The big bang theory

Liked the new episode of Heroes/Lost? Post about it here.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
dr.giggles
Prince
Prince
Favourite Animorph: Ax

The big bang theory

Post by dr.giggles » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:39 am

Is anybody here watching it.
14:51:39) dr.giggles commits suicide
(14:51:49) ChatBot: dr.giggles is now known as (dead).

TF.
Poke'mon Master
Poke'mon Master
Location: We can't tell you who we are. Or where we live. It's too risky... (Australia)

Re: The big bang theory

Post by TF. » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:10 pm

I've watched the first 3 seasons, and it was fairly amusing. Not something I'll go back to now I'm finished but it was sort of nice while it lasted.
Image Image Image Image

Amlyn2003
Gedd
Favourite Animorph: Rachel

Post by Amlyn2003 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:12 am

I love the show! I even got my husband watching it, which it is not the norm for him to watch lol my 2 year old loves it too

TF.
Poke'mon Master
Poke'mon Master
Location: We can't tell you who we are. Or where we live. It's too risky... (Australia)

Post by TF. » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:06 am

I've noticed that quite a few of the presumably 'funny' comments made by the nerdy protagonists aren't actually all that clever or funny. For instance, Sheldon points out at one stage that tomatos are a fruit not a vegetable. This is followed by the laugh track, just like every other reference to intelligence. Surely this is not comedy. I've also noticed that there aren't very many genuine 'nerds' that enjoy it. Quasi-nerds (anyone who stays in school past 16) laugh at all the relevant points but I suspect that it might only be out of relief for not being in such a situation. But mostly, it's just not much of a show.
Image Image Image Image

Sassy_Cat
Admiral
Admiral
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Post by Sassy_Cat » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:53 pm

I love that series =).
"Don't think. Thinking is the enemy of creativity. It's self-conscious, and anything self-conscious is lousy. You can't try to do things. You simply must do things."
- Ray Bradbury

My amazing blog- http://yasreadyas.blogspot.com/

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Post by Tobias_Marco » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:16 pm

<I have been told that I 'have to watch it' and have even been called 'a Sheldon Cooper want to be' I had to laugh at that because I have been this way sense 1987 AT LEAST, long before the character of Sheldon Cooper existed (please note that yes the actor who plays him had been born by that point the character did not.).>
True education, true science, true religion is the search for truth.
Matthew 28:16-20, John 3:14-20

Derin
Gedd

Post by Derin » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:03 am

Tobias_Marco wrote:<I have been told that I 'have to watch it' and have even been called 'a Sheldon Cooper want to be' I had to laugh at that because I have been this way sense 1987 AT LEAST, long before the character of Sheldon Cooper existed (please note that yes the actor who plays him had been born by that point the character did not.).>
Sheldon Cooper is a by-now-extremely-Flanderised caricature of autism quirks for the audience to laugh at (but they make sure to point out he's "not crazy" on a regular basis, presumably to make laughing at him okay). You're not missing much; the show has very few jokes in it.

Ramona
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Ramona » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:40 am

Sheldon Cooper is a by-now-extremely-Flanderised caricature of autism quirks for the audience to laugh at (but they make sure to point out he's "not crazy" on a regular basis, presumably to make laughing at him okay). You're not missing much; the show has very few jokes in it.
I would like to to point out that all the main characters on the show by now are extremely-Flanderised caricature to whatever caricature they were first presented as for the audience to laugh at. It's not just Sheldon who got that treatment even though he's the only one you ever really hear about being flanderised in the latter scenes. And people wonder why the writers don't want to officially say Sheldon has asperger's. Sorry, Derin, you probably only mentioned Sheldon because of what Tobias_Marco said. I'm just tired of people acting like he's the only character to get flanderised in the later seasons.

Also, in comedy, all personality traits are exaggerated for comedic purposes. Whether the comedic purposes succeed is another thing entirely but most of the time, comedies have exaggerated characters. Frankly, I think the earlier seasons succeed in that enough for me to watch it as a go-to show I don't have to think and can just wind down about. I think the very last season I watch was 7 and that had some alright episodes in it but it has definitely passed it's prime.
Look at me. I am your own nightmare....Okay, I'm not, I'm just some random on the internet that couldn't think of a witty line. Humour me?