Novamorphs #1: The Infestation

All non-original works should be posted here
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
BeyondtheEllimist
Warrior
Warrior
Favourite Animorph: Rachel

Novamorphs #1: The Infestation

Post by BeyondtheEllimist » Sat May 02, 2009 6:14 pm

Hey, everyone. I'm new to this forum, and I wanted to see how everyone likes the first chapter of a story I've been working on. Here's a summary:
Something intervened when Jake gave the order to ram the Blade ship. The Animorphs found themselves back on Earth with a freed Ax, a resurrected Rachel, and a human Tobias. They tried to find out what had happened, in the meantime growing up and having kids of their own. Now the kids must fight against a new Yeerk menace by themselves because letting the public know would lead to Earth’s destruction at the hands of an entity even more powerful than the Ellimist and Crayak.

Here are the characters(Just to let everyone know so no one's confused):
Alex Chambers: Son of Cassie and Ronnie Chambers. Leader of the group. Enjoys planning out battles. Spends a lot of time on real-time strategy games. Has books on great tacticians, ranging from Cao Cao to Napoleon Bonaparte and Hannibal. Is always reenacting the great battles of the world using different battle plans and strategies to change the outcome.
Kendra Chambers: Daughter of Cassie and Ronnie Chambers. Alex’s sister. Doesn’t like fighting, but, when she has to, she doesn’t hold back. Jarad calls her Kendra, Tree-Hugging Warrior Princess. Frequently slaps Jarad.
Aldrea-Esgarrouth-Meranti: Daughter of Aximili-Esgarrouth-Isthill. Member of the Andalite military stationed on a patrol ship patrolling between the Yeerk Homeworld and Earth. Grew up on Earth while her father was stationed as the Andalite Ambassador to Earth. Is very close friends with Alex and the others. Is willing to do whatever it takes to win a fight.
Jarad Fangor: Son of Tobias and Rachel Fangor. Named after Jara Hamee, first of the free Hork-Bajir. Has a sense of humor, but he isn’t afraid to do things other people wouldn’t.
Laurie Fangor: Daughter of Tobias and Rachel. Has a friendly rivalry with Darren and often tries to embarrass him or get him in trouble.
Darren: Marco and Jeanne’s son. Has a friendly rivalry with Laurie.

And here's the first chapter:
Chapter 1

My name is Alex. That’s all I can tell you. For all you know, Alex may not even be my real name. You see, the Yeerks are back. I can’t trust anyone outside of our little group of friends. We are the Novamorphs, and we are determined to stop the Yeerks like the original Animorphs did.

It started the day we got our morphing licenses. We’d passed the test that would determine if we could use the morphing technology and were hanging out in my mom’s barn. In the middle of the barn, there was a Zero-Space radio. We were sitting in chairs arranged in a semicircle around it. On the screen was a mouthless face covered in purplish-blue fur with two almond-shaped eyes, three vertical slits in place of a nose, and two stalks coming out of her head. One the end of each stalk was an eye.

“We did it, Aldrea. We passed our morphing tests with flying colors. Class Three clearance right off the bat. Two-and-a-half years without any problems related to the morphing tech and we’ll be eligible to apply for Class Four.” I said. Perhaps I should explain. Morphing technology was given to Earth’s general (non-military) population in exchange for a Krispy Kreme franchise on the Andalite Homeworld. The governments of the world set up a system to limit morphing. You have to apply for a morphing license, which you can do when you turn 13, with varying levels of clearance. Class One clearance allows you to acquire harmless Earth creatures like worms, slugs, snails, that kind of thing. Class Two has the addition of species, both earthly and alien, that aren’t harmless, but are non-lethal. Class Three, the highest you can get when you first pass, allows for virtually all non-lethals and some non-lethal sentients. Class Four, available only after two-and-a-half years of Class Three without any morph-related offenses or by special recommendation, allows you all non-lethals, both earthly and alien, a large amount of sentients, and some potentially lethal species. Class Five is divided into two categories: Limited and Unlimited, both of which are available only to military personnel. Class Five Limited allows for most sentients and other creatures, with several more potentially lethal species. Class Five Unlimited includes the most dangerous morphs. To enforce this, each person given the morphing tech is implanted with a subcutaneous chip that records what morphs you acquire. If the morph is outside your clearance, they take you in and perform a procedure that causes an allergy to the DNA, resulting in the DNA being “burped” out of your body, which removes your ability to morph that creature. The chip also records the number of times you morph, which morph you use, when you use it, and for how long. To prevent the chip from breaking out of your body when you morph something smaller than the chip, the chip is designed to be shunted into Z-Space with the rest of the extra mass, and to return when you morph back to human.

