Megamorphs #5: A New Foe (War! What is it good for? Fun!!!!)

All non-original works should be posted here
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Re: Megamorphs #5: A New Foe (War! What is it good for? Fun!!!!)

Post by capnnerefir » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:36 am

Drodegasm is a hard one to write. I have no idea what I'm going to do with it. I liked the idea of the Drode messing with books/movies/TV shows that I find boring, but it's a story that needs inspiration and lately, I haven't felt it. I guess I can always go and mess with Harry Potter...

capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator

Post by capnnerefir » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:53 pm

John3Sobieski wrote: have a few hook-ups, though. If I remember correctly, Loren was never told that Elfangor was her husband. Tobias and Jake had a coversation about that, and Tobias decided that it would be stupid to say, "Yeah, you had a great husband, but he's dead."
True, in the books, this was never done. But in my fics, its public (thought not common) knowledge that Elfangor was Tobias's father; so Loren found out eventually.
John3Sobieski wrote:Another thing was the battle for the Hork-Bajir Homeworld. The inclination I got from the strategic/tactical situation was that the ground was completly occupied by Yeerk troops, but there was a guerrilla war against them.
That was the case in book 58. However, with the massive losses the Yeerks suffered at the end of that book, the Anti-Yeerk forces were able to gain more influence.
John3Sobieski wrote:If local forces had joined the battle, it probably would have been on the side of the Yeerks.
By local forces, I meant the free, uninfested Hork-bajir; the ones who were fighting against the Yeerks the whole time. I guess I didn't make that clear; I'll have to edit it.
John3Sobieski wrote:One very interesting thing was to see the influences in your writing. I remember asking you about where the Andalite ships are during the Reliquary-Yeerk space battles, and saying that the Dome Ships by Earth are pretty much on a ceremonial duty. And of course there was the thing about the Domes. I don't know if you put them in there conciously, but I think you did. You seem to still be trying to win the debate about whether or not Captain Nerefir should have separated the Dome from the battle section. If you remember, I suggested putting the Domes in Gas Giants orbiting remote systems, not behind local moons.
The thing about the domes was indeed intentional and very thought-out. There's certainly merit in your suggestion that the Andalites should jettison the domes. I still hold that the situations were different and that Captain Nerefir would have been foolish to get rid of his dome before the battle for Earth started. But this was, as I said, a different situation. I used moons instead of gas giants because it's much better to stick close to the planet than to fly off to the nearest gas giant.
John3Sobieski wrote:I would love to see a story with conventional human forces engaging alien enemies, but that will probably be left to me and the EEF.
Yeah, that's going to have to be your department. you know I don't do "conventional" anything ;)

I'm glad you liked this (and the new addition to my sig).

Fizban
Civilian
Favourite Animorph: Rachel

Post by Fizban » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:37 pm

Well, I've just finished reading your line of fics, and they are pretty dang good. I read through them as fast as I did the origingals so that probably says something. It's long enough to have taken a life of it's own now, and the only thing I would contest is the constant "Chinese history lesson" as Rachel said. The G-Man appearance and what I believe was probably a reference to a Dynasty Warriors attack combo are easy enough to laugh off since they were fairly singular and Half-Life is pretty well known, and Sun Tsu is quoted all the time by people I wouldn't expect, but having Tobias retell large passages of something I'm pretty sure most people aren't familiar with feels a bit...campy. It wouldn't be as good for joke fodder, but I'd go with more of the Howler memory aspect for tactical knowledge. Still, the other stuff is largely entrenched by now, so it doesn't much matter what I think.

Other than that, the whole thing is excellent, and I couldn't ignore it if I wanted too. I'm a bit confused as to why you took Rachel out of the fight. You said in the note before that book that you realized the author wanted her gone, but even if you hadn't before, the fact that you brought her back seems to imply that you really don't/shouldn't care what she thinks. Trying to stay true to the originals is good, but It doesn't make sense to go back on what you did, as another poster mentioned in the thread. Just wondering why you went that way. While I can't say I like everything about where Rachel has ended up, and it has been "done before", I think it's a great compromise for reassuring readers that she won't be going anywhere. You've already brought her back to life and since she's not on the front line it would require one of those d**k author moves to just kill her off again. Of course you already know this and I'm sure you won't say one thing or the other in order to keep us guessing if you will pull it, and that's how it should be. In any case, it feels like Rachel's kind of been retired: she's off the front lines and while she still worries constantly about Tobias and the others, she's essentially being given a break. She has what she should have had at the end of the last war if she hadn't died, and that's what I like about it.

