The Garatron Chronicles

All non-original works should be posted here
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
Qoheleth
Warrior
Warrior

The Garatron Chronicles

Post by Qoheleth » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:50 am

Disclaimer: Me Qoheleth. She Applegate. She own Animorphs. Me no own Animorphs.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prologos

My name is Aximili-Esgarrouth-Isthill.

To a human, that probably does not sound like a name at all. Humans have many different kinds of names, but none like Aximili-Esgarrouth-Isthill. I am aware of this, but it is nonetheless my name – because I am not a human.

I am an Andalite. I am the only Andalite on Earth, unless you count War-Prince Alloran-Semitur-Corrass. And it is difficult to count him, because he is no longer his own Andalite, but the host of Visser Three.

Visser Three is a Yeerk. He is not the only Yeerk on Earth, though it would be well for Earth if he was, for the Yeerks do not have Earth’s best interest at heart. They are a vile race of parasitic worms, who exist only to control and enslave other races.

They have conquered the Gedds and the Hork-Bajir. They have persuaded the Taxxons to surrender themselves to them. They have for some time been slowly infiltrating the human race, attempting to corrupt it from within.

And, this morning, it became clear that they have moved against another species.

You see, this morning I and four of the young humans who fight the Yeerks with me moved against Visser Three in his feeding place. Since he infests an Andalite, he must eat as we do, and when he eats, he is vulnerable.

It was supposed to be a simple assassination. But we were prevented by the Visser’s personal guard – and by something else. A small, Andalite-like creature that could move almost faster than thought.

It was a Yeerk. A candidate for the Yeerks’ all-powerful Council of Thirteen, in fact. It described its host body as the newest of the Yeerks’ host species. And it gave it a name.

Garatron.

My human friends did not know what that meant, of course. They noticed that the creature looked very like an Andalite, but they did not worry very much about it. What concerned them was whether we could use the Council candidate to discredit Visser Three in the eyes of the Yeerk Empire – and, if so, whom we should choose to lead that mission, since our usual leader was not with us.

These things concerned me as well, of course. They did not, however, concern me nearly so much as the sight of that Garatron-Controller.

For thousands of years, Andalite parents had been urging their children to study the sciences «because we must be ready when the Garatrons return». Well, now the Garatrons had returned – and they were under the control of the Yeerks.

If the Yeerks could conquer the Garatrons – the Misborn – the bogeymen that had haunted Andalite nightmares for millennia…

Well, suffice it to say that I was disturbed. Disturbed enough, that evening, to forget the words to a ritual that I had performed a thousand times.

<From the rising of the sun to the setting, to its rising again,» I said, «I place what is sweet to… no, I place what is hard to remember with what is… no…>

<We place what is hard to endure with what is sweet to remember,> said a voice. I turned an eyestalk, and saw my friend Tobias alighting on a branch behind me.

<Ah, yes,> I said. <Thank you, Tobias. We place what is hard to endure with what is sweet to remember, and we find peace.>

<Amen,> said Tobias.

The two of us stood for a moment in silence, watching the last rays of Earth’s sun sink below the horizon. Then Tobias spoke.

<So, Ax,> he said, <what’s the deal with these Garatrons?>

I froze. <I beg your pardon?>

<Come on, Ax-man,> said Tobias. <Maybe you can fool the others, but you can’t fool me. When Marco asked if there was a relationship between Garatrons and Andalites, that wasn’t offense I saw on your face; that was terror.>

<Terror?> I said, attempting to laugh. <Why should I be terrified of the Garatrons?>

<I don’t know,> said Tobias. <Why don’t you tell me?>

He stared at me, and I felt myself begin to weaken. Tobias is what we Andalites call a nothlit: one who has spent more than two hours in the form of another species, and can no longer return to his natural form. In his case, the species is a kind of Earthly bird known as a red-tailed hawk – and one of the characteristics of red-tailed hawks is that their eyes are more penetrating than the eyes of nearly any other animal I know of. When a red-tailed hawk stares at you, you must be a much stronger person than I am to preserve your equanimity.

