Casualty reports?

Discussions regarding the Animorphs books
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules carefully before you post.

If you like AnimorphsFanForum.com, please consider making a donation. Any donation will go towards the cost of the hosting, the domain and any other running costs.
User avatar
Cyberhamon
Batman
Batman
Posts: 4758
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:36 pm
Gender: [Male][/Male]
Favourite Animorph: Marco
Location: Right Behind You. LOOK OUT!

Re: Casualty reports?

Post by Cyberhamon » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:07 am

capnnerefir wrote:I generally try to stay out of other people's arguments, but I will say this. Zophar is infinitely more qualified to determine how professional soldiers would act than either Snoopy or Cyberhamon. If he says that professional soldiers would act in a certain way, that is his professional diagnosis and not the opinion of a 16-year-old kid (no offense) who has had no military experience.
Proof of said qualification? I could say that I'm qualified to teach Advanced Quantum Mechanics, but that doesn't make it true. And I don't know about Snoopy, but I'm going to be turning 18 in 6 days. So there. It sounds to me like you're siding with him more because of your personal relationship than because of personal opinion, because even in my sleep deprived state, I can tell that his argument makes little sense.
Image

Excuses are like buttholes. Everyone has them, and they all stink.

Image

Credit for the above graphics goes to Ellimist.

IF YOU'RE COOL, THEN POST HERE

User avatar
Snoopy
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 5674
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:34 am
Gender: [Male][/Male]
Favourite Animorph: Jake
Location: Out in the middle of nowhere, USA

Re: Casualty reports?

Post by Snoopy » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:23 am

Cyberhamon wrote:
capnnerefir wrote:I generally try to stay out of other people's arguments, but I will say this. Zophar is infinitely more qualified to determine how professional soldiers would act than either Snoopy or Cyberhamon. If he says that professional soldiers would act in a certain way, that is his professional diagnosis and not the opinion of a 16-year-old kid (no offense) who has had no military experience.
Proof of said qualification? I could say that I'm qualified to teach Advanced Quantum Mechanics, but that doesn't make it true. And I don't know about Snoopy, but I'm going to be turning 18 in 6 days. So there. It sounds to me like you're siding with him more because of your personal relationship than because of personal opinion, because even in my sleep deprived state, I can tell that his argument makes little sense.
Not only does his arguement make little sense, but his so called qualification to determine the behavior of professional soldiers is totally irrelevant. Why? Because the Animorphs were not professional, trained soldiers. They were kids. So even if a professional trained soldier would have just ignored the threat of disaster and let it happen, that has no bearing on this discussion. We know the Animorphs. And they never would have let that happen.
Image

If you experience any problems, please do not hesitate to PM or email me.

Image

User avatar
capnnerefir
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 6981
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 8:40 am
Gender: [Male][/Male]
Favourite Animorph: Tobias
Location: The rabbit hole. That thing goes deep, man.

Re: Casualty reports?

Post by capnnerefir » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:10 pm

@Cyberhamon: When it comes to proof, you'll just have to take my word for this. He has military experience. He is a trained soldier and spends most of his time with other trained soldiers. He knows them in a way that you probably never will because he is one.
And believe me, we never agree on things because of any personal relationship. Usually, that causes us to disagree over everything.I only agree with him when I know he's right.

@Snoopy: I can't help but disagree with you. They may have started out as random kids, but by this point in the series, they were most certainly professionals. They had discipline, they had a chain of command, they had their assigned roles. After so much on-the-job training, they were professional soldiers. And Ax, obviously, was a professional.

User avatar
Cyberhamon
Batman
Batman
Posts: 4758
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:36 pm
Gender: [Male][/Male]
Favourite Animorph: Marco
Location: Right Behind You. LOOK OUT!

Re: Casualty reports?

Post by Cyberhamon » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:23 pm

capnnerefir wrote:@Snoopy: I can't help but disagree with you. They may have started out as random kids, but by this point in the series, they were most certainly professionals. They had discipline, they had a chain of command, they had their assigned roles. After so much on-the-job training, they were professional soldiers. And Ax, obviously, was a professional.
Ax was the only exception, and he wasn't even in play, so he is irrelevant. And I really hope that you realize the internal contradiction in what you and Zophar said. Were there a real established chain of command, and Jake were the leader, he would never really cede control under any circumstances. Meaning that if they were professionals, Jake would still have been in charge, and would have intervened. And if they weren't professionals, they still would have intervened. Besides, in the military, squadmates are supposed to help each other out. So I really can't think of any circumstances where they would not have tried to help Marco. In other words, it was nothing other than a ghostwriter's screwup.
Image

Excuses are like buttholes. Everyone has them, and they all stink.

Image

Credit for the above graphics goes to Ellimist.

IF YOU'RE COOL, THEN POST HERE

User avatar
Snoopy
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 5674
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:34 am
Gender: [Male][/Male]
Favourite Animorph: Jake
Location: Out in the middle of nowhere, USA

Re: Casualty reports?

Post by Snoopy » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:58 pm

Cyberhamon wrote:
capnnerefir wrote:@Snoopy: I can't help but disagree with you. They may have started out as random kids, but by this point in the series, they were most certainly professionals. They had discipline, they had a chain of command, they had their assigned roles. After so much on-the-job training, they were professional soldiers. And Ax, obviously, was a professional.
Ax was the only exception, and he wasn't even in play, so he is irrelevant. And I really hope that you realize the internal contradiction in what you and Zophar said. Were there a real established chain of command, and Jake were the leader, he would never really cede control under any circumstances. Meaning that if they were professionals, Jake would still have been in charge, and would have intervened. And if they weren't professionals, they still would have intervened. Besides, in the military, squadmates are supposed to help each other out. So I really can't think of any circumstances where they would not have tried to help Marco. In other words, it was nothing other than a ghostwriter's screwup.
And the simple fact of the matter is, we know they weren't professionals. And even if they were on par with professionals, I'm sure they're not on par with the type Zophar is familiar with. They are much closer to highly trained, highly specified soldiers, not the ordinary, every-day type. That's a whole different thing.

Besides, as I've said before, we have multiple examples of the Animorphs operating outside of their orders and doing what's necessary to save themselves. There's no reason to believe they should behave any differently in this situation.
Image

If you experience any problems, please do not hesitate to PM or email me.

Image