((I am glad that you now have the morphing ability.)) Aldrea replied. At the moment, she was on an Andalite patrol ship that patrolled the Z-space corridor between Earth and the Andalite Homeworld. The ship was due to land on Earth for a few days and give its crew some vacation time. It was supposed to arrive today, if Z-Space hadn’t reconfigured.

“Hey, I keep forgetting which level of morph clearance you have, Aldrea.” I said.

((The Andalite Military does not use the morph clearance system the humans use.)) Aldrea replied. At one point, Andalite females wouldn’t normally have been allowed in their military at the end of the first Yeerk War, but Hillary Clinton had begun advocating the right of Andalite females to serve in the military, and the Andalites, fearing that Earth would turn against them if they didn’t allow females in their military, gave in, although somewhat reluctantly.

“Hey, how long until your ship lands?” That was Jarad, my best friend. He had been named for Jara Hamee, first of the free Hork-Bajir.

((I will be on Earth in approximately three Earth hours, Jarad.))

“Sounds good. Gives us time to acquire morphs so we can go out and get used to it.” That was Darren, my other best friend and resident troublemaker. We’d all known what morphs he intended to get. He wanted a monkey. And a mole.

“Good to hear from you again, Aldrea.” That was my sister, Kendra. “Remember, you and I still have some shopping to do.”

((I remember, Kendra.))

“And don’t forget, if you behave yourself during the stay here, I’ll buy you a couple of dozen cinnamon buns from the Cinnabon.” Laurie said. She was Jarad’s sister.

((Well, I shall see you all soon. I must go now. Captain-Prince Faran-Khaleed-Midzure is requesting that all arisths report to him for one final briefing on proper human behavior so as to avoid any problems.))

“Bye.” I said. The others waved and said other goodbyes.

I clicked off the Z-Space transponder, then looked at the others. “Lets head to The Gardens’ Morph Acquisition Center and see what animals they have that are on our clearance level.” I said, heading out of the barn. My Mom already had the car ready. She’d known we’d wanted to get our first morphs the same day we passed the test.

We drove to The Gardens, the awesome amusement park/zoo that now housed the town’s Morph Acquisition Center, or MAC, where various creatures available for morphing were held. Certain alien species were also available there, though you usually had to go to a county or even a state MAC for a lot of the better alien species.

When we arrived, my mom showed us through security and into the MAC. It was a fairly large building. If you wanted to acquire a morph that would be hard to get in nature, you put in a request to the front desk, and then were taken to one of the rooms where the acquisition took place. The animal(s) you had requested were led into the room through passageways behind the walls. Once there, if it was dangerous, the animal to be acquired was given a sedative and two guards always stood ready with tranquilizer guns in case the animal tried to escape. Then you simply walked up to the animal, put your hand on it, and acquired it.

Us five kids each took a clipboard with the animal request form on it. You could fit five requests on one form. I went to a seat and sat down, tapping the pen against the clipboard as I thought. I wanted a bird morph, of course. I decided to go with a seagull. I then proceeded to write down my other requests. They included: Dolphin, Thompson’s gazelle, bat, and my own personal favorite, the chameleon. As much as I wanted a wolf, they were definitely Class Four. All the battle morphs used by the Animorphs were Class Four, and I wouldn’t have that level of clearance for two-and-a-half years unless someone put a letter of recommendation forward.

