PlayStation, altitude, and NoClip

Discuss about games here
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
gh astly
Djentle Djiant
Djentle Djiant
Favourite Animorph: Marco

PlayStation, altitude, and NoClip

Post by gh astly » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:03 am

Well, what a title for a thread.
This is just a general question for PlayStation nerds out there like myself, and that is: in most 3d PS1 games, if you get your character to a certain altitude (Z-position), do you enter a no-clip version of the area you're in? I was wondering this because I have seen it happen in two games, Ape Escape and Spyro 3, and in both of them, this event happened (and Ape Escape even had some trippy camera angles!). Weird question, I know, but I am curious about that.
Animorphs: The Abridged Series. Post there so I'm not lonely.

So just shut your face and take a seat, 'cause after all, we're just talking meat. And music?

Well, it's just entertainment, folks.

Cavo245
Gedd
Favourite Animorph: Ax

Re: PlayStation, altitude, and NoClip

Post by Cavo245 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:34 am

Welp, if only for Ulillillia, I know there is no such problem in Bubsy 3D. My PlayStation knowledge is severely lacking, otherwise. Hmm... I know that there are Z-coordinate restrictions in most games now; in fact, I think that games made in Unity, Unreal, and Source require boundaries to be set on all scenes (thank goodness they all have dedicated no-clip commands). The no-clip problem generally arose when the developers didn't set any upper bound on the level and players exited the scene; understandable, since they probably didn't expect anyone to ever be able to get up that high. When you exit the level in either game you mention, can you just fall back down into the level, or do you stand on an invisible roof where the skybox would normally display? It doesn't really matter since it's the same problem, regardless; it's just a quirk of how they made the game.
Remember; take it easy and enjoy your lifetime!

gh astly
Djentle Djiant
Djentle Djiant
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Re: PlayStation, altitude, and NoClip

Post by gh astly » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:57 pm

In Ape escape, I know for a fact that you can fall back into the level, but I have no clue about Spyro, since I have not tried the glitch myself. I don't think we should be using Bubsy 3D as a standard for game design, lol.
Now I'm curious as to whether this occurs in not just other PS1 games, but in other systems as well. Hm, guess I have to go hunting for a N64 GameShark.
Animorphs: The Abridged Series. Post there so I'm not lonely.

So just shut your face and take a seat, 'cause after all, we're just talking meat. And music?

Well, it's just entertainment, folks.