<Very well,> I said after sixteen seconds had elapsed. <I will tell you.>

And I told him everything I knew about the Garatrons. But then something unusual happened: after a while, I began to tell him things about the Garatrons that I did not know – that no Andalite, perhaps, had ever learned before.

How I came by this knowledge, I do not know. But I have set it down here, all the same, in hopes that someday some Andalite, or perhaps some human, will find it and learn from it, and be a little wiser for it in the end.

I have not, of course, set it down in the order that I told it to Tobias. To him it came out piece by piece, in response to a question he asked, or as an afterthought comment related to something else I had said. Here I have told it in the order that it happened – beginning in the Andalite year -14.7, as an Andalite scientist was performing a revolutionary experiment.
Last edited by Qoheleth on Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Re: The Garatron Chronicles

Post by capnnerefir » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:42 pm

First: glad you decided to join us. :mrgreen:

Second (and far more importantly): You've captured my interest. Or should I say recaptured it. I read the first bit of this on FFN, but real life caught up with me and I fell out of the habit. I'm glad to have the chance to join in again; and I'm glad someone's telling the story of the Garatrons and why they look so much like Andalites. *assumes listening position*

Elfangor
The Chee
The Chee

Post by Elfangor » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:49 pm

Well when i saw this thread i was wondering if i could even be bothered reading it. but I'm glad i did its awesome!!!
You all have guns
And you never put the safety on
And you all have plans,
To take it

Don't Take It

Ellimist
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Animorph: Jake

Post by Ellimist » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:56 pm

This is indeed very interesting. Looking forward to the next part. :)
Powered by chocolate and Dvorak

Qoheleth
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Qoheleth » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:33 pm

Prologos Deuteros

<I fail to see what you intend to prove, Scholar Falkrith,> said Nimavar-Povis-Alkati, Head of Science and Technology for the Andalite High Council. <It has repeatedly been mathematically demonstrated that matter cannot be transmitted through Zero-space.>

Falkrith-Ispadagar-Konin rolled all four of his eyes, as though despairing of ever making his fellow Andalites see reason. <Mathematically demonstrated, Master Nimavar?> he said. <How can a scientific fact ever be mathematically demonstrated? Sessagal-Junhyb-Eteri did not develop the theory of gravitation by writing "Gm1m2/r2" on a blackboard; she developed it by dropping weights from high places, and studying the motions of the moons. She did it, in short, by observing the universe – which is the only way to truly make any scientific discovery.>

<In an ideal world, that may well be true, Scholar Falkrith,> said Nimavar patiently, <but it seems somewhat impractical in this case. After all, a four-dimensional being can never directly perceive Zero-space.>

<Of course not,> said Falkrith, <but we can observe its effects on the universe we do know. We can measure the changes in the photons and neutrinos we send through low-level Z-space loops; we can examine the quantum nature of the light coming from QSO-1135; and then we can determine whether the reality affecting them is more like the non-dimensional singularity of a cone or the multi-dimensional "blossom" surrounding a volip particle.>

Nimavar nodded. <Yes, yes, Scholar Falkrith,> he said. <I am familiar with all the arguments you made in your paper. I confess, however, that they have as yet failed to convince me.>

<So I was told, Master Nimavar,> said Falkrith. <I can only hope that, when you see the thing actually occurring, you will find it rather more persuasive.>

Nimavar sighed. <Well, then, proceed,> he said. <Let me warn you, however, that, should your experiment fail, I will personally see to it that you will never have the opportunity to perform another.>

Falkrith cocked his head. <I had not realized that you harbored such a dislike for me, Master Nimavar,> he said.

<Nor did I,> said Nimavar, <until you called me away from my daughter’s wedding ceremony to witness a scientific impossibility.>

<Ah,> said Falkrith with a smile. <Well, perhaps if we hurry, you can present her with the first object to travel through Z-space as a wedding token. Now, then, would you care to examine the apparatus?>

Nimavar glanced at the mechanical monstrosity suspended over the river, and frowned. <That is your apparatus?> he said.

<It is,> said Falkrith.