As for other characters: I don't think you're as bad at writing Cassie as you think. David's return, while being accepted a little too quickly, was still great. Jeanne and Marco are awesome. Marco's memory loss is a bit annoying, but he hadn't had anything new happen for a while, so I could see the story's need for it, and it acts as a great catalyst for his relationship with Jeanne. I don't think James really had enough built up for us to relate properly to his own book, but at least now we have some more to go on for him. Al was great, kinda like a mini-Ax, but with enough of his own stuff that he doesn't seem like a clone, pretty much like you'd expect him to be. Jake's going along pretty much how you'd expect, especially considering that he's been out of action for a while. The thing between Guraff and Tobias in some ways seems a little wrong, since there's no way it would have come up in the original books, but on the other hand, it's still pretty awesome. The only thing I think it's missing is a little more worry on Tobias' part that he might lose and leave Rachel alone, but it looks like the next book from his or her viewpoint is going to have a lot of that kind of stuff. The Drode's great too, and now that Jake's back I expect we'll be getting some of the objections to Guraff and the Drode that we haven't been. Alloran S.C. was colder than I would have expected, he seemed mostly just tired at the end of the books, but nothing to complain about. I think the only one I've left out is Santorelli. His whole situation was a little rocky at first. but now that we have the whole story, I think he turned out well.

As for the story as a whole, it's good. Bringing the other superbeings into light and revealing parts of the game is one of the major holes left in the original books. The story has definitely moved away from it's roots, but not in a bad way, and the characters aren't being destroyed in the trip. I can't help but think the name Azmaveth is probably from something, but I don't know what it is, so any hidden or overt meanings there have slipped past me, and should probably stay that way. The books ended basically on the loss of war, they've moved on to living with and overcoming the war, which is a nice change. Bringing back everyone that died is nice, and since everything else is so farked up, it somehow doesn't invalidate their deaths. The fight has moved on to ridiculously large stakes, but we've been given (or at least the character have) the impression that the powers that be are on their side if they can just deal with what is.

So, keep doing what you're doing, and I'll be waiting for the next installment. Since I read them all at once I don't know how long it usually is between them, but I guess I'll find out.

Edit: Didn't remember this for a bit, but wanted to comment. You've drastically reduced the amount of background rehashing and morphing descriptions lately. It's not really a bad thing, and if you want to rationalize it makes sense for them to drop the pretense after an entire war of it, but you can't deny that it changes the feel of the books somewhat. Maybe just having the newer animorphs like Jeanne, David, James, and Al, who haven't spent a whole war morphing already going through the descriptive motions.

capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator

Post by capnnerefir » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:41 am

Whew...long one there. :mrgreen:

Someone else once questioned all the Chinese history; more specifically, since it's kind of obscure, why Tobias knows so much of it. Later, though, she gave me a better reason for it than I had. Recall that Santorelli's father fought in Korea (or was it Vietnam? I'm starting to forget); anyhow, it was in one of those Asian countries. There, he became fascinated with the history; more specifically, that of the Chinese, the real power in Asia. He passed this interest down to his son, Santorelli; who then passed it on to his stepson, Tobias.
That said, maybe I'll start disguising Chinese history lessons as Howler memories; I think that would satisfy everyone. Then again, Tobias wouldn't necessarily want them to know he's been delving into the Howler memories... hmm...
Fizban wrote:I'm a bit confused as to why you took Rachel out of the fight.
Actually, I'm not entirely sure myself. I suppose part of it was that I wanted to make some room for some more characters. Also, I was trying to obey KAA's unwritten rule that Tobias must be majorly screwed every five books or so. Fear not, though; Rachel will be back in action...um...well, before the end, certainly. And she'll still be present for as much of the important stuff as possible.

I do promise, though, not to kill Rachel. The baby, though, is another matter... I haven't decided what to do with that kid yet. I'm thinking I might -no, I'm not going to give that one away.

