hork-Bajir." he said.

"A Hork-Bajir? Those are Class Five, aren't they?" Jarad asked.

"The Yeerks figured out a way to trick the subcutaneous chips. I technically have Class Four clearance, but, because the Yeerks messed around with the chip, it thinks I have Class Five Unlimited. If you guys want, I can do the same thing to your chips." Jeff replied.

"No thanks. As awesome as it would be to be able to acquire whatever I want, I'd rather not get thrown in prison for morph law violations if we get caught." Darren said.

"I agree. Considering who our parents are, it would look bad enough if one of us got caught with fake clearance. If all of us got caught, the scandal would be huge." I said. "Now, let's see what our morphs can do."

A few hours later, everyone else had gone home. I was in my room, reading Sun Tzu's The Art of War. I've always been interested in tactics and strategy. Something about them just appeals to me. I spend a lot of time changing factors in major battles to change the outcome, to see what course the battles could have taken. My favorite thing to do was give one side or another the advantages of more modern weapons and then mentally simulate the altered battle. I'd also sometimes change the strategies that one side or the other used.

There was a knock on my door, and Jeff walked in. "Hey." he said. "Can I sit down?" I nodded.

Jeff sat down on my bed. "I just wanted to thank you again for trusting me. I wasn't really expecting you to believe me, let alone ask me to help fight the Yeerks with you guys."

"No problem. We need all the help we can get."

"There's something else that I'm a little curious about."

"What?"

"Is there something going on between you and Aldrea?"

"WHAT?!" I practically screamed. "You're kidding, right? There is absolutely nothing going on between me and Aldrea. We're just friends, that's all. What gave you the idea that something was going on between us?"

"The way you act around her. You seem really protective of her. And then there are the two-and-a-half hours you were with her yesterday. Alone."

"We just talked and watched the sun set." I said. "Nothing else happened."

"Okay. Just checking."
Check out my fanfic series, Novamorphs. It has the Animorphs' children fighting a second Yeerk invasion. First book: The Infestation.Second book: The Search.

Elfangor
The Chee
The Chee

Post by Elfangor » Tue May 12, 2009 4:04 pm

Great chapter! Can't wait for 6

I also think you should get all them class 5 clearance.
You all have guns
And you all have plans,
To take it

Don't Take It

BeyondtheEllimist
Warrior
Warrior

Post by BeyondtheEllimist » Wed May 13, 2009 1:03 pm

Here's chapter 6:

Chapter 6

After school the next day, we headed to a Morph Practice Range, where people could go to test out their morphs in a safer setting than their own backyards. We set up some targets and then morphed to practice attacking them. I was particularly pleased by how well Darren was handling the Komodo dragon. He was practicing quick attacks, getting in, slashing open the enemy's neck, chest, and stomach with his claws and teeth, and getting out to move onto the next opponent. We were all practicing that way, striking as quickly as possible to disable the enemy and then going for the next one. Jeff was doing the best, striking at major arteries with his Hork-Bajir blades and whirling around from enemy to enemy, dealing death and injury nonstop.

For about two-and-a-half hours we practiced. Finally, I told everyone to demorph, head home, and get some rest. We were going to attack Blackstar Technologies that night, and I didn't want anyone to be too tired. We'd decided to meet up at about eight-thirty that night at my house to go over the plan one final time.

Kendra, Jeff, and I were flying home together in our raptor morphs. We knew it would be obvious we were morphs because of how closely together we were flying, but at that point it wasn't too important to disguise that fact. A lot of people could morph, and it wasn't uncommon to see groups of friends flying together.

((So, hypothetically, what if one of us gets killed?)) Kendra asked.

((I don't know. I guess we could try to make it look like whoever got killed ran away or something.)) I said. Kendra's question had caught me off guard. I hadn't really thought about what we'd do if one of us got killed; I'd just assumed that, no matter what, the seven of us would make it out alive - the thought that we could get killed hadn't entered my mind.

((Or we could try to make it look like an accident.)) Jeff said.

((Anyways, we'll cross that bridge when and if we come to it. Until we actually need to think about it, which we won't, it's just one more thing that we don't need to deal with right now.)) I said, regaining my composure and putting on a mask of confidence. ((Let's just focus on getting home.))

Later that night, at 8:30, we had regrouped back at the barn. Aldrea had taken Jeff's sketches of the facility and programmed them into a holoprojector, which I turned on. It showed only the inside of the facility in blue, semitransparent light, with the security features in red.

I touched the controls, and seven differently-colored dots of light appeared.