A few minutes after I turned in the form, I was called in. I followed one of the caretakers into a room, and watched as a seagull was brought in. It was properly sedated, and I reached out my hand and touched it, concentrating on its DNA. A few moments later, I acquired it. The next few animals were brought in, except for the dolphin. They had a special tank room for the aquatic species that people might want to acquire. After I had my four other choices, I was led into the tank room, where the dolphin was already waiting.

After I had the morphs, I was led back out. By the door leading back into the waiting room, I met up with the others, who had been called in at the same time. We decided to head out and get some practice with our morphs, as well as try to get a few commonplace animals, like flies, cockroaches, squirrels, and other creatures.

Two-and-a-half hours later, we were back in my mom’s car heading for the spaceport. We had received word that Aldrea’s ship was coming in on schedule, and we wanted to be there to greet her.

When we arrived, we headed to the terminal where she was getting off her ship. We smiled and waved her over. Seeing us, she gave that weird smile that the Andalites give with their eyes, then walked over.

“What shall we do now, Alex?” she asked. While she didn’t consider me to be her ‘Prince,’ to use the Andalite rank, she did respect me as the leader of the others and followed me out of that respect.

“Let’s head to the mall.” I said. Laurie handed over a bag of clothes, which Aldrea took before heading into a small stall where people could morph. When she emerged, she was in her human morph, which she had created using a Frolis Maneuver with DNA from Laurie, Kendra, Jarad, Darren, myself, and several other kids, mostly girls, who had known Aldrea when she lived on Earth. She was dressed in casual clothes: Jeans and a T-shirt.

We headed off to the mall. My mom had agreed to drop us off and pick us up unless we decided to get home another way. When we got to the mall, we hit the Food Court first. Aldrea would never start a stay on earth without first snacking.

Several hours later, we were walking home. Aldrea had reverted to Andalite form for the walk. We were going through what had once been an old construction site, but it was now a monument. In the exact spot where Prince Elfangor-Sirinial-Shamtul crashed to Earth and died, a statue of five human kids stood with their hands touching a cube held by the dying Andalite Prince.

As we walked by the statue, I heard someone crying. I walked over and noticed a human boy about my age. He was clutching his knees to his chest and sobbing into them. He looked up at us.

“You’re the ones they told me to wait for.” He said simply. His voice was faint, weak.

“Who? Who told you to wait for us?” I asked.

“The glowing blue, old man and the monster eye.” The boy said, coughing. “They said to run here and wait for five people and one Andalite to come. They said to . . . to tell you about the enemy.”

((What enemy?)) Aldrea asked.

“The Yeerks. They’ve-“ he was cut off by Aldrea’s exclamation.

((The Yeerks? Impossible!))

“It’s not impossible. They’ve come back. They serve a being of great power. The glowing man said that only a select few people could fight them. They said that you and those you choose to fight at your side are the ones who must fight. If too many people know, the Enemy will not hesitate to use his full power to wipe Earth out. You have to fight them. Only you can do so.”

“How do you know this?” I asked.

“I was a Controller. The glowing man gave me the strength to fight my Yeerk and keep him away from the Pool long enough to starve him.”

“Come with us. We’ll take you home.” I say.

“No. I don’t have a home. My father left me and Mom, and my mom kicked me out when she caught me trying to restore five old Yeerk Dracon beams and use spare and scrap parts to build my own kind of energy weapon. But that’s not important. The Yeerks won’t let me live when they find out my Yeerk isn’t in the pool.” He said, then continued, “The Yeerks are led by none other than Esplin 9466, the former Visser Three/One. You-“ Again he was cut off.

((Esplin Nine-Four-Double-Six escaped? How?)) Aldrea exclaimed.

“The Enemy freed him somehow. Now shut up and listen or the Earth is doomed. The Yeerks were given new hosts: The Javrakari.”

((The Javrakari? But they are long dead, wiped out in wars they had no hope of winning.)) Aldrea said.

“Again, don’t ask me how.” The boy said.

“How are we supposed to fight them?” Darren asked.