<May I ask why it is obstructing the flow of a major waterway?>

Falkrith frowned, and seemed uncertain for the first time during the interview. <Yes, I was concerned about that also,> he said, <but the nature of the reactions involved required a fairly rapid cooling system, and the Ilarda was the only nearby river that flowed swiftly enough.>

<I see,> said Nimavar. <And you believe, of course, that the discovery that you are certain you will make is more important than whether several hundred Andalites living alongside the Ilarda have clean water for the next few weeks – to say nothing of the therant and quilfin trees.>

<Yes, Master Nimavar,> said Falkrith, <that is precisely my belief.>

<Has anyone ever told you, Scholar Falkrith,> said Nimavar, <that you are a hubristic fool who should never have been allowed to receive Council funding?>

<Oh, yes,> said Falkrith. <You, my sister, my old physics teacher, approximately one colleague every week…>

Nimavar stamped his right hind hoof in his trademark gesture of impatience. <Enough of this,> he said. <Demonstrate your machine, Scholar Falkrith.>

<Gladly, Master Nimavar,> said Falkrith. <If you will keep your stalk eyes focused on the palladium cube atop the transmitter pyramid, and your main eyes on my hands…>

With practiced speed, he guided his fourteen fingers through an elaborate series of motions on the computer terminal resting on the riverbank. The apparatus began to whir and hum, and a large, crystalline pyramid, on which rested a shining, gray-white cube, began to glow with a piercing white light.

Falkrith leaped from the riverside and handed Nimavar a pair of concave lenses made from blue glass. <Don these optic shields and shut your main eyes, Master Nimavar,> he said. <The transmitter pyramid will soon become too bright to safely view unprotected.>

Nimavar complied, and the landscape took on a subdued lapis tone in his eyes – all save the crystalline pyramid, which retained much the same piercing whiteness it had had before. Whatever muting of its light had been accomplished by the shields was negated by the rapidity with which it was gaining in luminous intensity.

<In approximately 7.3 seconds,> said Falkrith, <the portal will open and transport the cube to the receptacle pyramid. The process will take less than three-thousandths of a second, so do not avert your eyes.>

This was easier said than done. The glowing pyramid was now so bright that it was physically painful to look at it, even with the optic shields. Nonetheless, Nimavar forced his stalk eyes to focus on it; if there was trickery involved in this demonstration, he wanted to see it at work, and if there wasn’t, he scarcely wanted to go down in history as the Andalite who looked away during the first demonstration of Z-space mass transfer.

Then, for the briefest instant, he thought he saw a ripple in the air just above the pyramid – "an archway of nothingness", as he would famously describe it in a letter to Kirath-Monessim-Shapeel some days later. At the same moment, the palladium cube gave off a peculiar shimmer and disappeared – only to reappear, an instant later, on the somewhat smaller pyramid at the other end of the apparatus.

That was all. The glow of the transmitter pyramid faded into nothingness, the rumble of the machinery slowed to a halt, and Nimavar-Povis-Alkati, Head of Science and Technology for the High Andalite Council, ripped the optic shields from his stalk eyes and stared at Falkrith-Ispadagar-Konin as a child stares at a magician. <How did you do that, Scholar Falkrith?> he breathed.

<Through an application of special harmonics on the fifth-inversal sub-space level,> said Falkrith dryly. <Did you not read my paper, Master Nimavar?>

<But, by the Bodiless Powers, man,> said Nimavar, <this means the end of the lunar barrier. This means an Andalite race that can extend itself across the stars. This means…>

<A great deal for every person on this planet,> Falkrith agreed. <You see now, I trust, why I judged it worth your while to call you away from your daughter’s wedding ceremony so that you could see it.>

Nimavar bowed his head. <My apologies, Scholar Falkrith,> he said. <I should not have made such a to-do over your request. It was merely that I am an old man, and that she is my only child.> He sighed. <You, who have never had a daughter, cannot fully understand – but I would almost rather that the Andalite race should never leave this world than that Ethalan should be disappointed today.>

