Any anime nerds / otakus out here?

Liked the new episode of Heroes/Lost? Post about it here.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
Nykesutre
Warrior
Warrior
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Re: Any anime nerds / otakus out here?

Post by Nykesutre » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:56 pm

I now like Vampire Knight, Claymore and High School of the Dead :D Zombies FTW
<Passions and emotions set off the reaction. You must try to eliminate the emotions.>

TF.
Poke'mon Master
Poke'mon Master
Location: We can't tell you who we are. Or where we live. It's too risky... (Australia)

Post by TF. » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:23 am

Hi again. I've got a friend who collects these sorts of shows but he's been saying some stuff that seems silly to me- such as that dubbed anime is terrible.

What are your opinions on 'dubbed' versus 'subbed' anime? (for those of us who don't speak Japanese)
Image Image Image Image

nomadsland
Commander
Commander
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Post by nomadsland » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:29 am

Personally, I much prefer subbed anime to dubbed, mostly because the original voice actors are a better match for the characters. Plus, dubbed versions often censor and change certain aspects of the show (Sailor Moon and Yugioh come to mind) which are not deemed wholesome enough to show on English-speaking tv networks (ie cross-dressing, guns, cursing, etc). And in an attempt to better connect with the English-speaking audience (or at least that's what I assume is the reasoning), the translators usually have cringe-inducing, narmtastic dialogue with really strange and sometimes awkward idioms/phrases. Admittedly, some of the more adult-oriented dubbed animes are pretty decent in terms of voice actors and dialogue, but I prefer the original Japanese. I also just really love the Japanese language. It sounds so cool and often enhances the show for me.
Launch forth into the deep

Allons-y!

TF.
Poke'mon Master
Poke'mon Master
Location: We can't tell you who we are. Or where we live. It's too risky... (Australia)

Post by TF. » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:47 pm

Fair enough. I mostly get a headache when I've been reading tiny subtitles for a couple of hours.

On top of that, has anyone seen Gunslinger Girl? I was expecting it to be dreadful when I saw the name on my hard drive but it turned out to have some really solid character development that worked perfectly.
Image Image Image Image

nomadsland
Commander
Commander

Post by nomadsland » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:58 am

I've been meaning to check out that series for some time now. I was going to read the manga, but my library only has volumes 3, 4, and 5 and then I keep forgetting to look it up online. I'll get to it...eventually.

Allons-y!

TF.
Poke'mon Master
Poke'mon Master

Post by TF. » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:30 pm

It's all online for free, though I haven't really looked too far into it. And the 2nd series (tv) looks pretty bad.
Image Image Image Image

Wulfstar
Gedd
Favourite Animorph: Jake

Post by Wulfstar » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:13 pm

:clap2: Ahhh, well I am a very big anime nerd you could say, once I get hooked on a series or story I literally become a huge fan of it. I have watched a lot of anime and read a lot of manga, so I know like over hundred of anime's out there, surely more. I watch all of my anime on animefuel.com, youtube, or funimation.com, or of course buy them when I have the chance. I got really into anime when toonami (R.I.P) :cry: was still around.

But these are my top 20 favorite's (Not a specific order):
1. Dragonball Z
2. DnAngel
3. Mushishi
4. Samurai Champloo
5. Blade of Heaven
6. Hikaru No Go
7. Cross Game
8. One Piece
9. Outlaw Star
10. Cowboy Bepop
11. Last Exile
12. Witch Hunter Robin
13. Needless
14. Trinity Blood
15. Wolf's Rain
16. Dot.Hack
17. Death Note
18. Samurai 7
19. Shaman King
20. Inyuyasha
"Venture into that of the unknown only to discover what is to be known for though we hold to fears it is merely an obstacle that one must surpass to truly overcome and seek that which drives us, truth."

nomadsland
Commander
Commander

Post by nomadsland » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:26 pm

Oh, Toonami. That was my first exposure to anime, too. :)

Allons-y!

bogaboga
Gedd
Favourite Animorph: Jake

Post by bogaboga » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:38 pm

ah Toonami, I was SO fascinated by the weird 'asian sounding language' that played in the end of tenchi the first time I watched it..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCAX4cgszCU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TF.
Poke'mon Master
Poke'mon Master

Post by TF. » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:38 am

I never had Toonami but I did see a bit of Animax while overseas- 24/7 anime. And, as an update to my anime viewing, I've grouped the following.

Bad: Code Geass; Cowboy Bebop; Ergo Proxy; Pokemon after season 4 (ie after generation 2);

Good: Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Full Metal Panic; Gunslinger Girl; Ghost in a Shell; Pokemon; Dragonball;

*Absolutely brilliant at times. :D

And I've been going with dubbed versions mostly, because I'm too lazy to read subtitles. :P
Image Image Image Image