Any anime nerds / otakus out here?

Liked the new episode of Heroes/Lost? Post about it here.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
Ymabob
Civilian
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:24 pm
Gender: [Male][/Male]
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Any anime nerds / otakus out here?

Post by Ymabob » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:10 pm

Hello, hopefully fellow anime viewers.

I was wondering if we might get a conversation going about favorite animes, maybe posting some top 3 / top 5 / top 10 lists etc. and maybe include a short description behind, basically stating the major element of the series.
Manga's are of course welcome as well.

As i've watched a lot of anime, i've been through most of the genre's already, so if you want i might be able to recommend an anime or two if you're interested. Try it, it's awesome!

I would've listed all of what i've seen but that would be over a 150 series, so it's a bit too much.
I'm not sure if i can even pick a top 10, but i'll try!

Don't consider this as a 1-10 list, because i can't really divide them into numbered positions, i love them all!

WARNING! THERE MIGHT BE SPOILERS : P

Top 10:

1. Bleach (Death God's and a human gaining death god abilities)

2. Naruto / Shippuuden (A young brat aspiring to become the greatest ninja of his village, facing many adventures and challenges he becomes stronger, and learns awesome ninja arts)

3. Shakugan no Shana ( Shana the Flame Haze, with a flame god hanging around the neck, silently protecting the world from evil)

4. zero no tsukaima (Louise is the magic schools number one looser, she can't even do "easy" magic the right way. During their second year at school their supposed to summon a familiar! and guess what? She does it wrong! A Human from another dimension becomes her familiar instead, and the story develops around their growing passion for each other and the challenges they face)

5. Koukaku no Regios ( In a post-apocalyptic world overrun with great beasts, humans are now living in roaming cities controlled by "electronic fairies". Layfon transfers to one of the Academic cities, but ends up having to fight yet again. With a secret past that won’t leave him alone, and unknown powers beyond most peoples imagination, as a former Heavens-Blade wielder. )

6. Fate/stay night (The Holy Grail War is a battle between seven magicians who each summon a mythical hero to fight for their cause. Shirou, whose magical talent were so low, that his foster faster didn't even bother to teach him about the war and its meaning. Shirou now finds himself in a bit of a pinch when he accidentally summons a hero of the strongest class, and is sucked into the war of the holy grail, which can grant any wish.)

7. Hajime no Ippo ( Ippo is a loser. He has no friends, he spends his free time helping his mom with work, and he's constantly being beaten up by bullies. But that all changes when one day he's saved from another beating by Takamura, an up-and-coming boxer. Soon, Ippo turns his life around with a passion for the newly discovered sport, but his new lifestyle is far from easy!)

8. InuYasha ( Kagome is a normal high school girl who falls into a well, transporting her back in time to the feudal era. Upon her arrival to this world, she mercifully unleashes Inuyasha, a half demon. As if this isn't enough, she also discovers that she is the bearer of the Shikon no Tama, a jewel of great spiritual power, a jewel which has just shattered into a million shards. Now, along with Miroku the priest, Sango the demon hunter, and Shippou the mischievious fox-demon, they must set out to find the Shikon shards and defeat the evils of the demon Naraku.)

9. History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi (Shirahama “weak legs” Kenichi is a typical high school student with typical problems: he’s frequently bullied and tends to run away in the face of his enemies. Things change when Kenichi meets Furinji Miu, whose grandfather runs a dojo; and not knowing what he’s getting himself into, he signs up to become a disciple. As Kenichi’s life-threatening training continues and he becomes more and more powerful, he inadvertently becomes the target of the deadly gang called Ragnarok.)

10.Fairy Tail (This fairly new series is about Lucy, a seventeen-year-old mage with the power to summon stellar spirits. She has her eyes set on joining a mage guild (that's what mages do right), and not just any guild. Oh no, she wants to join the legendary guild, Fairy Tail, Where most powerful mages gather. After a series of event's she runs into Natsu and Happy (A flying cat) which happens to be members of Fairy tail! After destroying half a town with his fire magic (Dragon slayer to be precise) he brings Lucy back with him to the guild, and their adventure begins!)

Man this is hard, i have so many more i want up there!!

Some feedback of my 10 choices would be appreciable, and i noticed that my descriptions just kept getting longer and longer : P

If you survive to read another day after my wall of text, i would hope you took your time to post a reply in this, hopefully awesome thread!

User avatar
Nykesutre
Warrior
Warrior
Posts: 137
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:27 pm
Gender: [Female][/Female]
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Re: Any anime nerds / otakus out here?