I figured I had to do something new with Marc. I know that there's a lot of memory loss in the series (between Rachel and Loren and the crazy lady in the woods and Jeanne and people I"m sure I'm forgetting) and that it can get kind of annoying to read; honestly, it's a little annoying to write, too. But I promise that it will serve some constructive purpose before the end of the series; even if that purpose is just furthering his relationship with Jeanne.
Fizban wrote:The thing between Guraff and Tobias in some ways seems a little wrong, since there's no way it would have come up in the original books,
Yeah, that wouldn't have come up with the original Tobias; or even if he had just remained another soldier under Jake. But I think Tobias has changed enough (and believably so) that it works now; indeed, his relationship with Guraff is only furthering that change in him.
Fizban wrote:The Drode's great too
Yay! I'm glad at least someone is warming up to that wrinkly purple weirdo. But I've got some plans for him in the future...}:)> type plans.

You will indeed start to see more objections to Tobias's association with mankind's enemies (i.e. Guraff and the Drode), and there will be consequences.
Fizban wrote: Alloran S.C. was colder than I would have expected, he seemed mostly just tired at the end of the books, but nothing to complain about.
The way I saw it, Alloran (Alloran S.C. will always be refered to as Alloran; Alloran S.F. will usually be Al) has been around since the beginning of the war. He's done things he regrets and spent a lot of time as the Visser's host. He's just sick of it all. But he can't just sit by while Elfangor's kid needs his help. And when he saw a chance to get some revenge on Yeerks, he loved it. Even old and tired, I always thought he'd be vengeful.
Fizban wrote:I can't help but think the name Azmaveth is probably from something, but I don't know what it is, so any hidden or overt meanings there have slipped past me, and should probably stay that way.
Azmaveth is a reference to several things. I first came across the name when playing Dungeons and Dragons (let's all pretend to be surprised), and it's the name of the main character in the book I'm trying to publish (and he looks a lot like the character, too). The name (I think I mentioned this in the fics) is an old Hebrew name meaning "Strong as Death"; I figured it fit.
Fizban wrote:Edit: Didn't remember this for a bit, but wanted to comment. You've drastically reduced the amount of background rehashing and morphing descriptions lately. It's not really a bad thing, and if you want to rationalize it makes sense for them to drop the pretense after an entire war of it, but you can't deny that it changes the feel of the books somewhat. Maybe just having the newer animorphs like Jeanne, David, James, and Al, who haven't spent a whole war morphing already going through the descriptive motions.

A good point. I figured we'd all be bored with it by now, but I probably should have the younger/newer Animorphs talk about it more.

Thank you for taking all the time to read these and for keeping track of your thoughts so well. I greatly appreciate it.

Fizban
Civilian

Post by Fizban » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:53 am

capnnerefir wrote:Whew...long one there. :mrgreen:

Someone else once questioned all the Chinese history; more specifically, since it's kind of obscure, why Tobias knows so much of it. Later, though, she gave me a better reason for it than I had. Recall that Santorelli's father fought in Korea (or was it Vietnam? I'm starting to forget); anyhow, it was in one of those Asian countries. There, he became fascinated with the history; more specifically, that of the Chinese, the real power in Asia. He passed this interest down to his son, Santorelli; who then passed it on to his stepson, Tobias.
That said, maybe I'll start disguising Chinese history lessons as Howler memories; I think that would satisfy everyone. Then again, Tobias wouldn't necessarily want them to know he's been delving into the Howler memories... hmm...
Retcon/editing in the part about Santorelli nudging him in that direction would do nicely, and with some more support and background on Santorelli and the war, it would make the time warp battle seem less forced as well.
capnnerefir wrote:Actually, I'm not entirely sure myself. I suppose part of it was that I wanted to make some room for some more characters. Also, I was trying to obey KAA's unwritten rule that Tobias must be majorly screwed every five books or so. Fear not, though; Rachel will be back in action...um...well, before the end, certainly. And she'll still be present for as much of the important stuff as possible.
Making room for new characters makes sense. It's not really screwing over Tobias if he planned it though, at least not till she finds out....that's going to be painful. I figured you'd be keeping her close and get her back in the fight for the end.
capnnerefir wrote:I do promise, though, not to kill Rachel. The baby, though, is another matter... I haven't decided what to do with that kid yet. I'm thinking I might -no, I'm not going to give that one away.
:shock:
capnnerefir wrote:I figured I had to do something new with Marco. I know that there's a lot of memory loss in the series (between Rachel and Loren and the crazy lady in the woods and Jeanne and people I"m sure I'm forgetting) and that it can get kind of annoying to read; honestly, it's a little annoying to write, too. But I promise that it will serve some constructive purpose before the end of the series; even if that purpose is just furthering his relationship with Jeanne.
It's served enough purpose already even if you don't have major plans for it. I never noticed enough memory loss to be annoyed aside from the first Megamorphs, which I hadn't read my first time through and just blindsided me.
capnnerefir wrote: Even old and tired, I always thought he'd be vengeful.
Not surprising at all with his history.
capnnerefir wrote:Azmaveth is a reference to several things. I first came across the name when playing Dungeons and Dragons (let's all pretend to be surprised), and it's the name of the main character in the book I'm trying to publish (and he looks a lot like the character, too). The name (I think I mentioned this in the fics) is an old Hebrew name meaning "Strong as Death"; I figured it fit.
Come to think of it, you did explain the name in the fic. Well that just shows how fast I was reading.
capnnerefir wrote:Thank you for taking all the time to read these and for keeping track of your thoughts so well. I greatly appreciate it.
And thank you for reading my thoughts and responding so thoroughly. Knowing that you have your own book on the way makes it even easier to accept them, as you can now be thought of as another ghostwriter. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a paper to write that I've been putting off since I started reading *shifty eyes*.