“Read the history books. Fight like the Animorphs did.” The boy said. “I can help. Just give me a place to stay.”

“We don’t even have lethal morph clearance.” Jarad said, looking around.

“Considering who your parents are, you could probably get at least Class Four with a letter of recommendation from them, maybe even Class Five Limited right now if they cashed in a few favors.” The boy said.

“What’s your name?” Laurie asked.

“Jeff. Anyways, my name isn’t important. I have to finish telling you. Visser Three got his hands on an Escafil device and took a morph-capable human host. His whole force is likely morph-capable. Trust only those who you know are clean.”

I looked at the others. “Let’s go. We have a world to save. If there’s a Yeerk invasion, we have to stop it. If we have to do it by ourselves, fine. Jeff, are you in?”
Last edited by BeyondtheEllimist on Tue May 05, 2009 4:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
There is much that is beyond the Ellimist . . . he just won't admit it.
Check out my fanfic series, Novamorphs. It has the Animorphs' children fighting a second Yeerk invasion. First book: The Infestation.Second book: The Search.

capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Re: Novamorphs #1: The Infestation

Post by capnnerefir » Sat May 02, 2009 8:10 pm

Nice to see you decided to put Novamorphs up here!

To anyone who wonders, I assisted in the creation of this chapter, so any similarities between this and my own work have already been noted by me and dismissed.

Anyhow, Beyond, I gave you my feedback a while ago, so all I can really say is that i'm waiting for the next chapski.

Elfangor
The Chee
The Chee

Post by Elfangor » Sat May 02, 2009 9:10 pm

That was a great chapter! And yes i did notice slight similarity's. Can't wait for next chapter!
You all have guns
And you never put the safety on
And you all have plans,
To take it

Don't Take It

BeyondtheEllimist
Warrior
Warrior

Post by BeyondtheEllimist » Sun May 03, 2009 2:44 am

Thank you for your feedback, Capn, Elfangor. Next chapter will be up soon.
Check out my fanfic series, Novamorphs. It has the Animorphs' children fighting a second Yeerk invasion. First book: The Infestation.Second book: The Search.

Luna May
GPC Tamer
GPC Tamer
Favourite Animorph: Cassie

Post by Luna May » Sun May 03, 2009 6:33 am

*loves, adores, adulates, wants more*
That was kickass. I can't wait for the next part!

Avv © Culpeo-Fox

*hi fives Blu*

Isn't quite sure how I feel about anything at the moment.

BeyondtheEllimist
Warrior
Warrior

Post by BeyondtheEllimist » Sun May 03, 2009 6:52 am

I appreciate your feedback, Luna(can I call you Luna?). I only hope that the remaining chapters hold up to your expectations and continue to be as awesome as your praise indicates.
Here's the second chapter:
Chapter Two

“I’m in.” Jeff replied without hesitation.

Aldrea took my arm, and said in private thought-speak to me, ((Are you sure we can trust him? For all we know, it could be a trap. Perhaps an attempt to kidnap us and demand a large ransom.))

I stopped for a second, then said, “Everyone except Jeff, morph. Jeff, I’m sorry, but we have to discuss this in private.”

Once we were all morphed, I said, ((Something about him just tells me we can trust him. I don’t know why. It’s just . . . one of those things you know without really having to think. My instincts tell me we need to trust him and that he’s telling the truth.))

((I’m with Alex.)) Kendra said.

((So are we.)) Jarad and Laurie said simultaneously.

((I have to agree with Aldrea. I say we hold him for three days to make sure he isn’t a Controller. In the meantime, we should get our parents to put in letters of recommendation for us to be given Class Four morph clearance. We also should have them run a background check on him. They’ve got all sorts of connections.)) Darren said. Darren was a guy I trusted. He usually knew what he was talking about with regard to possible courses of action.

((Okay. Anyone have any problems with that?)) I asked. When no one spoke, I began to demorph from seagull. When I got the human mouth, I said, “Okay, Jeff, we’ve decided on a course of action. We’re going to have to hold you for three days in case you are a Yeerk trying to lure us into a trap. During that time, we’ll be running a background check on you. Do you have a problem with that?”