Post by Nykesutre » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:03 pm

YAY!
1. Neon Genesis Evangelion
2. Tsubasa Chronicles
3. Shagukan No Shana
4. Revolutionary Girl Utena
5. Venus VS Virus
6. Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne
and the list keeps getting longer...
<Passions and emotions set off the reaction. You must try to eliminate the emotions.>

Valkyrie
Gedd
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:24 pm
Gender: [Female][/Female]

Re: Any anime nerds / otakus out here?

Post by Valkyrie » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:06 pm

Well just to add a bit more to it...

Favorite Japanese TV Shows
1. Cutie Honey The Live (favorite magical girl series ever)
2. Garo (imagine M rated Power Rangers with armor instead of spandex)
3. Sh15uya (basically The World Ends With You ripped off their plot)

As for my favorite anime, the numbering constantly changes so I won't number them.

Princess Tutu
Hellsing
Tokyo Mew Mew
Le Chevaler D'Eon
Sailor Moon
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Axis Powers Hetalia
Soul Eater
Excel Saga
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

User avatar
mytym2reign
Warrior
Warrior
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:49 am
Gender: [Female][/Female]
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Re: Any anime nerds / otakus out here?

Post by mytym2reign » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:42 am

My fave animes
1. Ouran Host club
2 Lovely complex
3. Special A
4. Itazura na kiss
5. Hakushaku to yousei
6. Vampire Knight
7. God! save our king
8. Nyan Koi
9. La corda d'oro primo passo
10. Bleach/ Naruto
Life is an adventure. Take the challenge

And who we are
Has brought us here
And I'm not running from tonight...........

bloodyneutral
Gedd
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:14 am
Gender: [Female][/Female]

Re: Any anime nerds / otakus out here?

Post by bloodyneutral » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:57 am

Oh dear.

Well.. I enjoy watching/reading CLAMP's works like; xxxHolic, Tsubasa Chronicles, Kobato,Cardcaptor Sakura and so on.. The art is stunning and the stories are very original, creepy, child-like.. and very insightful and meaningful plots.

I do also like sports manga/anime like; Tennis no Oujisama, Ookiku Furikabute, Kuroko no Basket and so on... Sports manga/anime are so thrilling! XD And sometimes I just can't stand watching or reading Shoujo when it's all about romance and teenage angst.. Sometimes we want sports! With strong bonds between team-members and friends! Aaah.. Prince of Tennis. <3 I should also mention Hikaru no Go... even though Go isn't a sport, but it is still awesome. XD

PURE SHOUNEN!! Let's see. Naruto (even though I've stopped watching the anime and simply read it now, omg the suspense.), Kateikyoushi Hitman Reborn(WOHO!), One Piece (I'm only reading the manga, but oh how exciting it is xD), 07 - Ghost... speaking of good manga.. PETSHOP OF HORRORS for those who likes creepy vibes, also found in xxxHolic..

I don't read/watch shoujo often, but I sometimes do.. And the touching stories I really like are NANA, Paradise Kiss... I suppose Cardcaptor Sakura and Kobato is also shoujo? XD But it's from CLAMP and they are always awesome. XD Some funny non-CLAMP shoujo are also Kaichou no Maid-sama, Kimi ni todoke (frustrating but loveable characters!!! XD) etc...

And how did I forget this? I'm a yaoi-otaku. XD
Junjou Romantica. Funny and pure yaoi. XD
Gravitation. Music and CHAOS. So, why not?

Bah, that's all for now. XD

User avatar
TF.
Poke'mon Master
Poke'mon Master
Posts: 1950
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:19 am
Gender: [Male][/Male]
Location: We can't tell you who we are. Or where we live. It's too risky... (Australia)

Re: Any anime nerds / otakus out here?

Post by TF. » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:34 am

I'm not going to admit to being an 'anime nerd' but I have seen a few. The only ones I've actually enjoyed are the English versions of Pokemon and Dragonball but I've got through a fair bit of Code Geass, Cowboy Bebop, Gunslinger Girls, FLCL and Ergo Proxy- they're all absolutely terrible.

Is there actually any anime out there that has a coherent plot, doesn't focus exclusively on giant mecha or matrix-esque gunfights and is for adults? Do Bleach, Naruto, Neon Genesis Evangelion or any of the others above satisfy this?
Image Image Image Image

bloodyneutral
Gedd
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:14 am
Gender: [Female][/Female]

Re: Any anime nerds / otakus out here?

Post by bloodyneutral » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:37 am

Well, since you did enjoy Dragonball, I guess you liked the fighting/saving the world kind of plot? And the fights, can't forget that. XD Then Naruto, Bleach, Kateikyoushi Hitman Reborn are some I can recommend.. I haven't seen Neon Genesis but my friend says it's good (but it has mecha and it's not really my thing xD)..

