Mass Effect

Discuss about games here
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
Spencer
Rampant AI
Rampant AI
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Mass Effect

Post by Spencer » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:34 am

Many of us enjoyed star wars: kotor by bioware. In 2007 bioware released an RPG called Mass Effect, which in my opinion was an excellent game. It's available for Xbox 360 and pc. So what did you guys think? I loved the story and the gameplay, and if you do all the side quests, the story really has a lot of depth to it.

On January 26th, the sequel Mass Effect 2 comes out. I can't wait.

AneeshTheGreat
Donator
Donator

Re: Mass Effect

Post by AneeshTheGreat » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:48 am

Well, i can't say anything about the game myself considering my comp is way too ancient to play recent games. I just wanted to ask, are you aware of the MAJOR fiasco that took place over the SecuROM issues with Mass Effect? The security of the game required the player to validate the game over the internet, not only during installation (as is standard with PC games these days) but every 10 days, failing which the application refuses to run till it's next re-validated? It's totally ridiculous, and led to a lot of unpopularity because of it (or so i've heard).
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand Binary, and those who don't. Now 1/4th a Computer Scientist (or Computer Science Engineer, depending on my mood), i can safely say i fall into the first category.

capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Post by capnnerefir » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:42 pm

AneeshTheGreat wrote:Well, i can't say anything about the game myself considering my comp is way too ancient to play recent games. I just wanted to ask, are you aware of the MAJOR fiasco that took place over the SecuROM issues with Mass Effect? The security of the game required the player to validate the game over the internet, not only during installation (as is standard with PC games these days) but every 10 days, failing which the application refuses to run till it's next re-validated? It's totally ridiculous, and led to a lot of unpopularity because of it (or so i've heard).
If I remember correctly, they did away with that system.

What really gets me is the sex scandal. Yes, that's right, sex scandal.
Cthulhu knows how, a bunch of media types got it into their heads that in MassEffect, there were hardcore sex scenes. No wait,you controlled the character during those scenes. No wait, it was sex with aliens. No wait, you could have sex with anyone. No wait, you could rape aliens in that game. The networks got this into their heads and ran with it until someone FINALLY convinced someone from one of them (I believe it was Fox news, actually) to play the game. Well, the guy who played it found out that the only sex scene in the game was less explicit than some things he saw in Disney movies and told everyone to STFU because none of what they heard was true.

The rest of the networks pretty much just pretended that never happened after that.

Spencer
Rampant AI
Rampant AI

Post by Spencer » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:28 am

Ah yes I remember that. That was fun. And that scene is completely optional. I didn't even get to it until playthrough 4. It's a romance subplot just like any other rpg. You don't have to do it if you don't want to.

No, mostly it's wiz bang shooty fun with biotic super powers. I like to play as an adept because it makes me feel like sylar. Muahahahahahaha!!!!!

As for the security thing, the Xbox versions don't have that, so it doesn't affect me.

AneeshTheGreat
Donator
Donator

Post by AneeshTheGreat » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:06 am

capnnerefir wrote: What really gets me is the sex scandal. Yes, that's right, sex scandal.
Cthulhu knows how, a bunch of media types got it into their heads that in MassEffect, there were hardcore sex scenes. No wait,you controlled the character during those scenes. No wait, it was sex with aliens. No wait, you could have sex with anyone. No wait, you could rape aliens in that game. The networks got this into their heads and ran with it until someone FINALLY convinced someone from one of them (I believe it was Fox news, actually) to play the game. Well, the guy who played it found out that the only sex scene in the game was less explicit than some things he saw in Disney movies and told everyone to STFU because none of what they heard was true.

The rest of the networks pretty much just pretended that never happened after that.
LOL, really? That's the funniest sex scandal i've heard since accusations that SpongeBob SquarePants is gay!
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand Binary, and those who don't. Now 1/4th a Computer Scientist (or Computer Science Engineer, depending on my mood), i can safely say i fall into the first category.

sskento
Gedd
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Post by sskento » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:37 pm

i just started the 2nd one. both great games.
I'm the boss of this boat, you can call me skipper,
The way I turn the money over you should call me flipper.

Spencer
Rampant AI
Rampant AI

Post by Spencer » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:50 pm

Indeed, loved the upgrades to the inventory system. One set of customizable armor, and like 30 total weapons. The Black Hole Gun being my favorite.

Dest
Prince
Prince
Favourite Animorph: Ax

Post by Dest » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:11 am

So far my favorite weapon in Mass Effect 2 is the 5-round burst assault rifle you get in Omega :D I got that upgrade and I was like "What? WHAT IS THIS SORCERY?"

I swear, I felt like I was holding a rapid-fire rocket launcher for some reason :P
Time is not wasted if you enjoyed what you were doing.

Blueberry Chicken
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Blueberry Chicken » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:12 pm

You have not seen the amazingness that is the Widow rifle. I know, I know, I keep talking about it, but if you get it fully upgraded, you can one-shot Harbinger.
"Sass, back before you, me, Blu, Vulf and BB used to roll together.We were tighter than emo jeans."
-Dest

Dest
Prince
Prince
Favourite Animorph: Ax

Post by Dest » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:45 am

Speaking of Harbringer, you know it took me four tries to realize that it wasn't a good idea to just be running around shooting up the Praetorian on Horizon?

I took cover after my fourth CRITICAL MISSION FAILURE and didn't lose my shields more than once :P I'm an idiot
Time is not wasted if you enjoyed what you were doing.