“Actually, I completely agree. Don’t trust anyone, like I said.” Jeff said.

As we began walking to my house to pick up a few things, Aldrea moved her tail blade so that it was hovering near Jeff’s neck, ready to separate his head from his shoulders if he tried anything.

“So, Jeff, what level of morph clearance do you have?” I asked casually.

“Class Four. My dad apparently pulled a few strings, sent in a letter allowing me to apply for higher clearance. I wouldn’t suggest that you get your respective parents to do it. The Morph Laws Regulation Board doesn’t exactly like it when parents use prestige to get their children higher clearance. However, they do seem to turn a blind eye to it when parents send in requests for their friends’ children. Like you and Kendra, Alex. Have Jarad and Laurie’s parents send in the letter asking them to let you two apply for Class Four. Darren, have Kendra and Alex’s parents send in yours, and Jarad and Laurie’s letters of recommendation can get sent in by Darren’s parents.” Jeff said.

“Okay, we just need to work out a story for why you need to stay at my house after we’ve made sure you’re clean.” I say.

“My parents are gone and I need a place to stay for a while.” Jeff said, coming up with the story seemingly off the top of his head. “You and I have known each other for a while, but we’ve been too busy to hang out with each other very much, which is why I haven’t been over before.”

“That sounds like a plausible story.” I said.

When we got to my house, it was dark outside. I sneaked inside and grabbed some rope, then met the others at a shack in the woods. Aldrea had gone to clear it with her superiors that she was going to be staying off-base for the next few days. We tied Jeff to a chair and worked out a guard schedule. Aldrea would guard him during the day, and the rest of us would take turns guarding him at night.

As the next three days passed, we went about our daily business while Darren’s parents, using a picture of Jeff, ran a background check on him using some of the connections they still had from the first Yeerk war. Also, we had managed to convince our parents to write special recommendations so that we could apply for Class Four morph clearance. While I was guarding Jeff to make sure he didn’t try to escape, I talked to him. We talked about all sorts of things. He would sometimes go off on tangential stories about the original Animorphs and sing high praise for them.

We were a little surprised when the background check came back. He completely checked out, but his birth certificate was the most interesting. It had ‘Jake Berenson’ as the father. Jake Berenson had been one of the original Animorphs; their leader, in fact. The only thing was, to public knowledge, Jake had dropped off the face of the planet years ago without leaving any children.

Finally, after three days of watching Jeff, we had no choice but to pronounce him safe. We decided that now was the time to try and see if my parents would let Jeff stay at my house.

We went over to my house after releasing Jeff and getting him cleaned up. I walked in the front door and noticed my Mom and Dad sitting next to each other on the couch

“Hey, Mom, Dad, there’s something I need to talk to you about.” I said, walking over and sitting in a chair. Jeff and the others followed.

“Mom, Dad, this is Jeff.” I said. Now I was committed. There was no more time to second guess my decision. I had to go ahead with our explanation.

After telling my parents the explanation that Jeff and I had agreed on, I wasn’t surprised that my parents said that Jeff could stay with us for as long as he needed to. I had no idea how long that would be. The main concern I had was how my Mom was going to handle living in the same house as the child of the man she'd loved when she was just a teenager.

Elfangor
The Chee
The Chee

Post by Elfangor » Tue May 05, 2009 1:04 am

Awesome! I absolutely love this story!
You all have guns
And you all have plans,
To take it

Don't Take It

BeyondtheEllimist
Warrior
Warrior

Post by BeyondtheEllimist » Tue May 05, 2009 4:33 pm

Thank you for the support and praise. For all of you who crave more, here's chapter 3

Chapter 3

The next day, Wednesday, we decided to meet and discuss what we were going to do. Aldrea had officially put in a request to be transferred to a position on Earth so she could fight the Yeerks here with the rest of us. The request would take a few days to go through. Until she was officially reassigned, she was simply an Andalite warrior on leave.

