alice in wonderland the 2010 version

Saw a great movie? Why not post about it here?
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
Daphnia
Warrior
Warrior
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Re: alice in wonderland the 2010 version

Post by Daphnia » Sun May 08, 2011 11:38 am

I thought it would be great since it's Tim Burton and Johnny Depp, my fave duo. but eventhough I saw it in 3D it didn't have the "wow"-effect like Avatar. and it was pretty brutal too.

SamilinCorrathGahar
Ruler of Everything
Ruler of Everything
Favourite Animorph: Ax

Post by SamilinCorrathGahar » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:45 am

TF. wrote:
Uh... I read a book, makes me so confused cuz I'm so young that tym. Now, no need to reread it, I already watched the movie...
There's a fair bit in the book that you wouldn't see in the movie.
<I just hate it when people say that. The sad thing is that this post could be copy/pasted onto ANY topic about a book that has been turned into a movie and nobody would ever no it.>
<As for Johnny Depp, he has been in EVERY MOVIE in the last 100 years!>
<or at least rumored to be in every movie before it comes out.>
<Also he is old enough to be the father of 3/4th of the people who have a crush on him.>
<Try this: Take your fav Johnny Depp fantasy, and re-cast it with your father in the Johnny Depp roil. Did that make you want to hurl?>
<Yeah, I thought so.>
<Yes, it is I, Captain Samilin-Corrath-Gahar of the Andalite ship Ascalin, and ruler of everything .>

Aftran-one-six-two
Aristh
Aristh

Post by Aftran-one-six-two » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:32 pm

I read the book, i got confused but im not good at reading. I have watched the new movie, i loved it!!!!! Watched the older movie when i was very young.

xenawarriorprincess
Prince
Prince
Favourite Animorph: Rachel

Post by xenawarriorprincess » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:30 pm

It was alright as a stand alone movie, but since Alice in Wonderland is one of my favourite books, the movie is unforgivable. It was terrible.

Sassy_Cat
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Sassy_Cat » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:47 pm

TF. wrote:
Uh... I read a book, makes me so confused cuz I'm so young that tym. Now, no need to reread it, I already watched the movie...
There's a fair bit in the book that you wouldn't see in the movie.
More than you'd think actually. I didn't see any orange marmalade in the movie, so there's one, if unimportant thing.
"Don't think. Thinking is the enemy of creativity. It's self-conscious, and anything self-conscious is lousy. You can't try to do things. You simply must do things."
- Ray Bradbury

My amazing blog- http://yasreadyas.blogspot.com/

GwenS
Gedd

Post by GwenS » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:46 am

I personally didn't care for the movie at all. My biggest problem with it was that - to me - it looked like it wanted to be two different things at once. It was like it couldn't decide between being like the 50s(?) version, in that you'd have Alice wander around, run into the denizens of Wonderland, they'll do their bit and then she'll wander around some more, or if they were going for a more Wizard of Oz type approach, where she'd haul the other characters along with her, go on a quest/adventure with them, and save the day. If it was either one of these done SEPARATELY, I would have been fine with it, and for the first bit of it, it DID look like the first idea. It wasn't until they brought out and focused so much time on The Red Queen and The Mad Hatter (Helena Bonham Carter and Johnny Depp's characters), that it began to blur.

The Red Queen and The Mad Hatter, unlike the rest of the Wonderland characters, were made to be main characters. I can excuse/understand The Red Queen's position, because she's the main antagonist, but The Mad Hatter seemed to be trying to fight Alice for the position of head main character, which threw the movie off, especially when every other character stuck to the sidelines and came and went when needed. It was really distracting, because Alice (the character who's supposed to be the main focus) was a lot more quiet and restrained than The Mad Hatter and a lot of focus is put on The Mad Hatter (and his character is much more, "Look at me!" than "charismatic mentor"), but the movie keeps trying to say, "Oh, don't worry! Alice is the main character, honest!" And by the end of it, I just didn't care anymore.

I think that it would have been a much stronger movie if Tim Burton had just gone full out and made The Mad Hatter the main character and made the entire story from his perspective, and had Alice as a supporting character/secret weapon. It's pretty obvious that that's what he wanted to do anyway.

But seriously, Tim Burton and Johnny Depp need to take a break from each other. -_-

BabelFish42
Admiral
Admiral
Favourite Animorph: Cassie

Post by BabelFish42 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:48 pm

Really interesting analysis. I'm not sure I'm the best qualified person to talk about this movie, since the only time I ever saw it, I could barely hear and see it. But what I remember seems to support what you're saying. I wasn't that into the movie either, but I'm not sure how much of that was because the movie itself was bad, and how much was because I couldn't always hear/see what was going on very clearly.
Anifan on Reddit: "Do you realize you're one of the reasons why I write fiction in my free time?"
KA: "So sorry to get you into writing. What a horrible thing to inflict on you. Should have just sold you crack."