Zophar
Prince
Prince
Favourite Animorph: Ax

Post by Zophar » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:55 am

Fizban wrote:Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a paper to write that I've been putting off since I started reading *shifty eyes*.
How long have you been putting it off, New Years?!

Fizban
Civilian

Post by Fizban » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:45 pm

Zophar wrote:
Fizban wrote:Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a paper to write that I've been putting off since I started reading *shifty eyes*.
How long have you been putting it off, New Years?!
No, just a week or so. When I read, I read. Full stop, don't bother calling, I'll see you in a week kinda thing.

das1234
Warrior
Warrior

Post by das1234 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:19 am

I liked it. It was quite long and therefore took me quite long to read, and also i sometimes thought that it was more space-battle than actual animorphs, but that doesn't have to be a bad thing. In fact, i like space-battles. Also it was surprisingly easy for me to follow all the locations at once, which is really a good thing.
I think that putin wouldn't be the one you'd get on the phone as leader of russia right now, as another one was elected (I'm not 100% sure what putin does right now). Also i'm starting to dislike the way crayak becomes the good one and the ellimist becomes just one random idiot who by denying a penalty works against the animorphs.
But overall really good and really long stuff with many space battles.
btw alloran's appearance kicked ass.
This isn't drooling, n00b! It's art!

capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator

Post by capnnerefir » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:23 pm

das1234 wrote:I liked it. It was quite long and therefore took me quite long to read, and also i sometimes thought that it was more space-battle than actual animorphs, but that doesn't have to be a bad thing. In fact, i like space-battles. Also it was surprisingly easy for me to follow all the locations at once, which is really a good thing.
I'm glad you were able to follow all of it. I hoped I made it easy enough to tell what was happening when and where, although I can't blame anyone who was confused. This one was indeed more space-battle oriented and the usual Animorphs stuff. I considered making it more typical Animorph stuff (say, having them perform some commando missions against the Yeerks), but decided against it because I thought this worked better.
das1234 wrote:I think that putin wouldn't be the one you'd get on the phone as leader of russia right now, as another one was elected (I'm not 100% sure what putin does right now).
Technically, a man named Dmitry Medvedev is the leader of Russia right now. But in reality, it's still Putin (the Prime Minister, as I recall) pulling the strings.
das1234 wrote:Also i'm starting to dislike the way crayak becomes the good one and the ellimist becomes just one random idiot who by denying a penalty works against the animorphs.
Perhaps I should look into doing something about that, then.
das1234 wrote:But overall really good and really long stuff with many space battles.
btw alloran's appearance kicked ass.
Thanks (for both of those points). I'm glad you liked Alloran's entrance.

Elfangor
The Chee
The Chee

Post by Elfangor » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:00 am

That was awesome i loved this part

Not long ago in a galaxy not so far far away
You all have guns
And you never put the safety on
And you all have plans,
To take it

Don't Take It