"Okay, Jeff. Do you have any information about the Yeerks that we could use?"

"I know everything my Yeerk knew. The main Pool is located mainly beneath the mall. The entrances outside the mall are located in a few schools, the movie theater, and there are two in The Gardens. However, they have also built three secondary, smaller Pools in addition to the main one. This way, if the main Pool is destroyed, there are other pools located throughout the city so the Yeerks won't be dying by the hundreds and thousands from Kandrona starvation. You'd have to destroy the Main Pool and all three secondaries to incapacitate the Yeerks. You can't even just take out the Kandrona generator to knock all four pools out because each pool has a primary generator and a backup."

"Okay, so a direct attack is out of the question. Anything else, like a project we could sabotage?"

"Well, one of Esplin's sub-vissers was working on an experiment intended to replace the need for Kandrona radiation. He was attempting to synthesize the chemicals in maple and cinnamon oatmeal that make it a suitable replacement. However, he was attempting to remove the chemicals that have destructive effects on the Yeerk brain stem."

((Is he close to succeeding?)) Aldrea asked.

"Very. Four days ago, the day before I fought my Yeerk for control and starved him, the Yeerk in charge of the project, Sub-visser 3, or Koram Five-Eight-Three, said he was within ten days of succeeding. I know exactly where the research lab is. All the data is contained there. If we destroy it, we can keep one more advantage from the Yeerks."

"Okay, it sounds like we have our first target. We just have to wait until we have Class Four clearance to get some more animals. Then we strike. Where is the facility located, Jeff?" I ask.

"The outskirts of town. A small company called Blackstar Technologies."

"No kidding? Blackstar Tech is a Yeerk organization?" Darren asked incredulously.

"Not originally, but the Yeerks took it over fairly early on in the invasion, about a year ago. They needed a front organization so that they could develop more technology to aid in their conquest."

"I see." I said. "I just want to know a few things: What are the Javrakari?"

Aldrea spoke up. ((The Javrakari are a very dangerous species. They were created by another species, the Kalmra, as warriors. They wiped out their creators, then got involved in other wars that they had no hope of winning. The last I heard, they were extinct.))

"The Yeerks found enough intact DNA to recreate the species. The Javrakari look like velociraptors with four arms. The lower two arms do not end in hands, but one ends in a very powerful energy weapon, the other in an electroshock generator. The upper two arms are assymetrical as well. One ends in a five-fingered, clawed hand, while the other ends in a clamp-like claw that, when closed, forms a blade. Their tail is tipped in poisonous barbs. They can see into a huge range of the electromagnetic spectrum. They are incredibly fast and agile. Every sharp part of their body has poison or venom in it. Last, but certainly not least, their skin is virtually impenetrable. The only things I've seen injure them are their own energy weapons, their own claws and teeth, Hork-Bajir blades, and Dracon beams. The last thing you want to do is fight one head-on in anything but the most powerful morphs." Jeff said.

"Okay. Anything else?"

"Visser Three escaped because a group of Yeerks that first encountered the entity they now follow was ordered to break him out. One of their own switched places with the Visser willingly. Also, the Council of Thirteen has given Esplin the rank of Supreme Visser. All the other vissers are under his direct command. In addition, he has several sub-vissers working directly under him."

"What else is there?" Darren asked.

"The security around Blackstar Tech is really tight. Laser triplines, Gleet BioFilters, security cameras, guards armed with Dracon beams, and a large amount of Javrakari patrolling at regular intervals. If we act quickly, before the Yeerks realize I'm free, my DNA will still be in the Gleet BioFilters, and I also know the control codes to get around the other security systems. The rest of you can hide on me. Once in there, we have to reach the central power chamber, which is hidden in the basement of the facility. Once we're in there, we can cause a catastrophic overload and destroy the entire building and all the information on the project. From start to finish, the operation shouldn't take more than ten minutes."

"You're sure we can pull this off? It seems pretty difficult." Kendra said.