"Okay, here's the deal. Each of these dots corresponds to one of us. One of us, in owl morph, is going to stay outside and keep an eye on things out there." I touched the console, and one of the dots floated up into the air and began circling the facility.

"Next, the remaining six of us are going to work our way into the building, with five of us hiding on Jeff as bugs. We are going to head straight for the power core." The six dots on the ground moved on top of each other and began moving, leaving faint light trails. They went through the facility and downward into the power chamber, then back out after the power chamber began flashing red. A short time later, there was a holographic explosion and the hologram disappeared.

"Jeff is going to activate the overload from the control panel while the rest of us morph to battle morphs, sever the coolant pipes, and then hold off anyone trying to stop us. Next, we head straight for the exit, fighting our way out if necessary. Once we're far enough away, we demorph, then remorph to owl and fly as far away as we can before demorphing and heading home. Any questions?"

"Just one: Does anyone else think this is insane?" Jarad asked.

"Hey, our parents did some pretty insane things during the first Yeerk War, and they beat the Yeerks in three years, as opposed to the forty years during which the Andalites hadn't stopped them. I figure that, if we do just as many crazy things as our parents did, we can do the same. I'm willing to bet on it." Darren said.

"Insanity can win wars." Laurie said.

"Insanity can also get people killed." Kendra said. "I personally have no intention of getting killed because of an insane idea."

"This isn't insane, and no one is going to get killed." I said firmly, confidently.

((Alex is right. We will all make it out alive.)) Aldrea said. ((Now, shall we head to the facility?))

"Not yet. We head out at 9:30. Just before we head out, I want everyone to take one of these Five Hour Energy drinks. We need to be alert, focused, and prepared for combat." I said, pulling out seven small bottles. "Until then, who's up for a game of cards?"

We spent the next forty-five minutes playing poker, betting Monopoly money instead of real money. Aldrea was doing so well that after a while there was a vote on whether or not to disqualify her for cheating. She stayed in the game, but eventually Darren won, beating her by a hair's breadth.

Finally, at 9:25, we put the cards away and got ready to head out. The seven of us began to morph to owl. Each morph is different. This time, for me, the eyes came first. The night lit up like searchlights were shining everywhere. I looked down at my arms as the feathers appeared, intricate tattooes tracing across my skin, then blossoming out of my skin into 3-D like a spreading fire. Next, I shrank. It wasn't like falling; it was more like the ground rushing up at you. I could feel my bones shifting, rearranging, my internal organs shifting around and shrinking with squishing noises. Then my feet turned into talons, and the beak burst out of my face.

I looked around at the others, who were all nearly finished morphing. When Jarad, who was lagging behind the rest, finished, I fluttered my wings. ((Okay, let's go.)) I said, taking off up into the air. The others followed, and we took off, heading toward the edge of town and Blackstar Technologies.

Elfangor
The Chee
The Chee

Post by Elfangor » Thu May 14, 2009 2:04 am

For about two-and-a-half hours we practiced. Finally, I told everyone to demorph
When did the morph limit change?

Also did they forget to take the drinks?

Anway good chapter cant wait for next one.
You all have guns
And you all have plans,
To take it

Don't Take It

BeyondtheEllimist
Warrior
Warrior

Post by BeyondtheEllimist » Thu May 14, 2009 2:32 am

Elfangor wrote:
For about two-and-a-half hours we practiced. Finally, I told everyone to demorph
When did the morph limit change?
I'm sorry. I should have made that more clear; they demorphed during the practice, then remorphed.

Elfangor
The Chee
The Chee

Post by Elfangor » Thu May 14, 2009 9:58 pm

I assumed that may be the case just the fact that he told them to demorph made it seem strange.
You all have guns
And you all have plans,
To take it

Don't Take It

BeyondtheEllimist
Warrior
Warrior

Post by BeyondtheEllimist » Fri May 15, 2009 1:09 pm

Okay, here's chapter Seven.

Chapter 7

We landed a few blocks away from the facility, then demorphed before remorphing to fleas and hiding in Jeff's ear, getting in there as deeply as we could. We didn't want to take the chance that the Gleet BioFilters would pick up our DNA and register it as not being in the computer before killing us. Our parents had hidden in steers in a similar fashion once.

Jeff approached the facility; we heard him talking to one of the guards. I was resting on the eardrum at the time, and I was shaken around a bit. ((Everyone okay?)) I asked after Jeff had been admitted into the facility.

((Yeah.)) Jarad.

((A little shaken up, but okay.)) Kendra.

((Why did we have to hide in his ear again?)) Darren.

((I am well, Alex.)) Aldrea.

