Reading your old fan fics

Discussions regarding the Animorphs books
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
inspectorjavert
Civilian
Favourite Animorph: Rachel

Reading your old fan fics

Post by inspectorjavert » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:45 am

So I was feeling pretty good about myself and decided "Hey, that's not right" so I logged in to my old fanfiction account and read some of my old Animorph stories. I am now on my third bottle of moonshine and still have yet to forget how mind numbingly awful they are.

My fan fics were all connected and alas self insert based. My character was a generic badass who formed his own animorph team after figuring out that the books were really a secret effort by the Animorphs to expose the invasion. Long story short the two teams joined up and several poorly written chapters full of spelling and grammar errors and casual swearing later they blow up the Yeerk pool. Here's the link to my profile if you plan to read them please make sure you wear gloves to avoid injuring yourself when you facepalm. https://www.fanfiction.net/~inspectorjavertenjolas

I think one good thing about doing this is you can see how you've changed over time as a writer and think of how you'd do your story better. Here's what I've come up with regarding my own fanfics, I list my mistakes first and then how I'd correct them.

1. I had too many extra characters that were around just to get killed.??
If I do it again I'd cut it down to just a few main characters, develop them properly and only kill off one or two of them.

2. My character was a Gary Stu Among other thigns my character invented a way to change Nothlit's back to their original form, had a ton of money from his dead parent's will and owned a massive mansion deep in the woods. He was also immune from infestation due to a surgery he had to correct his hearing.
I'd keep some of my characters traits, I think it might keep surgical impediment to infestation since there is some cannon support for small ear canals blocking a Yeerk's passage. I would however give this a few drawbacks: headaches and ear infections would be side effects he'd have just from the presence of the implants in addition I'd make the implants removable for when he morphs and the process of removal being unpleasant though bearable. I'd keep him an average college student without any special science skills and have him struggling to make ends meet as his parent's life insurance and will wasn't that big to begin with and most of it is being funneled into helping him fight the war.

3. Reserved for future codifcaiton

So does anyone here read their old fics? Did you learn anything by reflecting on your mistakes? What did you like and dislike about your old work? Lets have a mini writers workship right here! :D

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Re: Reading your old fan fics

Post by Tobias_Marco » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:13 pm

<Sorry I have never read any of your stories yet.>
<Wouldn't morphing undo the surgery?>
<I have an unfinished, unpublished Animorph fan-fic about a Christian girl who was in the construction site the day Elfangor landed. Cassie is five years younger than everyone else and Rachel was babysitting her and didn't want to miss a sale at the mall.>
True education, true science, true religion is the search for truth.
Matthew 28:16-20, John 3:14-20

inspectorjavert
Civilian

Post by inspectorjavert » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:46 pm

Thats really cute actually, you might want to consider posting it.

Yeah morphing would undo the surgery which is one of the reasons I cringe when reading it now ;).

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle

Post by Tobias_Marco » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:09 pm

<One touch I had was when they go back to the days of dinosaurs she flips out, because this whole dinosaurs in a time with no humans means that the bible is a lie. So she has no idea what to believe.>

inspectorjavert
Civilian

Post by inspectorjavert » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:48 pm

Well i don't think dinosaurs without humans means the Bible is a lie at all. Just because it isn't literal in some parts doesn't mean its a lie elsewhere and just because it isn't literal doesn't mean it can't still impart wisdom, or that it wasn't based on something that really happened.