"I'm sure. The only downside is that we've got a window in which to act of only a few days. If we run into trouble because someone realizes my Yeerk hasn't been in the Pool for three feeding cycles, I can always say I was unable to reach the pool due to being on a very sensitive assignment and was forced to use a few single-use disposable Kandrona generators, but there are a few Yeerks who will question that story. We have to act soon. If my Yeerk misses another feeding cycle, and someone notices, odds are they'll come after me."

"If what you're telling us is true, we'd probably have to fight our way out, so we can't do anything until we've got Class Four morph clearance and a few Class Four morphs." I said.

"It's been three days since you put in the applications. I'd say it'll only be, at most, two more days. We'd probably have to act immediately. It's already cutting it close since, by now, my Yeerk would've missed two feeding cycles. The Yeerks are probably already getting suspicious. Our best bet is that they buy the story about my being on a sensitive assignment without access to a pool and having to use single-use disposable Kandrona emitters." Jeff said.

"That's taking a big risk, but I don't see what choice we have." I said. "We hit the facility the moment we have Class Four clearance and morphs."

Elfangor
The Chee
The Chee

Post by Elfangor » Wed May 06, 2009 11:30 pm

Very cool!
You all have guns
And you all have plans,
To take it

Don't Take It

BeyondtheEllimist
Warrior
Warrior

Post by BeyondtheEllimist » Sat May 09, 2009 11:23 am

Okay, after this, I don't have anything else written at the moment. Ideas would be greatly appreciated. The action won't start for a few more chapters, though. If anyone has ideas to help further the story, just PM me with the ideas and I will be sure to give credit where credit is due if I decide to use the ideas.

Chapter 4

We spent the next several hours going over all of Jeff's knowledge about the project. He sketched out a map of the facility and showed us each and every security detail.

"Now, you have to remember, there are Gleet BioFilters every 100 feet, with laser triplines every five feet. The Javrakari guards patrol each corridor every four minutes, and morph-capable human guards armed with Dracon beams patrol every two minutes. The entrances to the corridors leading to the power chamber are located here, here, here, and here. Once we're in, let me handle triggering the overload from the control panel. However, it wouldn't hurt to sever the coolant pipes here, here, and here. That will accelerate the time to core overload from fifteen minutes down to five, as well as making it irreversible. The overload command can be overridden, but severing the coolant pipes can't. Without the coolant system, the core will overheat. We can work out the nuts and bolts of the plan after you guys have Class Four clearance."

With that, the meeting adjourned and we all headed off. I told Kendra to head home and that I'd catch up with her there, then I walked over to Aldrea and asked if she'd mind flying around for a bit before heading home. I told her there were some things I wanted to talk to her about. That was partially true. I also just wanted to spend some time with her. She was only on Earth for a few days every several months, and we hadn't heard back on whether or not her transfer request had been approved. Until we did, I was going to treat it as though she'd be leaving in a few days, and I was going to enjoy every second of her company that I could.

We both morphed to seagull. Aldrea would normally have morphed to kafit bird, but talking in thought-speak was easier when you were closer to the person, and the numerous differences between the kafit and seagull would have made that hard. When the seagull instincts rose up, I pushed them back down, then took off, Aldrea right behind me.

((So, what is it you wish to speak to me about?)) she asked.

((I just wanted to know how you've been.)) I said.

((I have been fine. The news about this new Yeerk invasion is unsettling. Even more unsettling is the fact that we cannot tell anyone without risking Earth's destruction at the hands of this alleged higher power.)) Aldrea said.

((Yeah. That is unsettling. I'm actually a little afraid. What if we fail? What if Earth falls? I can't stop thinking about how there are so many things that could go wrong. I don't know if we're actually going to be able to stop the Yeerks. I mean, we aren't our parents.))

((True, we are not our parents, but a warrior's ability exists no matter what. I believe we can fight them. I also believe we can win. Failure means death, for I would choose death over enslavement at any given time.))

((So would I. We have to win, but I still have to ask, why us? Why are we the only ones who can fight them?))