Falkrith, indeed, did not understand this. Though he was capable of heroic passion where his work was concerned, in the area of ordinary affection he was as ignorant as any human sociopath, and the notion that some young female’s marriage festivities were more important than the exploration of the universe (for so he understood Nimavar to be suggesting) seemed to him supremely contemptible. Andalite courtesy, however, prevented him from expressing this idea in thought-speak; he said, instead, <A noble sentiment, Master Nimavar. Indeed, there is little point in preparing a glorious future for the race if the race itself were to have no future – and therefore the reproductive union that your daughter is accomplishing is as important as anything we have done beside this river today.>

<Yes,> said Nimavar slowly, his tone suggesting that that was not quite what he had meant. <And since you value that… ah… reproductive union so highly, perhaps you would do me the honor of accompanying me when I return?>

<I would be honored, Master Nimavar,> said Falkrith.

He trotted over to his mechanism and removed the palladium cube from the receptacle pyramid, and the two of them turned and followed the Ilarda’s current towards the ceremonial space – oblivious to the invisible, matter-contorting residuum that was leeching off the mechanism and mixing itself with the river’s water.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The wedding of Ethalan-Povis-Tilagren, daughter of the Andalite High Council’s Head of Science and Technology, to the young botanist Hilanal-Sitek-Parshini was, unsurprisingly, a rigidly formal affair. (If any error, or any abbreviation, was made in the ancient ritual, this would have been leaped upon by Nimavar’s rivals as an indication of a slipshod or imprecise temperament – and, while this could have been overlooked in the political or artistic departments of the Council, it would have indelibly marred a Head of Science’s reputation.) Since a formal Andalite wedding is nearly three hours long, and since Andalites do not like to stay still for extended periods of time, this meant that the crowd of idle sensation-hunters had greatly dwindled by the time the ceremony reached its central moment: the mutual dipping of hooves into the water.

<Our destinies are intertwined, as the leaves of an alaksha,> said Hilanal, pressing his right hand to Ethalan’s left.

<Our blood is to be mingled, as the waters of the Ree and the Sikarfa,> said Ethalan, pressing her right hand to Hilanal’s left in turn.

<Henceforth,> said Hilanal, <our eight hooves shall be as four; they shall tread the same paths, mark the same sethlars, (1) and drink from the same streams, till the both of us have departed from life.>

The two of them touched their forehooves to each other, then turned and dipped their hooves into the swift-flowing river. Ethalan let out a little sigh of pleasure as she felt the waters of the Ilarda flow through her leg, cold and bracing, sealing the bond between herself and her beloved – and, she thought with a slight pang of shame, legitimizing the young Andalite growing inside her.

For there was one respect in which the wedding of Ethalan and Hilanal deviated from custom. Typically, Andalite weddings were held on the first day of the mating season, but the exigencies of Nimavar’s duties had made a three-day delay necessary if he was to attend. Ethalan and Hilanal, who had never been in close contact during mating time, had taken unfortunate advantage of this delay – and, when Ethalan had performed her routine medical scan that morning, she had learned that their union had borne fruit.

She had told no-one, not even Hilanal or her father, and she did not expect that they would ever learn. After all, even the most observant gossip would think nothing of a pregnancy thirteen months and thirty-three days long, rather than the usual fourteen months of an Andalite gestation period.

She had no notion of how her brief drink from the river Ilarda would affect her child.

Nor did she begin to conceive how that child, and a few dozen others like him, would one day change the course of Andalite history forever.
(1)

<Mark the same what?> said Tobias.

<
Sethlars,> said Ax. <At that time in history, an Andalite warrior would signal triumph over a fallen enemy by dipping his hoof in the enemy's blood and leaving a bloody hoofprint, called a sethlar, on his forehead. The implication in the wedding ritual is that the groom's enemies and the bride's have become the same.>

<Ah.>
Last edited by Qoheleth on Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Elfangor
The Chee
The Chee

Post by Elfangor » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:04 pm

This is awesome i cant wait for the next chapter.
You all have guns
And you never put the safety on
And you all have plans,
To take it

Don't Take It

Ellimist
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Animorph: Jake

Post by Ellimist » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:55 pm

I'd agree with Elfy; this is totally awesome! Keep it coming.