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle

Post by Tobias_Marco » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:08 am

<The best liers know that they can't lie all the time. You tell MOSTLY the truth, then just enough lie to get other people to do and think what you want them to. Kind of like giving a dog a pill by putting it inside a piece of hotdog.>

<1. Logic dictates that if all my statments are true, and I deal with them logicly, then my conclusions will also be true.>
<2. Logicly if even one of my statments is false OR I don't use logic property, then my conclusions will be false, or at least have an unknown truth value.>
<3. God exists.>
<4. God is a perfect being who sees all, hears all and knows all.>
<5. As a perfect being God can not lie, nor can he tolerate any sin, this is why he had to send Jesus Christ to take on all the sin of the world.>
<6. The Holy Bible was writen by many diffrent humans, however they each only wrote what God told them to write.>
<7. The Holy Bible says that God created the universe in 6 days and rested on the 7th day.>
<8. The Holy Bible says that God created oceans on the 2ed day.>
<9. The Holy Bible says that God created plants on the 3rd day.>
<10. The Holy Bible says that God created the sun, moon and stars on the 4th day.>
<11. The Holy Bible says that God created fish and birds on the 5th day.>
<12. The Holy Bible says that God created all the beasts of the field on the 6th day, then he created humans.>
<13. The theory of evolution says that the sun, moon and stars came FIRST, then oceans, then plants, then fish, then beasts of the field, then birds, then humans.>
<14. If someone is a lier, than nobody can know the truthfulness of anything they say.>
<15. The Holy Bible says in Genesis chapters 5 and 6 that Adam was 130 years old when he had a son named Seth, who in turn was 105 when he had a son named Enosh, this continues until we get to a man named Noah who was 500 years old when he had his sons Shem, Ham and Japheth. Then Noah was 600 years old when the flood came, and some easy math tells us that the world was 1656 years old when the flood came.>
<16. You have just gone back in time and encountered dinosaurs and two different groups of aliens.>
<17. One of the groups of aliens have a writen history that goes back unbroken more than 2000 years.>
<18. These same aliens also show you enough of their history to prove that it goes back that far, and proof that there are no large mammals on the planet yet, including elephants, gorillas or humans, who should have all been made during the same dat of creation as dinosaurs.>
<Conclusion 1: because Christianity and evolution each have a diffrent order for these key events, then they can't both be correct. One is wrong and the other is correct or else they are both wrong.>
<Conclusion 2: If it can be proven that dinosaurs who walked on the land, and thus part of the 6th day of creation, lived for more than a day without humans being on Earth, then that means that God either does not exist, or is a lier, and if he is a lier than he can not be trusted.>
<Conclusion 3: If the days of creation were not litteraly 24 hours long, and were actually thousands of years long, then how could plants have lived before the sun? How could plants have reproduced for so long without any pollinators?>

inspectorjavert
Civilian

Post by inspectorjavert » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:06 pm

OOOOOKAY this thread is off in a strange direction. Seeing as there is little activity here anyway perhaps I'd be more comfortable elsewhere.

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle

Post by Tobias_Marco » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:28 pm

<Sorry. I didn't mean to go down that rabbit hole.>
<This place use to have a lot more traffic.>

Ramona
Commander
Commander

Post by Ramona » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:44 pm

Scaring off newbies already, TM? :P

Fortunately, I never wrote OCs in my fanfics so I never had the self-insert/mary-sue issues. The only time kid!me accepted OCs was in the form of animals. If I was reading fanfic, it was because I wanted to read more about the characters and not someone else's character. Having said that, I failed at keeping them in-character.

I do have a terribly-written fanfic about Dude-the-cat, Homer-the-Dog, Fluffy and Euclid (?) being cared for and not abused by Melissa who ran away from her parents. I think the dogs might have found their way to the Chee but honestly, the paper is a wreck and what I can read is terrible.

Edit: @inspectorjavert, re the "tortured mind" fanfic, "not your typical self insertation!", was it a typical self-insertion?
Look at me. I am your own nightmare....Okay, I'm not, I'm just some random on the internet that couldn't think of a witty line. Humour me?

Tobias_Marco
Proud Uncle
Proud Uncle

Post by Tobias_Marco » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:14 pm

<Sorry. I didn't mean to.>
<What if I wrote a fan-fic where all the members of Animorphs fan forum came back, and they all logged in at the same time? Would that help?>