Babylon 5

Liked the new episode of Heroes/Lost? Post about it here.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Babylon 5

Post by capnnerefir » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:56 am

Damn I love this show. I know I'm a little late - I only started watching it in April, so it's long over now - but I am so glad I found this show.

This is one of the best Sci-Fi stoies I've ever seen. It has an intricate plot that seems as though everything actually was planned out ahead of time. This show sets things up in one season and doesn't do anything with them until several seasons later and when they do it, it blows you mind.

It isn't afraid to shake up its status quo, often making sweeping changes to the universe of the show (instead of trying to put everything back to normal by the end of the episode like most TV shows).

I'm extremely impressed by the characters. They have actual depth, actual emotions. And actual, real character development. They actually learn and grow from their experiences. They're dynamic and exciting, and relatively original. I think G'Kar is one of my favorite characters ever, and an incredible example of character development that other writers should look to for an example.

Y'all need to watch this show.

capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Babylon 5

Post by capnnerefir » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:38 am

Well, I finished watching this show.

It really was one of the greatest Sci-Fi epics I've ever seen. Probably one of the best I ever will see. I was actually kind of shocked to see how closely parts of it mirrored my future plans for my Animorphs fan-fics. It was actually kind of eerie........

The show is kind of hard to find now, but fortunately the fanbase is mobilizing as of late, trying to get something to happen with it.

I'm really going to miss this show. Y'all need to watch it.

ExAstrisScientia
Gedd

Post by ExAstrisScientia » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:34 pm

I have only watched the first season of Babylon 5 so far, but in in terms of space station drams, I prefer the portrayal of being on a multicultural space station in that to in Star Trek Deep Space Nine. Admittedly, it has been some time since I last watched Deep Space Nine but if I remember correctly, the focus was mostly on the the Starfleet crew and only occasionally examined what life was like on the space station itself. It seemed to me that it could have easily taken place on a starship like the Enterprise and there would have been only minimal changes to most of the stories.

In contrast, Babylon 5 is about several different races living in close proximity that all generally either dislike or distrust each other but they have no choice but to work together as the whole purpose of the station was to establish relations with the other groups through diplomacy and trade. There is constant tension with each group trying to achieve what is in their best interest. It added a sense of unpredictability to the episodes because it was rarely immediately obvious if each group was going to follow their instincts or try to work together to solve a common problem.

All of that said, I still really like both shows. Deep Space Nine was fun to watch and what I have seen so far of Babylon 5 is awesome.

capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator

Post by capnnerefir » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:20 am

I think that if you keep folllwing Babylon 5, you'll love it. One of the things I love most about it is the way the characters -and races as a whole - change and develop over time as a result of their exposure to each other.