((Okay. Jeff, let us know when it's safe to emerge.)) I said.

About five minutes later, after being stopped a few more times while someone talked to Jeff, I felt a vibration as Jeff tugged on his ear to let us know it was safe. We jumped out onto his hand, then to the floor, where we began demorphing. When we finished, Jeff was already at the controls.

"Guys, get into your battle morphs and start taking out those coolant pipes. Just be careful; it's awfully cold stuff." he said.

"How'd it go? Did anyone suspect anything?" I asked before morphing to wolf.

"I don't think so. My Yeerk had high enough clearance that lower-ranking Yeerks tend to buy anything that comes out of his host's mouth. It's Vishnak 1357 I'm worried about, though; he's a smart one. If anyone can figure it out, it's him. I think I threw him off, though."

"Good. Now we just need to trash this place and get out without getting killed." I said. Jeff's news that someone might suspect that he wasn't telling the truth was disturbing, but I was determined not to let it get in the way.

We went to our battle morphs and began to attack the pipes. Jarad's polar bear was able to just rip the pipes out at the joints; the rest of us had to claw and bite through the metal. Jeff hadn't been kidding when he said that it was cold; after punching through a pipe with my teeth, I felt a blast of cold liquid enter my mouth. I fell backwards, then did one thing that you would never think a wolf would do: I puked, then realized that my muzzle was burning from how cold it had been.

((Jeff, what is this stuff?))

"I don't really know." Jeff said. I shrugged, which is actually pretty hard to do as a wolf, but I did it anyways. Just then, alarms started sounding.

"Okay, the overload's set. Without the coolant pipes, the only thing that can stop the overload is completely shutting down the core, which I've made impossible; I used my Yeerk's authorization codes to lock out all the other consoles, and I'm about to destroy this one. Also, I've uploaded a virus that's going to destroy the data just to make sure they can't start over." Jeff said. "We've got four minutes, twenty five seconds to get out of here."

((Hey, Jeff, what rank was your Yeerk?)) I asked.

"He was an Imperial Knight." Jeff said calmly.

((An Imperial Knight? Why did you not tell us this before?)) Aldrea asked.

((What's an Imperial Knight?)) Jarad asked. The rest of us echoed the question.

"I'll explain later. The most important thing at the moment is that we get out of here before this place blows sky high." Jeff said, then looked at a message that had popped up on the console. He swore under his breath, then entered two more commands into the console. The alarm went off, and a small passageway opened up in one of the walls.

"I've shut down all the security systems. Morph to fly, and then we are going to hightail it out of here through this escape passage. Alex, let Laurie know that we're going to be hitching a ride on her."

((What's with the sudden change of plans?)) I demanded.

"We've got trouble. More Imperial Knights. Old friends of my Yeerk. Fighting our way out past these guys is suicide. They're going to be here in just over a minute-and-a-half. Demorph, then remorph to fly. NOW!" he said, slamming his Hork-bajir blades into the console repeatedly. It sparked, then went dark. I looked at the others.

((Do it.)) I said, then switched to private thought-speak to Laurie. ((Change of plans. We're going to need a pickup.)) I said, already demorphing, focusing all my energy on demorphing as quickly as possible. As soon as I was fully human, I focused on fly and felt the changes begin immediately. As soon as I was ready, I darted toward the passageway, flying up it, the others close behind. As soon as we were out, I landed on Laurie, who was flying by at just that moment. Jeff landed beside me. As soon as everyone was on her, I yelled, ((Get us out of here!!))

She took off, and we were a significant distance away when there was a massive explosion. It lit up the night sky behind us so brightly that my fly vision was overwhelmed. I swear that we even felt the shockwave.

((Jeff, what exactly was that power core?)) Aldrea asked.

((An experimental device that draws energy from Zero-Space. The odds are that everything within about 300 yards of the blast was vaporized instantly when it exploded.))

((Jeff, are you saying that we may have destroyed things that we didn't have to?)) I asked.

((You have to expect collateral damage in war.)) Jeff said simply.

((There could have been innocent people caught in the explosion!)) Kendra exclaimed.

((Necessary casualties.)) Jeff said. ((Which is more important: keeping every advantage we can from the Yeerks, or a few lives?))

((We just murdered a lot of people.)) Kendra said.

((Actually, there really weren't that many people around. I'd say, counting the non-Controllers, only a hundred humans were killed.))

((That doesn't change the fact that we killed them.)) Kendra said.

After that, we lapsed into silence until we landed at the barn and began to demorph.

"Okay, Jeff, there are some things you need to explain. First, what's an Imperial Knight?" I said once I had finished demorphing.