Review a movie thread

Saw a great movie? Why not post about it here?
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
BSerAkafanofblake
Admiral
Admiral
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Review a movie thread

Post by BSerAkafanofblake » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:52 pm

Give your opinion (sp?) on a film
Here is a example
Disney nature chimpanze
In case you guys did not know I,m I sucker for true story movies and most exteme animals this movie combines the two. It is also narrated by Tim Allen so it has a lot of humor
The main charecter chimps are Oscar, Freddy a chimp from a rival gang called scar ( lion king anyone?) And a chimp whose name my i phone may not let my type in
All in all a great film for nature fans
Plus some home improvement commentary.

rambof07
Gedd

Re: Review a movie thread

Post by rambof07 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:59 am

Ya i am a big fan of Disney movies. I have remembered even yet when i was child i was crazy about Disney movies. I have still a big collection of Disney movies. I like to watch them and animation movies too. Recently i have seen a animated movie Madagascar and it was really awesome movie.

BSerAkafanofblake
Admiral
Admiral

Post by BSerAkafanofblake » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:34 pm

The watch
7 the alien idea was cool I just did not like the constant use of sex terms.

Kryptoknight
Civilian

Post by Kryptoknight » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:55 pm

I recently saw Journey 2: The Mysterious Island. The experience wasn't as painful as I thought but it certainly had it's catches. Below is my review

When the film begins Sean (Josh Hutcherson), the boy from the first film, is now a teen (a slightly troubled one at that, imagine my shock) and he actually kicks off the movie by running from the cops on his dirt bike after a little B&E. His escape bounces between surprisingly competent and completely inept. Sean is oddly well versed in certain areas of the sciences now, having picked up his father's (and apparently as we learn in this film grand father's) obsession as a Vernian.

When the chase ends we are introduced the The Rock's character, Hank. Now, I must say, I don't know what it is about Dwayne Johnson, but I actually enjoy him as an actor. Possibly because almost all his films have a comedic element and I think that he does the comedy pretty well. he seems to be one of those guys who knows how he looks and comes across and isn't afraid to have a laugh about it. (Wait til you see the scene where he displays the "pec pop of love"). Hank is buddies with the local PD and keeps Sean's butt out of Juvie. When they get home we discover that Sean's mom has re-married and Hank is trying to be Mr. Suburban Dad and connect with Sean. It is of course falling mostly on deaf ears. Hank just happens to have expert cryptographic skills that Sean needs to decode a message he received. This leads to their discovery of the island and it's location and it spurs their trip to the island. This is where the movie really begins.

To get to the island they stop off in Palau to get a guide and a boat. All the sane guides of course refuse to go where they want and they are left with Gabato (Luiz Guzman), who will fill the role of comedy relief through the rest of the movie, and his daughter Kailani (Vanessa Hudgens), who will be playing the role of damsel in distress (although this is less apparent at first) and eye candy. Gabato takes on the role of Hank's goofy sidekick and honestly there are times when he seems to be a little too fond of the guy, but if you accept that his character is obviously meant to be there purely for laughs (which explains his often cowardly, sometimes whiny and greedy, and always goofy personality) he can be a welcome addition to the group.

Allow me to have a bit of an aside on Hudgens' character. I was honestly a bit disappointed here, first we get the impression that she is a strong willed, independent young woman who isn't going to be swept off her feet by our young explorer but once they get to the island this changes quickly. After a few saves she has fallen for Sean and moping about how they can't be together because of their differing stations in life. I had hoped that the life-saving would be a little more balanced, he saves her she saves him. Also they really put Hudgens forward as sexy eye candy in this film, she wears low rise short-shorts that literally could not be any shorter and still be called thus and she wears a thin tank top that of course does not cover her belly completely. I will admit she pulls this look off pretty well, but I felt a little like a dirty old man at first because the girl looks so damn YOUNG and they have her playing a teenager. I had to look her up and was glad to discover she is around 23, only about 5 years younger than myself. I felt much less squicky.

Okay, back to the island. So here's where we really get started. The island is actually pretty neat but there is one thing you must do to enjoy this movie. Suspend all disbelief. Now I know to some extent that is required for any film but here you must suspend ALL disbelief. Things simply do not age or deteriorate as they should, convenient plot devices abound. However putting all of that aside the island is beautiful and the creatures that inhabit it are fascinating departures from the norm. We get to see tiny elephants, giant insects, and a massive electric eel. There's even a shiny volcano that spews freaking gold. I will say this, it would not surprise me to learn that Hutcherson does a little parkour in his free time. There is an excellent little chase scene where he dashes through the jungle while being chased by the giant lizard that made me say to myself, "See Beef, this is how you do a jungle action scene without monkey business."

On the island we meet Sean's grandfather (Michael Caine), the last member of our little troop. However he is by no means the least, if the title of Most Interesting Man in the World weren't taken it would probably go to this guy. Caine is one of my favorite actors, I don't think I've yet to see a role from him I didn't enjoy.

Without getting too in-depth and spoilerific I will say this: I surprised myself in that I actually enjoyed this film. I laughed several times and once I finally stopped saying "That can't happen!" and let go of reason I can actually say it was a fun little family film. My wife and son both enjoyed the movie greatly. If you go in expecting a great movie you'll obviously be let down. If you go in expecting things to make sense scientifically or biologically, you will similarly be let down. If you can suspend all your disbelief and just want a decent "popcorn flick" then you will definitely get a laugh out of this movie.

I'd rate it at about a three and a half giant bees out of five.