Thought-Speak Problems

Discussions regarding the Animorphs books
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
SaritaWolf
Warrior
Warrior

Thought-Speak Problems

Post by SaritaWolf » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:48 pm

While rereading book 23 (The Pretender) something got to me and has been bothering me for quite some time. :C I hope I'll be able to explain it, I'm not very good at explanations. :?

Okay, so in Book 23, Tobias morphs a Hork-Bajir. Hork-Bajir can normally talk and I think he does some of that, but most of the time he thought-speaks. Now, if he can thought-speak in the body of a creature that can talk anyway, how come he can't thought-speak while in human morph?

Also, on a mostly unrelated note, Bek, the baby Hork-Bajir, replies in thought-speak. Was that a typo or can Hork-Bajir naturally thought-speak?

capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Animorph: Tobias

Re: Thought-Speak Problems

Post by capnnerefir » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:35 pm

Throughout the series, there are several (19, if I remember correctly) instances where someone uses thought-speak when they actually cannot (like with Bek). I think that's just a typo.

As for Tobias thought-speaking as a Hork... I think KAA decided that all morphs could thought-speak, event thought this was not her original intention. for example, in the beginning of the series, Ax cannot use thought-speak while in human morph; by the end of the series, this problem is long gone.

SaritaWolf
Warrior
Warrior

Post by SaritaWolf » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:45 pm

Ah, I see now. I haven't gotten to the end of the series yet (I have trouble getting a hold of the books; fortunately I just found the E-Books that come with this forum. I'll be reading all night XD)

So... if one of the Animorphs morphs a human, will they be able to use thought-speak?

capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator

Post by capnnerefir » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:54 pm

According to all logical progression, yes. In fact, I believe they can use it even when not morphed as long as they're talking to someone who is in morph or an Andalite (see book no. 1). However, they seem to forget this during the initial explosion of information and never remember it, nor is it ever pointed out to them. If they morph other humans (a rare occurrence, but one that does happen) they will probably not realize that they can use thought-speak.

mikes
Gedd
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Post by mikes » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:07 pm

technically as was said earlier they can thought speak in their normal bodies as shown in
Spoiler:
when cassie thought spoke to jake in#48

Pangaban
Gedd

Post by Pangaban » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:21 am

Yeah this is one of the biggest mistakes/oversights that I've noticed in the books. I haven't read The Invasion (book 1) in a long time, but I thought at the start that the Animorphs thought spoke to Elfangor when they directed thoughts at him.

And they can definitely thought-speak while they're in human morphs by the end of the series. I'm pretty sure that would have saved them a lot of trouble in earlier books...

ShadowMorph
Gedd

Post by ShadowMorph » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:15 am

I too was always thrown off by how in the begining Ax couldnt use thought-speak while in human morph. Then somewhere along the road, he suddenly could.

grantneodude
Civilian
Favourite Animorph: Ax

Post by grantneodude » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:00 pm

Could be a simple case of them never trying or thinking about it before a certain point. Also the association with Ax could have opened up their minds to the point where it was possible. I mean we only use a tiny portion of our minds so who's to say that perhaps during the course of the series they didn't unlock the potential to do so through morphing and their contact with Ax? That's a couple explanations right there.

Also it could be that it simply was a helpful mechanism for the story. That's one of the things about fiction. Doesn't always have to make scientific sense(although you tend to get less criticism when it does) :)

fdragon010
Warrior
Warrior
Location: Somewhere north of the South Pole and south of the North Pole

Post by fdragon010 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:49 pm

Pangaban wrote:Yeah this is one of the biggest mistakes/oversights that I've noticed in the books. I haven't read The Invasion (book 1) in a long time, but I thought at the start that the Animorphs thought spoke to Elfangor when they directed thoughts at him.

And they can definitely thought-speak while they're in human morphs by the end of the series. I'm pretty sure that would have saved them a lot of trouble in earlier books...
I think in book one Jake even talks to Tobias with his mind, but then after book one it was like K.A. just forgot about it.

could have saved em a lot of trouble if they remembered that they could do that...
Image Dracula: Because real vampires do not sparkle...unless you want me to laugh at them.

bindaaskshitij
Donator
Donator
Favourite Animorph: Marco

Post by bindaaskshitij » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:59 pm

What people have been saying is quite to the point. Applegate herself may not have explained it....But consider this more like, suppressing the natural instinct of a lower IQ morph.

What i mean is...when you morph a Taxxon, or an ant suppose, the human brain power is higher than the morph's brain power....So when you morph and control the natural instinct, you could talk in ant lingo or whatever they talk in and still get your message across, but the human natural instinct is to make speech in its way..so they use thought speech.

Similarly, when you morph a hork bajir, your natural instinct in lesser brainy and alien morphs is to use thought speech..so you could do that as well. But when you morph a human, you know you could communicate well with both forms of speech...so even when cassie morphed rachel, she used human speech...

hope you all have understood....
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?