User avatar
capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 6981
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 8:40 am
Gender: [Male][/Male]
Favourite Animorph: Tobias
Location: The rabbit hole. That thing goes deep, man.

Re: Any anime nerds / otakus out here?

Post by capnnerefir » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:47 am

I've never watched much anime, and I've hated most of what I've seen. That said, there were a few things that I enjoyed.

Digimon (seasons 1 and 2): Season 1 was (unintentionally on their part) hilarious. About half the time, the characters just said and did such stupid things it was hilarious. Also, the animation errors and shortcuts were just plain silly. I can't count how many times characters just stood there with their mouths open, with NOTHING moving in the background. Season 2 was amazing, though. It was everything Season 1 was not: well-written, intelligent, heart-felt, and pretty serious at times. There sere several moments where I actually cried - yeah, me. Digimon Adventure 02 was freaking amazing. Season 3 was bland, and the ones after that just sucked.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Yeah, that shouldn't be a surprise. This was the show that convinced me to give anime another chance, and it was just freaking spectacular. It was, in all aspects, one of the greatest things I've ever seen. There just isn't anything to really compare it to, it's that epic.

Also, Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo is, for some reason, hilarious even if I have NO idea what's going on at any given time. It's odd to see Richard Epcar as the protagonist, but that's far from the strangest thing about that show.

User avatar
nomadsland
Commander
Commander
Posts: 453
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:21 pm
Gender: [Female][/Female]
Favourite Animorph: Marco
Location: cruising through striv space

Re: Any anime nerds / otakus out here?

Post by nomadsland » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:14 pm

I'm incredibly picky about my anime shows, which is why I rarely ever watch it anymore. That being said, here are some shows that I like that may fit your criteria, TF:

Samurai Champloo
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Death Note (I preferred the manga, but it translated quite well to anime)
Monster
Fullmetal Alchemist
Avatar: The Last Airbender (not sure if this can be considered anime, but it's a fantastic series and I definitely recommend this one)

You might be a bit more reserved about checking these out, but they have a special place in my heart:
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Gundam Wing (I have to admit, I'm a sucker for this kind of mecha)
Bleach
Launch forth into the deep

Allons-y!

User avatar
TF.
Poke'mon Master
Poke'mon Master
Posts: 1950
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:19 am
Gender: [Male][/Male]
Location: We can't tell you who we are. Or where we live. It's too risky... (Australia)

Re: Any anime nerds / otakus out here?

Post by TF. » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:16 pm

bloodyneutral wrote:Well, since you did enjoy Dragonball, I guess you liked the fighting/saving the world kind of plot? And the fights, can't forget that. XD Then Naruto, Bleach, Kateikyoushi Hitman Reborn are some I can recommend.. I haven't seen Neon Genesis but my friend says it's good (but it has mecha and it's not really my thing xD)..
capnnerefir wrote:I've never watched much anime, and I've hated most of what I've seen. That said, there were a few things that I enjoyed.

Digimon (seasons 1 and 2): Season 1 was (unintentionally on their part) hilarious. About half the time, the characters just said and did such stupid things it was hilarious. Also, the animation errors and shortcuts were just plain silly. I can't count how many times characters just stood there with their mouths open, with NOTHING moving in the background. Season 2 was amazing, though. It was everything Season 1 was not: well-written, intelligent, heart-felt, and pretty serious at times. There sere several moments where I actually cried - yeah, me. Digimon Adventure 02 was freaking amazing. Season 3 was bland, and the ones after that just sucked.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Yeah, that shouldn't be a surprise. This was the show that convinced me to give anime another chance, and it was just freaking spectacular. It was, in all aspects, one of the greatest things I've ever seen. There just isn't anything to really compare it to, it's that epic.

Also, Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo is, for some reason, hilarious even if I have NO idea what's going on at any given time. It's odd to see Richard Epcar as the protagonist, but that's far from the strangest thing about that show.
nomadsland wrote:I'm incredibly picky about my anime shows, which is why I rarely ever watch it anymore. That being said, here are some shows that I like that may fit your criteria, TF:

Samurai Champloo
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Death Note (I preferred the manga, but it translated quite well to anime)
Monster
Fullmetal Alchemist
Avatar: The Last Airbender (not sure if this can be considered anime, but it's a fantastic series and I definitely recommend this one)

You might be a bit more reserved about checking these out, but they have a special place in my heart:
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Gundam Wing (I have to admit, I'm a sucker for this kind of mecha)
Bleach
I am definitely checking some of these out. I've got a friend who downloads them by the gigabyte- these summer holidays should be good.
Image Image Image Image

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CCBot [Bot] and 0 guests