((Well, Jeff did say that the 'glowing man' and the 'giant eye' said that we could choose others to fight with us. Perhaps we should begin looking for others to fight at our sides.))

((They also said we could only recruit a few others. Besides, at this point, anyone could be a Controller. If we choose to have other people help us fight, we'd have to make sure that whoever we choose isn't under the control of the Yeerks.))

((That won't be too hard. We simply hold them for three days and run a background check, as we did with Jeff.))

((Aldrea, I have to ask you something.))

((What?))

((Do you ever wonder if fate is really just the name we give to the actions of higher powers who use us for their own reasons?))

((Perhaps it is. However, I believe that, if we are chosen by fate, there must be a reason for it, something about who we are as people and what we can contribute to the cause we are chosen for that cannot be replaced by any other. Whatever the reason for us being chosen, we were chosen for a reason, and it is our duty to serve the cause we were chosen for.))

((That's . . . oddly philosophical.)) I commented, turning and flying over a street, catching a dying thermal, a pillar of warm air caused by the heat of the sun reflecting off of something. However, this late it the day, with the sun setting at our backs, the thermals weren't that great, and I only rose a short distance before flying off of it and heading for the open fields.

For the next hour or so, Aldrea and I just flew, thinking and enjoying each other's company. Her comment about being chosen by fate because of something about us that could further a specific cause had put us both into deep thought. Towards the end, we ended up sitting on the rigging of a boat out in the marina, watching the sun set. It was beautiful. The dying rays of the sun lit the clouds (what few there were) on fire, washing out the blue of the sky with oranges, yellows, and reds that reminded me of molten metal. Sitting there with Aldrea and enjoying that amazing, beautiful sight with her, that's what I believe to be the point when I realized that this wasn't just a fight for freedom that we had been drawn into; this was a fight for all that was still beautiful in the world, the galaxy, the universe. Not fighting meant never again being able to enjoy the beauty that filled every moment of life.

After the sun set, we just sat and stared at the stars as they came out. We didn't speak; words would have just ruined the calm, peaceful mood. It was like the calm before a storm, now that I think about it. Finally, Aldrea spoke up. ((We have been in morph for one-hundred-fifteen Earth minutes. We should demorph now, then remorph and return to our living quarters.))

I did a quick mental calculation. I came up with- ((We've been in morph for an hour and fifty-five minutes? Why didn't you let me know sooner that we were running out of time?)) I quickly flew down to the dock and began demorphing. Aldrea landed beside me, beginning to demorph as well.

((I felt it was not appropriate to disturb the mood. It was too peaceful. speaking up sooner would have cut short our mutual enjoyment of it.)) she said when she was in Andalite form once again. We then began to remorph back to seagull. As soon as I got the vision, however, I regretted not having a nocturnal morph; the seagull couldn't see very well in the dark.

((It would appear that this morph is not suited for nocturnal travel.)) Aldrea said.

I began to demorph. "Well, I'll walk home." I said once I had a human mouth.

Aldrea demorphed as well. ((I suppose I could also walk home. I shall see you tomorrow.)) she said, beginning to canter away, then stopping and flicking her tail forward in what I assumed was a 'come on' gesture. ((Are you not going to walk with me? The Andalite base is not too far away, and we could arrange for you to get transport home from there.))

"That's a good idea." I said, rushing to catch up to her. I had to stop to catch my breath; demorphing, then remorphing, then demorphing again in the space of a few minutes is not something I would recommend; it's extremely tiring.

Aldrea, however, did not seem to be fatigued. ((If you are tired, I could carry you on my back until you are ready to walk on your own again.)) she said sweetly.

"You're sure that's okay?" I asked.

((Yes. I can carry you for a brief time, at least.)) With that, she motioned for me to get on her back. I obliged, and we began walking to the Andalite base in silence. After about fifteen minutes, she said, ((I believe you can walk on your own now.))

I got off her back and began walking beside her. When we reached the Andalite base, Aldrea arranged for a transport to take me home.

That night, I went to sleep thinking of how I'd be willing to fight to the death for Earth and my friends.