The Alien: Why Isn't Tom Suspicious Of "Cousin Phillip"?

Discussions regarding the Animorphs books
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
Tim Bruening
Prince
Prince
Favourite Animorph: Cassie

The Alien: Why Isn't Tom Suspicious Of "Cousin Phillip"?

Post by Tim Bruening » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:59 pm

The Alien: Ax pretends to be Jake's cousin Phillip, and goes to school. Shouldn't that make Tom suspicious, since he would know that Jake doesn't have a cousin named Phillip?

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Re: The Alien: Why Isn't Tom Suspicious Of "Cousin Phillip"?

Post by Tobias_Marco » Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:20 pm

<As the first born of my parents five children, I didn't pay a lot of attendance to what my younger siblings were doing at school.>
<Now if Jake brought his cousin home for dinner, then there would have been problems.>
<We can also ask about the age difference here between Jake and Tom.>
<If Tom is 19 or older, then he is likely in collage, and more than likely not spending a lot of time at his parent's house.>
<If Tom is 18, then he is a senior in high school.>
<If Tom is 17, then he is a junior in high school.>
<If Tom is 16, then he is a softmore in high school.>
<If Tom were 15, then he would be a freshman, and people wouldn't be making as big a deal about him. Tom is clearly no longer a freshman at the start of the first book.>

<If Jake is 15, then he is a freshman, and would go to the same high school as Tom, however if Tom is a senior, then he will want to stay as far away from his little brother as possible.>
<If Jake is 13 or 14, then he will attend Jr. High/middle school, and would therefore be going to an entirely different building, several city blocks away. In this case Jake and Tom would not even see each other during school hours. Unless of course Tom is picking Jake up from school.>
<If Jake is any age younger than 13, then he is in elementary school, in which case, Tom REALLY wouldn't be hanging out anywhere near Jake during school hours.>

"I'm a sixteen-year-old kid named Jake Berenson, and I am the leader of the Animorphs. In the past it's been hard for me to say that, to take on the title of leader. In the past I've questioned myself. Wondered whether I was right, wondered whether what I did was good, wondered whether I had any right to make life-and-death decisions. I've felt sorry for myself at times. Maybe anyone would, in my spot. But I had to put all that aside now. I had put it all aside. Not because I was suddenly convinced that I deserved the power, was worthy of it. That wasn't it. I knew better than to get too caught up in the myth of Mighty Jake the Yeerk Killer. I had given up soul-searching because I realized now that it was simply too late. Way past too late."
<This is a 16 year old Jake, a softmore in high school, during "The Answer" which says that they have been fighting the Yeerks for 3 years, so the first book would have taken place when Jake was 13, and in middle school, probably not even going to school in the same building as Tom.>

TLDR;
<Let's go over all that again.>
<In the first book Jake is 13, and attending middle school, the books take place over the course of 3 years, not counting any time travel, or the last part of the last book. For the first two years of the war Jake and Tom would have been going to different schools several city blocks away from each other. They would have not seen each other during the course of the school day.>
<During the last year of the war Jake would have been a freshman in high school, and if Tom is even still in school, he is probably a senior, and as anyone who has attended high school in the United States will tell you, seniors and freshmen don't talk or socialize with each other. The fact that they are brothers means that they can talk a little bit, however they would keep it to the briefest of talks.>
True education, true science, true religion is the search for truth.
Matthew 28:16-20, John 3:14-20